Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:46 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
CortlandGirl has spoken truthfully on what took place in the Youngstown/Warren area of Ohio. I'm not going to bash the South, but I will reflect the facts with regards to crime. The safest places to live in our country, as far as safety from violent crime, are in the Northern states. They are places like Scranton, PA, Johnstown, PA, Wheeling, WV, Fargo, ND, etc.

As a Northerner whose ancestors came to this great land after The Civil War, I believe that a lot of this low crime had to do with the good European values that were introduced into these Northern cities. In WI/MN/The Dakotas, German and Scandinavian Lutheran families with a strong family structure. In places like Scranton and Wheeling, Eastern European Catholic families with a strong family structure. In aforesaid types of families, you worked hard, prayed hard, and did what Mom and Dad told you. You didn't even consider breaking the law, as you feared the resulting punishment at home far more than that you would receive from the law.

When Southern migrants headed North, the cities that they headed to experienced spikes in crime, and the cities they did not head to stayed very safe. The pattern exists to this day. Just look at the UCR reports. Wheeling and Johnstown remain very safe, and places like Flint and Detroit are among the most dangerous cities in our nation. The only Southern cities that are very safe are in the Northern parts of Southern Appalachia, places like Huntington and Charleston, WV. My guess is that these places have closely knit families with a father present who raises his boys to be young gentleman. Around Youngstown/Warren, the lack of a father figure in the home is the number one cause of young men becoming delinquents, regardless of their race.
The ONLY southern cities that are "safe"? You need to do some research on such subjects before posting nonsense statements like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 10:53 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,623,824 times
My ancestors have lived in North Carolina since the colonial days.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:01 PM

421 posts, read 1,565,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The ONLY southern cities that are "safe"? You need to do some research on such subjects before posting nonsense statements like that.
I've read the UCR's for years. They are the source of my knowledge about crime rates. I suggest perusing the UCR's and The Places Rated Almanac, where crime rates of metro areas are listed. As far as the violent crimes, the safest places are all in Northern and Border states. Danville, VA, ranks pretty low, but has a higher murder rate than many Northern metros. WV cities rank favorably, as well as the small metro areas of Northwest Arkansas and Southwest Missouri.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:51 AM

72 posts, read 264,363 times
"What percentage of Southerners currently have ancestors who lived down here during the Civil War and what percentage have ancestors who moved down here from up North recently?"

-I think it is impossible to extract an exact answer to this question. I have lived in Florida my whole life and id say looking back that the vast majority of my friends growing up were the children of northern transplants. I was an anomaly because my family has been in the South for 250 years.

It seems that you are worried about the culture of the south disappearing. I hardly doubt that would happen. It will change over time for sure, but that is inevitable. I'm sure that 500 years down the road there will still be traces of southern culture in Texas.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:38 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
I've read the UCR's for years. They are the source of my knowledge about crime rates. I suggest perusing the UCR's and The Places Rated Almanac, where crime rates of metro areas are listed. As far as the violent crimes, the safest places are all in Northern and Border states. Danville, VA, ranks pretty low, but has a higher murder rate than many Northern metros. WV cities rank favorably, as well as the small metro areas of Northwest Arkansas and Southwest Missouri.
Completely false information...you don't know what you're talking about. Are you trying to say that EVERY city in the South is unsafe? That's ludicrous, and you know it.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:12 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,680,051 times
I'm not a southerner and never was and probably never will be but my father and most of his family dating back for quite awhile where in New Orleans.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:07 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,260 times
There were 9 million people in the South at the start of the Civil War. 3 million of those were slaves.
I would hazard to guess that most current Southerners have very little connection to that era. I could be wrong.
The Boston of the Civil War era was overwhelmingly English with a burgeoning Irish underclass that was taking over the city. Those were some of my ancestors. I also have ancestors who were in Sweden and France at that time.
Historically speaking the North has always been the more heavily populated area and the population had to equilibrate. Hence north to south migration.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:40 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Today though, while I stop short of calling it an "invasion", the migration to parts of the South (Florida, Texas, and Virginia in particular, but ever more North Carolina and Georgia) is by northerners who come down not to assimilate, but for opportunistic reasons and make no secret of their disdain and contempt for Southern culture, history, mannerisms, folkways, etc, etc.
So northerners should assimilate to the southern culture? Why, and what would be expected of this?

Will I be an outcast because I speak proper English with no southern accent?

Do you wonder why those northerners you seemed to have met have contempt for your "southern culture"? If not, read your post again Texas Rebel.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:14 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,602,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
So northerners should assimilate to the southern culture? Why, and what would be expected of this?
I thought it would be obvious that "assimilate" in this context means make a concious attempt to get along with new neighbors and accept that one is in a different environment and region. You (or anyone else) is free to come South and live...and doing so doesn't mean one has to adopt every facet of Southern culture. Too, as I said in the post you refer to, there is nothing intrinsically wrong with constructive critisism within the limits of good manners and tact. But it is up to the newcomer to learn these sometimes unwritten rules of what constitues such.

After all, if I moved to the NE or California, I would still be a Texan/Southerner. And still think of myself as such. At the same time, I hope I would refrain from telling the natives how they were doing it all wrong, or how backward they were, or how much better it was elsewhere, or whatever. I mean, I would be coming into their home. It would be up to me to at least try to conform to certain established customs of social interaction and all.

If one can't do that? And has nothing but contempt for the culture/history/accent/etc of their new locale (South or otherwise), then don't complain when you aren't exactly greeted and welcomed with open arms.

Quote:
Will I be an outcast because I speak proper English with no southern accent?
Are you suggesting one cannot speak proper English WITH a Southern accent? Hmmmmm. Anyway, no, you won't be an outcast unless such is your premise. Which it seems to be.

Quote:
Do you wonder why those northerners you seemed to have met have contempt for your "southern culture"? If not, read your post again Texas Rebel.
I have read the post. Obviously though, Doctor (is that title PhD, honorary or self-bestowed ) you haven't...or else missed the clear distinctions made within. So no, I don't wonder that. The genre which have contempt for the South usually bring it down with them. The northerners I've met? Which ones? The ones described above, or the ones who are my friends (both cyber and real time) and neighbors?

Last edited by TexasReb; 04-01-2009 at 12:12 PM..

Old 04-01-2009, 11:17 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
i have maintained strong connections. this was a good move. as history is rewritten frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.