Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2007, 09:01 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times

Advertisements

Perhaps not everyone knows about the New York Foundation for the Arts. Although it is NYC-based, it highlights issues nationally for artists, including: scholarships, grants, housing, etc. This issue of their newsletter talks about housing:

http://www.nyfa.org/nyfa_current.asp?id=17&fid=6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the link. I may just end up driving up to Montreal, and perhaps elsewhere if time and fuel prices are compatible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_eh_ND View Post
If you're gonna be on the East coast, check this site for Eastern Canada... www.goeasterncanada.com

Old 04-12-2007, 12:33 PM

774 posts, read 2,496,155 times
Saugatuck, Michigan is a great small town for artists. It's home to the summer residence program for the Art Institute of Chicago, so that spurred a lot of artists to congregate in that area. It's a beach town on Lake Michigan with a lot of second home owners from Chicago since it's less than 2 hours away from the Loop. The downsides are that housing prices are pretty expensive for the Midwest (this isn't part of the down-and-out real estate market of Michigan overall - prices are more tied to the Chicago market) and it's slow during the winter months without as many tourists.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:50 AM

Hello, Frank the Tank, sorry I didn't thank you but just got a reminder that you had shared this fascinating area (after reading another of your posts in P&oC).

I wish it were possible--to literally--visit all of the suggestions we've had on the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Saugatuck, Michigan is a great small town for artists. It's home to the summer residence program for the Art Institute of Chicago, so that spurred a lot of artists to congregate in that area. It's a beach town on Lake Michigan with a lot of second home owners from Chicago since it's less than 2 hours away from the Loop. The downsides are that housing prices are pretty expensive for the Midwest (this isn't part of the down-and-out real estate market of Michigan overall - prices are more tied to the Chicago market) and it's slow during the winter months without as many tourists.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:57 PM

271 posts, read 1,125,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment 07 View Post
Good idea, OTR!

More ideas, albeit smallish towns with an emphasis on the arts, try a search for John Villani's books (getting mixed reviews, though!).

Just perusing the comments at Amazon.com for the paperback version of The 100 Best Small Art Towns in America, I see these mentioned:

Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Hot Springs, Arkansas
Northport, Alabama
Boone, North Carolina
Asheville, North Carolina

The inclusion of Northport, Alabama surprised me, but it is a river town just a stone's throw from Tuscaloosa, home to the University of Alabama. Probably revitalized now and affordable. Interesting.
I agree that Northport, Alabama is not an artsy town, I lived in Tuscaloosa which is next door for a few years and there is absolutely no art worth to mention in either town. I also lived in Hot Springs, AR and Ashville, NC, however I agree that there might be some minor art there.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:46 AM

thanks, tito, for dropping by and offering your views on some of the suggested towns.

I am about to leave Pittsburgh, tomorrow, and will write up a little blurb (in a day or three) on how much I think this city would be a good match for some. It has far more than I ever realized, and far more than I have been able to see.

Take care, all--and luck!

Old 05-03-2007, 01:48 AM

121 posts, read 391,701 times
Default Think Twice About Moving to Montana

I think people need to understand that Montana is a hard place for artists (actually anyone, not just artists) unless you are already well established or are rich. Housing is expensive compared to the wages paid for the few jobs that are available. Sure you can buy a house for as little as $150,000 in some of the more remote towns but it is tough to make those payments when most of the jobs available only pay $8-$11/hour (and many even less). And what many consider the artsy towns--Missoula and Bozeman are out of the question for most of us (the cheapest SF house in Bozeman right now is @$224,000 for 2 bed, 1300sf--most livable houses are much more). There are some well known artists that live here and manage to make a living but they are truly the exception. Most artists I know, myself included are not well known or established and have had to work at two or three jobs just to keep our heads above water, and then there is no time for making art. In fact, I am looking at moving to where I can afford to buy a house, slow down to just one job and do my art.

I also disagree with Lorelei. I worked and lived in Helena and it is far from affordable. Same story as above, low wages and ridiculously high priced real estate compared to the wages (although not yet as high as Bozeman or Missoula). Many of the people that were born here in Montana just can't afford to live here anymore. I wish it weren't true but somebody needs to warn people--Montana is a hard place to make a living unless you are willing to work, work, work and have no time to enjoy the natural beauty or do you art. If you are not already rich and need to work, think twice about moving here.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:46 AM

Thanks, jenzebel, for adding your POV on Montana and the arts. I noted you also posted in the Montana forum.

Certainly we all have so many varied ideas about cost of living, an artist community and art, in general.

It makes for some challenging, but interesting, conversations.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:15 AM

182 posts, read 810,954 times
Default Tampa anyone?

just posted on the Tampa forum and thought I'd ask here. anyone have knowledge/experience with the art scene there. Been doing research and I keep bumping into the place. I plan to run down there next week to visit their museum. thanks!

Old 05-04-2007, 03:20 PM

121 posts, read 391,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Thanks, jenzebel, for adding your POV on Montana and the arts. I noted you also posted in the Montana forum.

Certainly we all have so many varied ideas about cost of living, an artist community and art, in general.

It makes for some challenging, but interesting, conversations.
Thanks ontheroad. You are right, everyone has their different idea of paradise. I am looking forward to getting ideas from this post on some artist friendly but affordable places. I try to practice voluntary simplicity, so I really don't require much materially, but I would like an area where I can afford to buy or build a tiny home without working multiple jobs, uncrowded natural surroundings(because I have been and always will be a country gal) and some like-minded people in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.