Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 12:01 PM

57 posts, read 752,834 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm hoping I can get some feedback on moving

My wife and I are looking to move somewhere a little warmer than Minnesota. Here's a list of what we are looking for and I want to know your suggestions in terms of which cities are good.

1- close to the Oceans
2- low crime rate
3- More liberal than Minnesota (good community or social programs and a sense of shared future or shared community)
4- Nice people, more friendly. not fake but nice (I know I know we can't generalize but it doesn't hurt to add this to the list)
5- mostly Democratic representation (few or no Republicans elected into office)
6- scenic (available hiking and state parks close by or in city)
7- plenty of trees and parks and trails within city limits
8- Not a desert region (no cactus but cedar tress plz)
9- Not colder than 0F in winters (no -20 windchill plz)
10- A good public transportation system + pedestrian friendly
11- low pollution (good air and water quality standards)
12- does not feel disconnected from the rest of the US
13- cultured (theater, libraries, operas, public radio, public TV, liberal radio channels, good school districts)
14- Moderate cost of living (similar to the Twin Cities)
15- Availability of organic food
16- Affordable tier 1 or tier 2 law schools (but not ones that are impossible to get in (top 20) )

I say "city" but I mean general area, for instance I live in the Twin cities area now, not in Minneapolis but a suburb, this would be the case with other places. I wouldn't want to live in a down town but in a close by suburb (or the city itself if not too crowded)

We want to have access to what a large city can offer (cultural stuff, museums, airports, higher education, jobs, etc..) while not dealing with too much crime or congestion (parks, nice people, ocean beaches)

Thanks guys

Last edited by ethanre; 03-24-2009 at 12:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 01:38 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Santa Barbara, California

Old 03-24-2009, 01:47 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
It would be nice to find such a place. So many of us are looking for the exact same or similiar location. Im not really sure it actually exists in this country any longer.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:59 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanre View Post

My wife and I are looking to move somewhere a little warmer than Minnesota. Here's a list of what we are looking for and I want to know your suggestions in terms of which cities are good.

1- close to the Oceans
2- low crime rate
3- More liberal than Minnesota (good community or social programs and a sense of shared future or shared community)
4- Nice people, more friendly. not fake but nice (I know I know we can't generalize but it doesn't hurt to add this to the list)
13- cultured (theater, libraries, operas, public radio, public TV, liberal radio channels, good school districts)
16- Affordable tier 1 or tier 2 law schools (but not ones that are impossible to get in (top 20) )

I say "city" but I mean general area, for instance I live in the Twin cities area now, not in Minneapolis but a suburb, this would be the case with other places. I wouldn't want to live in a down town but in a close by suburb (or the city itself if not too crowded)

We want to have access to what a large city can offer (cultural stuff, museums, airports, higher education, jobs, etc..) while not dealing with too much crime or congestion (parks, nice people, ocean beaches)

Thanks guys
When you find this place, please share with the rest of us!

Old 03-24-2009, 02:41 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanre View Post

1- close to the Oceans
2- low crime rate

Thanks guys
Sounds like a good place to live to me!

Tallahasee is liberal by North Florida standards...I'm not sure if it would be liberal enough for yours, but:

1. We're as close as you can get without having to evacuate for hurricanes.
2. Except for a few small areas that account for 90% of the crime, most of the city is very safe.
3. Never lived in Minnesota so I can't relate except to say that Tally is a very family-oriented place.
4. Yes.
5. This city has gone Blue in every election since....1845?
6. Yes, definitely yes. This place is covered with parks. Very green.
7. See above. We have parks coming out of our ears here.
8. It's all forest. The city is in a forest, and next to a National Forest.
9. 15F is as cold as I ever saw it get here, usually temps <20F happen only for a week or two. It's Florida!
10. FAIL. It's the South. What is this public transportation system idea of which you speak? Only hippies and communists don't own cars here.
11. EXTREMELY low pollution here. We are surrounded by forest and farmland and there is virtually no heavy industry.
12. That could be a problem...we are somewhat isolated. 4-6 hours from major cities (2-3 to Jacksonville).
13. Yeah, we got that, or at least a lot of it for a city this size.
14. It's not too bad here.
15. It's available. Plenty of hippies and vegans here. Plus, this is an agricultural nexus for the region, so farmer's markets abound.
16. I don't think FSU law school is in top 20 - nevetheless it is getting impossible to get in. Going to law school in a state capital, however, has its advantages...like being able to get a job!

Old 03-24-2009, 02:53 PM

Thank you!
I added Tallahasee to my list I had not considered Florida until now

How's the cost of living there? Homes/land/rent too pricey?

Old 03-24-2009, 07:07 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I would say Ithaca, NY, but 1 and 9 hurts it's cause. It is on a lake though and I don't think it gets THAT cold there.

Maybe New Brunswick or Piscataway, NJ, but again 9 might be the only thing holding that back. That's where Rutgers is located.

Maybe parts of the Tidewater area in Virginia might do.

What about San Diego?

Old 03-24-2009, 07:59 PM

awesome, I will add them to my list

Old 03-24-2009, 10:20 PM

I'm assuming Jimrob1 was referring to the current economic depression (its not a recession anymore) in the US

Old 03-25-2009, 02:10 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
San Diego
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.