Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 02:42 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I will say this and then I MUST shut down my computer and clean my house!

1) I am surprised to see Denver ranked as high as it is, though come to think of it, there is a lot of tax supported arts stuff going on around here.
Pittnurse
The city of Aurora was trying to put together housing for artists, a kind of live/work project. I thought it was so cool. Yeah, it's Aurora, but more power to them for trying to do something like this.
Aurora Arts District
Plaidmom
I love your interesting choices. Have heard great things about Nashville.
Gizmo
Carmel is one of the most gorgeous and inspiring places I've seen, but the cost of living there must be a bit prohibitive for an *undiscovered* artist.
Yet artists have their ways...sometimes it seems like all they need is beautiful light to get by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 06:21 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
I haven't really done much exploring yet, but I know that Pittsburgh has at least three (3) living/working artist spaces.

One in East Liberty; another on the South Side, and a third on the North Side described here:

http://www.popcitymedia.com/features/42luderowski.aspx

As soon as I get just a little more organised, I'll check out the North Side Mattress Factory area.

I've seen the two others and attended one of the best puppet theatre events I've ever seen several years ago at the space in the South Side. We are talking extraordinary, life sized and magical. I talked to one of the puppet masters for about 2 hours, first before and then after the show. I'd rate that conversation at the top of a long list of intelligent conversations on art and its process.

More later.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Pittnurse
The city of Aurora was trying to put together housing for artists, a kind of live/work project. I thought it was so cool. Yeah, it's Aurora, but more power to them for trying to do something like this.
Aurora Arts District
I have heard of the Aurora Arts District. I do not live near Aurora, so I don't know anything about it. There is also the Arvada Center For the Arts, and many, many smaller arts centers in the suburbs (which are almost all actually cities here), The Denver Center for the Performing Arts, Denver Art Museum, and several arts districts in Denver. One of the benefits of the SCFD tax (scientific and cultural facilites district) is that the first Saturday of every month is free day at the DAM. On April 7, my husband and I, our daughter in Denver and our niece and husband in Colorado Springs are going to go.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:51 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,064 times
In Massachusetts, we have Northampton, Provincetown, Newburyport, and Lenox.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:55 PM

Thanks, Hatless Wonder.

I lived outside Northampton and can attest to its appeal. I'd place it in my top 5 choices to consider as a possible nirvana. What Hampshire County has most cities can't compete with--kulture aplenty.

Newburyport is a perty town; and I will stop by again but I've only visited and not done much looking around at an art scene--although I have been many of the galleries. I'll check out Lenox and Provincetown during the summer and see how they feel, but after my disappointment with Taos, I'm not much for tourist towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatless Wonder View Post
In Massachusetts, we have Northampton, Provincetown, Newburyport, and Lenox.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:59 PM

Can you tell us a little about Yellow Springs, Crew Chief? I know from some watercolour friends that Ohio has many workshop opportunities, and one acquaintance in particular takes regular classes with one of the popular watercolour artist/writers for a pittance.

And, although this might not come to mind, Ohio has a reputation for good libraries, doesn't it? Libraries are one of my must haves in a community!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Yellow Springs, OH (East of Dayton) is what we've got in this neck of the woods!

Old 03-27-2007, 08:47 PM

156 posts, read 721,659 times
Hello fellow artists and art lovers, :-)
I have the John Villani books, the new edition and the older one, about the 100 Best Art towns. I've read them back and forth. The first book had 2 towns in NJ for example. Red Bank was one,and I live near there, and it's ok, but not what we'd consider really artist-friendly. It's no longer in the second book. Actually ,there are no towns in NJ in the new book.
I don't think you can make a living as an artist in many of the towns in the books...they're just not affordable, (like NYC, Santa Fe, & Carmel.)

Of all the art magazines I read, Sunshine Artist and Art Calendar have lists of the best art shows to sell at, and creative articles on how to increase your art sales.

One thing I got from those mags is that Florida and California have the most outdoor art shows, and the most successful ones too.
I mean, how can you sell your work here in NJ when there's only a few yearly shows? It has to do with the weather,obviously you can't have an art fair outside in the snowy winter.
That's one reason I don't want to move to a cold state and why I think I want to concentrate on FL & CA. You gotta have some people with money, tourists or not, expensive houses to fill with art, and people with a genuine love of art. Ideally, I'd love to be part of an art community where local people (&tourists) come to look at, and buy art.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:56 PM

Iriegirl, so glad to see you!

I agree about the place--the sales--the weather--the buyers. And trust you to have those books.

I had a really hard learning, but important lesson in selling art in Rhode Island. In Newport, it is a breeze to sell art, especially if it is not your own. In Providence, RI (which appears in Category 2, I believe) you can barely make a living selling anyone's art, especially your own.

Although there is a wonderful art community in Providence (including and excluding all of the RISD grads), no one seems to buy locally. So everyone sits around cafes and eats good Italian food, enjoys cold drinks in Spring and Summer on the Wharf, and bemoans the lack of a market.

Right now, though, I'd be happy to be on the wharf.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:21 PM

373 posts, read 1,852,551 times
I live in Helena, MT, and we're promoting ourselves as "The Best Small Art Town" in America. We have a very vibrant performing arts scene and a great modern art museum. We also have a unique and prestigous center where artists come and live to work on ceramic arts (the Archie Bray). There's also another artists' community in the area called Montana Artists' Refuge. We have art walks regularly, hold the Western Rendezvous of Art, and have various galleries and resident artists. We have jazz & blue grass festivals in the summer and a great restored territorial jail that is now a center for the performing arts. One of my neighbors makes fine Shaker furniture and ships it all over the world from his gallery. The cost of living is great, and there are many Victorian homes and mansions for sale or for rent. Come stay in Helena for a while! The natural surroundings will inspire you.

I also think Port Townsend, Washington, is a great little art community. However, prices have really skyrocketed there in the last few years.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:48 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Can you tell us a little about Yellow Springs, Crew Chief? I know from some watercolour friends that Ohio has many workshop opportunities, and one acquaintance in particular takes regular classes with one of the popular watercolour artist/writers for a pittance.

And, although this might not come to mind, Ohio has a reputation for good libraries, doesn't it? Libraries are one of my must haves in a community!
Ontheroad, unfortunately, I can't even tell you what color our house is (I say it's "green"; wife sez it's "grey") so I'm probably not the best person to ask about what goes on in Yellow Springs, art-wise... But I do know that it's the home of very liberal Antioch College, they have a number of artist-oriented programs and festivals (Sorry, you'll have to Google around since I'm almost brain-dead at the moment) Yellow Springs is in the Dayton area, but many of the folks over there seem to be able to think a little better for themselves than some of the rest of us, IMHO

As for libraries, I'm married to a teacher, so we have a vested interest in quality libraries. Our local (Washington Twp) has two good ones, I believe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.