Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the best?
Baltimore 37 30.58%
Cleveland 27 22.31%
Charlotte 57 47.11%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 03:51 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,628,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
So what do you have then? Name some things.

All of your college grads are moving to Charlotte. I've met 14 people at least in the last year that have all either graduated from BG, OU or OSU and all moved here.

Both have basketball teams. Both have football teams (1 place's basketball is good while one teams football is good). Both have colleges (although our's are just as good but much cheaper).

We have mountains and beaches. You have a lake and lots of rainy/snowy days.

You have the Rock and Roll hall of fame. We have the nascar hall of fame (I'll concede that point)

We have 9 Fortune 500 companies in our area. You have 11.

You have a bad pro baseball team. We just have a decent AAA baseball team.

We have the national whitewater center, 3 lakes within 30-45 mins, discovery place, carowinds, some of the best golf in the country and much better weather.
Ohio people move all over the US. And then bring back the cultures and stuff they learned to the area when they move back. I've known so many Ohioans who moved away and then move back. They really are EVERYWHERE. Any part of the US, has Ohioans (more so urban areas).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 05:56 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,710,930 times
And so the endless, pointless debate continues. Some people like cities with density, history and culture. Some people like endless suburbs, NASCAR and Billy Graham. I know which people I like to associate with. To each their own.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:01 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
And so the endless, pointless debate continues. Some people like cities with density, history and culture. Some people like endless suburbs, NASCAR and Billy Graham. I know which people I like to associate with. To each their own.
Some people also like a city that's making great progress, is looking towards the future, and isn't just resting on its past status as a major industrial hub. These same people also look at things like job growth, affordability, weather, etc. Baltimore is cool, but Cleveland has a major problem. When both the city AND the metro area are losing people, something's wrong--density, history, and culture notwithstanding. Those things can't save your city when it's sinking deeper and deeper into an abyss. Maybe it needs to look to the soulless suburb with the religious NASCAR fans that are doing lots of things RIGHT to get some inspiration.

And what's wrong with Billy Graham anyway? People cite this like it's some huge blight on the city. He's an upstanding guy who has always practiced what he preached and was never involved in any type of major scandal or anything. People need to get over that; can't call yourself tolerant and open-minded and yet malign others' religious beliefs.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Some people also like a city that's making great progress, is looking towards the future, and isn't just resting on its past status as a major industrial hub. These same people also look at things like job growth, affordability, weather, etc. Baltimore is cool, but Cleveland has a major problem. When both the city AND the metro area are losing people, something's wrong--density, history, and culture notwithstanding. Those things can't save your city when it's sinking deeper and deeper into an abyss. Maybe it needs to look to the soulless suburb with the religious NASCAR fans that are doing lots of things RIGHT to get some inspiration.

And what's wrong with Billy Graham anyway? People cite this like it's some huge blight on the city. He's an upstanding guy who has always practiced what he preached and was never involved in any type of major scandal or anything. People need to get over that; can't call yourself tolerant and open-minded and yet malign others' religious beliefs.
I CAN do whatever I want. Monotheistic religion itself is a blight, or more accurately a cancer. Nevertheless, Billy Graham is a noted anti-semitic homophobe. That's all I can say, since I always end up getting flamed by his misguided fans. And when did I ever call myself tolerant?

I also wish people would update their perceptions of all these cities. Charlotte is hurting, bad.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:32 PM

749 posts, read 1,315,621 times
nah not really considering it's one of the fastest growing in the entire country.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:59 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,966,877 times
Quote:
Once again, the arrogance and hypocrisy is amazing from you types of people. I have know idea where you are from but I would be pretty confident that you are from the north if my life depended on it.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:00 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Your ignorant, misguided notions about monotheistic religion aside...

Quote:
I also wish people would update their perceptions of all these cities. Charlotte is hurting, bad.
Specifically, the banking sector is hurting. I lost my job this past Friday (it was a telecommunications sales/customer service position) and got a call today, out of the blue, about a new one. We're not doing that bad, and we're going to tough it out just fine. At any rate, even at our worst right now, we're still outperforming several other cities. But if you live in Pittsburgh, as your location suggests, I can certainly understand your angst towards Charlotte. But get over it, how about that.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Once again, the arrogance and hypocrisy is amazing from you types of people. I have know idea where you are from but I would be pretty confident that you are from the north if my life depended on it.
Wrong, genius. Richmond, VA born and raised. Until I moved to Atlanta. Where is my supposed hypocrisy? I would like it pointed out, because I don't see it.

Every time on these threads, I state my opinion and get flamed by people who aren't secure in their own. Every time.

Good thing (for you, at least) that your life didn't really depend on it.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Your ignorant, misguided notions about monotheistic religion aside...

When all else fails, call somebody ignorant. There is nothing remotely ignorant about my views on religion, but just for good measure, I was raised Southern Baptist.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:32 PM

For the record, my problems with Charlotte have nothing to do with the fact that I reside in The Economist's Most Livable City in America 2009 (and site of the next G-20) and are entirely based on firsthand experience, and the absolutely insufferable people who come here to defend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.