Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 09:27 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times

Advertisements

Here's my recap:

After traveling from NM to the East Coast, circling all of New England, sojourning in the Owl Head Mountains of VT for three months in near meditative silence, and on the road, literally, for three others, I've parked my car and myself in the Delaware Water Basin (at the juncture of NY, PA and NJ) in a 2-storey clapboard saltbox on a babbling brook.

It is serendipity, but may be the right place! Lots going on.

I've also gotten a potential agent for a funny book or at least I hope a readably amusing book about finding the "right" place after being in all the wrong places.

Input from all welcomed! Questions? Remarks? These too are welcomed.

Best to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 12:02 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Here's my recap:

After traveling from NM to the East Coast, circling all of New England, sojourning in the Owl Head Mountains of VT for three months in near meditative silence, and on the road, literally, for three others, I've parked my car and myself in the Delaware Water Basin (at the juncture of NY, PA and NJ) in a 2-storey clapboard saltbox on a babbling brook.

It is serendipity, but may be the right place! Lots going on.

I've also gotten a potential agent for a funny book or at least I hope a readably amusing book about finding the "right" place after being in all the wrong places.

Input from all welcomed! Questions? Remarks? These too are welcomed.

Best to all.
Congratulations OTR! It sounds wonderful. Is it close enough to get to NYC easily and the Catskills for hiking? How did you finally pick the place?

I was just back to NM for two weeks and still think about moving back there--I got to talk about history and art with people who love both--just not finding that in WA. The downside was my allergies went nuts in the desert.

The book would sell to all of us wanderers looking for our utopia. Let us know when it gets done.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:38 PM

Thanks for responding.

Yes, it is about 1-1/2 hours from NYC, and an easy, leisurely drive to the Catskills--about 15 miles I reckon.

How I picked the place is more serendipity than choice. I was in VT for 3 months looking for the perfect place and it just didn't come together. One of my oldest friends called and said she had found a 2-bedroom house in the Delaware Basin, took some pictures of it, and I packed up my studio retreat in the Owl, got into an overstuffed car and drove across from Bennington. I could feel my heart pounding when I crossed the border, but I think the goddesses were looking over my shoulder, because with just one week actually sleeping here, I think I might really be home.

I just had the loveliest morning: drove to White Sulphur Spring to pick up some autumn colour to plant before the frost; stopped in Youngsville and nabbed a repro Tiffany and a great armchair for the dining room table (great buys) and then managed to arrive in Callicoon for the last of their farmers' market. I was so hungry by then I just keep filling up the bag, and now I'm about to eat a home made quiche.

Wisteria asked me to talk more about the tri-state area and I will do that later when I have a better handle on it all. Yesterday I did go down to Port Jervis (NY) for an art show, but it turned out we had misread the date and it is today. However, we had a great lunch, browsed around some antique shops, and also found a small, thoroughly wonderful farmers' market in progress. The radishes were photogenic.

I am 7 miles from the NYS border, and my neighbours are artists, or at least two across the road, another down the road, and quite a few in neighbouring towns who I have met or already knew. So, I am lucky. I have two of my oldest friends within 20 miles, another newer friend, and a hot-shot pr man about 15 miles away, a great art center 15 miles away, and probably much more I haven't discovered in this wee week of wonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Congratulations OTR! It sounds wonderful. Is it close enough to get to NYC easily and the Catskills for hiking? How did you finally pick the place?

I was just back to NM for two weeks and still think about moving back there--I got to talk about history and art with people who love both--just not finding that in WA. The downside was my allergies went nuts in the desert.

The book would sell to all of us wanderers looking for our utopia. Let us know when it gets done.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:09 PM

I love Goddess Serendipity - wish she'd show up more! Last night I had the best time since moving to WA. A friend invited me to a party about an hour south of Olympia that was hosted by a potter on their farm. Outside was a fire and children running around with stars shining overhead; inside a potluck and musicians and artists sitting in a cozy dimly lit second story room of the barn listening to great music. Even had a bat hanging out overhead in the rafters. They had just finished a two week Art Trails event and were celebrating. Getting to talk to other potters was inspiring. I felt at home. Artists need the community of other artists. It's great you've found that OTR. I'm still looking. In the meantime, I'm considering getting a storage unit to put my stuff in so I can turn my place into a studio. Who needs chairs!

Old 09-23-2007, 09:39 PM

Sounds like a great time, Dancingearth!

And yes I need a few more chairs if the kids come over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
I love Goddess Serendipity - wish she'd show up more! Last night I had the best time since moving to WA. A friend invited me to a party about an hour south of Olympia that was hosted by a potter on their farm. Outside was a fire and children running around with stars shining overhead; inside a potluck and musicians and artists sitting in a cozy dimly lit second story room of the barn listening to great music. Even had a bat hanging out overhead in the rafters. They had just finished a two week Art Trails event and were celebrating. Getting to talk to other potters was inspiring. I felt at home. Artists need the community of other artists. It's great you've found that OTR. I'm still looking. In the meantime, I'm considering getting a storage unit to put my stuff in so I can turn my place into a studio. Who needs chairs!

Old 10-08-2007, 05:29 PM

74 posts, read 307,082 times
Default Yes and No

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenzebel View Post
ontheroad: I'm wondering if Spokane might work for some folks visiting this thread. It has been awhile since I've been there but I remember it having nice parks, affordable housing for a small city and I think it has a developing art scene. Spokane Arts Org, has a web site with more info.
I just came back from investigating Spokane as a possible place to relocate. It seemed like the ideal place. Like you mentioned, jenzebel, it is affordable and has nice parks. It also has 4 seasons and has many lakes and recreational opportunities in the area. I am relocating from the Lower East Side of Manhattan; I grew up there and I am fleeing the insanity that is now Manhattan.

When I first arrived in Spokane and walked around River Front Park I was ecstatic and thought I found what I was looking for. The downtown is clean and really quaint and the surrounding country is beautiful. Unfortunately, I do not feel like I would fit in with the people. I found the people to be very friendly, however, I also found them to be a bit too vanilla and nondescript for me. The city lacked a sense of vitality; It is hard to describe but something just seemed a bit "off." I know I would probably be the town freak if I did move there

Perhaps I am wrong, but art communities tend to be eclectic and diverse; Spokane seemed a bit too conservative and the mood of the city seemed depressed to me. I was supposed to stay for 5 days but after 3 I left because I just felt too out of place. Arguably I didn't give it enough time, but that was my gut reaction and I went with it. My 16-year-old daughter had the same feeling.

If a couple of thousand of you want to relocate to Spokane with me I would be happy to go. In my opinion the city would need a major infusion of diversity to make it a viable arts community. It definately has a lot going for it otherwise.

In the meantime, I am checking out Pittsburgh at the end of the month; seems promising based on some of the positive things I read about it in this thread.

Thanks ontheroad for your reports and insights!

Old 10-08-2007, 08:23 PM

TheLongestJourney - you should have come to this side of the state - Olympia had their art walk Friday night. Lots of music and art. Good luck in Pittsburgh - tell us all about it.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:35 PM

Thank you, TheLongestJourney, for sharing your thoughts and experiences. (BTW, I lived in the East Village...a long time ago)

I think you'll find much in Pittsburgh--but be aware that the art community is not evident, but buried, small golden nuggets.

Good luck, and yes, do keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongestJourney... View Post
I just came back from investigating Spokane as a possible place to relocate. It seemed like the ideal place. Like you mentioned, jenzebel, it is affordable and has nice parks. It also has 4 seasons and has many lakes and recreational opportunities in the area. I am relocating from the Lower East Side of Manhattan; I grew up there and I am fleeing the insanity that is now Manhattan.

When I first arrived in Spokane and walked around River Front Park I was ecstatic and thought I found what I was looking for. The downtown is clean and really quaint and the surrounding country is beautiful. Unfortunately, I do not feel like I would fit in with the people. I found the people to be very friendly, however, I also found them to be a bit too vanilla and nondescript for me. The city lacked a sense of vitality; It is hard to describe but something just seemed a bit "off." I know I would probably be the town freak if I did move there

Perhaps I am wrong, but art communities tend to be eclectic and diverse; Spokane seemed a bit too conservative and the mood of the city seemed depressed to me. I was supposed to stay for 5 days but after 3 I left because I just felt too out of place. Arguably I didn't give it enough time, but that was my gut reaction and I went with it. My 16-year-old daughter had the same feeling.

If a couple of thousand of you want to relocate to Spokane with me I would be happy to go. In my opinion the city would need a major infusion of diversity to make it a viable arts community. It definately has a lot going for it otherwise.

In the meantime, I am checking out Pittsburgh at the end of the month; seems promising based on some of the positive things I read about it in this thread.

Thanks ontheroad for your reports and insights!

Old 10-09-2007, 11:13 AM

74 posts, read 307,082 times
Dancingearth: Thanks! I actually was on your side of the Cascades; I flew into SeaTac and drove cross WA to Spokane. I then drove back to Federal Way for a few days and flew out of SeaTac back to NYC. I lived in Federal Way, WA for 1 1/2 years while I sublet my apartment in the East Village. My biggest concern in the Puget Sound area (besides the meth problems of the West coast) is cost of housing. I really want to buy something. I can only afford a lot and manufactured home in that region, but I would need to rent for a bit and I have a pit bull and two cats which is going to be challenging. The cats are easier but I'd hate to give up my dog; he is very sweet and good natured. If Pittsburgh doesn't work out I will be going back to the Puget Sound area in January. If so, perhaps we can meet for coffee; I will definately be looking at Olympia.

ontheroad: Thanks for the advice - I will keep you posted!

Old 11-21-2007, 06:29 AM

182 posts, read 810,954 times
Default decision made

Hello all,
Sorry for not writing sooner. I finally have decided to move back home which is New Orleans for me. And that decision is more personal than anything. I was there this past month and it just felt right. I hope to eventually buy a house with enough space for a studio, been looking at doubles that I could convert into a house/studio configuration. I've talked to insurance and mortgage people and its doable. Not any worse or better than what I have seen in other areas. The arts are alive and doing well in the city considering the storm was just 2 years ago. I am hopeful.
Good Luck to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.