Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 02:23 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,726,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The vast majority of rural areas in the Upland South have very little German ancestry. This is particularly true in most parts of Appalachian KY, TN, WV, NC etc
I didn't realize we were talking about the rural South...anyway, there are some areas of the South with German heritage - specifically in NC, SC, LA, and TX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 05:21 PM

583 posts, read 1,319,772 times
Up until the past decade or so, German ancestry was more prevelant than any other, across the board, looking at the ancestry of the nation as a whole.

Being of German decent myself, and never having been to WI or MN or ND, but growing up in New England where the average person was Irish and/or Italian of which I also am to a lesser degree, I've always wondered if more heavily German or Scandinavian parts of the country had a different culture, just as Latino's imprint their culture to an area, or Mormans, as an example. The facts are that the Irish and Italians came to this country from utter poverty and little education; Germans were more educated to a certain degree and highly skilled in trade and labor. There must have been a difference, but it doesn't matter anymore, --times are changing, and it will never be more important that future Americans regardless of ethnic heritage can compete with the rest of the world in terms of job skills and education.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:42 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,629,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltatrix View Post
Up until the past decade or so, German ancestry was more prevelant than any other, across the board, looking at the ancestry of the nation as a whole.

Being of German decent myself, and never having been to WI or MN or ND, but growing up in New England where the average person was Irish and/or Italian of which I also am to a lesser degree, I've always wondered if more heavily German or Scandinavian parts of the country had a different culture, just as Latino's imprint their culture to an area, or Mormans, as an example. The facts are that the Irish and Italians came to this country from utter poverty and little education; Germans were more educated to a certain degree and highly skilled in trade and labor. There must have been a difference, but it doesn't matter anymore, --times are changing, and it will never be more important that future Americans regardless of ethnic heritage can compete with the rest of the world in terms of job skills and education.
I am from German decent and I grew up in a small farming community in central Minnesota. It was a very very strong German Catholic community that even had an all-German newpaper until the 1950's. Along with many other German communities in Minnesota - It was very clean, tidy and well-mannered. People were reserved, polite, hard-working and very religious. They could also drink a lot of beer. In my town of about 2,000 people, there were 5 churches and 7 bars, haha. Tons of German last names and German type foods...

Old 04-25-2011, 09:59 PM

35 posts, read 32,161 times
A little off-topic, but interesting. I found out Hitler's family moved to and raised kids not far from where I used to live. But here's the good news-- they fled the country because they didn't support him. From what I heard, the family kept to themselves. I don't blame em!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.