Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:10 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving to the US in 2-3 years: my first pick is New England, I've heard they're comparatively unfriendly, but I'm not the type to judge on hearsay, so I'll expect common courtesy etc anywhere I go. Still, I'm curious if some states are friendlier to immigrants from other countries. Do you think they'd give preferential treatment to Australians rather than say, a Pakistani (to give an example)? Of course I don't expect that, I want to be treated like anyone else, and hopefully that is in a friendly, respectful way. Are residents of some states more wary of outsiders and immigrants who are non-Americans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 12:22 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,417,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm planning on moving to the US in 2-3 years: my first pick is New England, I've heard they're comparatively unfriendly, but I'm not the type to judge on hearsay, so I'll expect common courtesy etc anywhere I go. Still, I'm curious if some states are friendlier to immigrants from other countries. Do you think they'd give preferential treatment to Australians rather than say, a Pakistani (to give an example)? Of course I don't expect that, I want to be treated like anyone else, and hopefully that is in a friendly, respectful way. Are residents of some states more wary of outsiders and immigrants who are non-Americans?
New England is pretty friendly and tolerant, people there just don't fake extroversion that much and keep to themselves more. New England is not nearly as diverse as some of the other areas of the US, but that could just be due to a tendency for immigrants to cluster and get support from immigrant areas (and nearby New York City siphons many of those). New England states like Vermont, Maine and New Hampshire are over 95% white.

If you're an immigrant looking to assimilate to WASP culture, New England is pretty nice really. It's much, much less intimidating for an immigrant than say Alabama.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:48 AM

463 posts, read 1,564,621 times
There was an awesome thread that listed major American cities in order of immigrants per year, but I don't remember exactly which ones were on top. I think New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, San Fransisco, and Seatle are all places that are used to immigrants from all over the world and you can do well in these places.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:04 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
I can't speak for the US, but I found that when an immigrant moves to a place where there are few other immigrants, there is usually more honest interest in him or her than when an immigrant goes to a place that sees a lot of immigration, where locals feel like they are inundated with strangers who don't care for the local culture, anyway.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:59 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
New England is pretty friendly and tolerant, people there just don't fake extroversion that much and keep to themselves more. New England is not nearly as diverse as some of the other areas of the US, but that could just be due to a tendency for immigrants to cluster and get support from immigrant areas (and nearby New York City siphons many of those). New England states like Vermont, Maine and New Hampshire are over 95% white.

If you're an immigrant looking to assimilate to WASP culture, New England is pretty nice really. It's much, much less intimidating for an immigrant than say Alabama.
I'm sorry. But this post makes no sense. How does one "fake" extroversion?

And, a Yankee transplant to Alabama 15 years ago, I've found the people here are genuinely warm and very accepting of outsiders--as long as you respect their traditions and institutions. On the other hand, Northerners who come down and start whining about how they did things back in Cleveland won't get a very warm reception at all.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:17 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
As an Australian you probably will get better treatment (from some people) than you would if you were from many other places. There are some Americans who see the increasing use of Spanish, for example, in the US as a personal threat. I would think that differences will be on a smaller level, maybe cities versus suburbs versus small towns (with lots of variations within that, even) than state-by-state.

I love New England, some parts more than others, of course. I also don't buy into this belief that some areas of the country are "nicer" than others - the Midwest, or at least Minnesota and the Upper Midwest, gets bashed with this a lot, too; there are cultural variations from place to place in terms of communication style, and that can lead to some misunderstandings, but you'll find friendly and unfriendly people everywhere. New England also has tons of colleges and universities, and those schools are brimming with students and faculty from all over the world. Depending on where you end up you're unlikely to be only non-American in town, and in any case people in this country seem to love Australians.

Try reading Richard Florida's book Who's Your City. Who's Your City? He talks about the "personalities" of different regions and cities.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:32 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,685,650 times
New Jersey is filled with all sorts of people from all over the world. We're used to people over sea.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:37 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I can't speak for the US, but I found that when an immigrant moves to a place where there are few other immigrants, there is usually more honest interest in him or her than when an immigrant goes to a place that sees a lot of immigration, where locals feel like they are inundated with strangers who don't care for the local culture, anyway.
I was about to say the same thing. Many immigrants doesn't = more acceptability of immigrants, and can sometimes mean the opposite...Actually what people say about small town America perplexes me a bit, because here the folk in small towns seem especially friendly to visitors. Maybe it's 'fake extroversion' but I prefer to believe it's genuine.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:57 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Trimac20,

You should really compose a list of CITIES you're interested in and go from there. You really can't assume a whole state is this way or that regarding immigrants. The U.S. is extremely large and attitudes can vary from city to city within the same State.

Example: Be from the Middle East and walk through Atlanta and few people will pay much attention. Go 30 miles West of the City and half the town will watch every move you make - yet they're both in the same State. Likewise, I'm sure there are numerous cities in New England who are welcoming to immigrants, but a few miles in any direction outside of those cities in the same States, maybe the attitudes may be different.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:14 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
Western Washington State is pretty tolerant. I totally agree, though, that cities in general won't care but when you go outside the cities more people will take notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.