Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 07:31 PM

51 posts, read 135,573 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm currently 20 years old, born and raised in Belgium.
If everything works out the way I planned it, I'll obtain my master's degree in civil engineering in about two years and a half.

I'm kind of an adventurous guy, so I don't even think about staying here for the rest of my life. Great country though, if you think through everything rationally. But the emotional part of a choice is really important for me.

I've always had some kind of fascination for the States. I got the chance to be in Seattle for one month about two years ago, it was a great experience. Somehow, it confirmed my thoughts about wanting to move there some day.

Now, I just ran into this forum and seems like there's loads of people here from all over the country. So I hope you guys can help me out!
The fact is: I don't have a clue about where I'd like to live in the States. Seattle was amazing, as were the states of Washington and Oregon. But I fully realize that what I've seen comprises about 0.1% of everything there is...

I'm looking for cities, but honestly they can go from 30000 people till +1M... I just hope I'll provide you with some criteria to narrow the choices down.
So, here goes:

What's important to me?
*Nature, basically that's the main reason I want to move. Any mountainbiking or skiing facilities nearby would be appreciated!
*Nightlife, just some nice places to go out.
*I'm a car freak, so states that have regulations against cars are a no go...
*Job opportunities, I like to live close to work.
*Safety, can't ignore that one.
*I don't want a city where I totally depend on my car, so public transportation or bike trails are important too...
*Real estate that's not outrageously expensive. I really like some space.

What's totally irrelevant?
*Climate, though I prefer a warmer summer.

I'll look through the rest once I got some good examples.
There are two places I've thought through (more or less) myself: Seattle (most realty doesn't comply with the 'space' argument and is quite expensive) and Bend, OR (gorgeous setting, nice houses, but kind of far from really big cities (for European standards, that is )).
Well, thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 07:36 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,717 times
You're a car freak? Does that mean you will have a car or you won't have a car?

Old 03-30-2009, 07:39 PM

I didn't know that had an ambiguous meaning?
Will, it is! And more than one would be even better.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:50 PM

LOL, I wasn't sure if maybe in Belgium "car freak" meant "I'm scared of cars". My suggestion to you is first pick a coast - east, west or central. If you loved Seattle then it sounds to me like you'd probably like the west coast more. California (SF and L.A. are totally different from each other) is nice but I would never want to live in that state. Seattle is definitely a cool place to be but it rains a lot. You may want to consider Portland, Oregon - I've never been there before though. AZ is nice, too. You'd love visiting Sedona, AZ - though I'm not sure if you'd want to live there.

As with any big city, you will have good areas and bad areas. Once you decide on a place, this forum is a great place to ask questions about specific cities.

Upstate NY is beautiful. Very outdoorsy as well but the winters can be harsh - as can a lot of the other eastern states. If you have the time and money, you should definitely do a roadtrip to the cities you picked. Maybe others will have better suggestions!!

Old 03-30-2009, 07:55 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
If you want a milder climate then Atlanta may work for you.

Atlanta Travel Guide - Atlanta, Georgia Attractions, Dining, Events, Packages & More

Old 03-30-2009, 07:57 PM

Well I think I'd exclude the desert zones and Midwest. Not sure why, just a feeling...
Let's say the places with a normal climate, not too harsh winters and not too hot summers. Rain doesn't really bother me, I have had plenty of it here.
So, I'll narrow it to: the entire West Coast + the northern part of the East Coast. The South doesn't appeal to me, neither does North/South Carolina. Don't ask me why though, if you have any good reasons why I should consider them please tell me!
But I liked Seattle so much that I think it would become something out there in the Pacific Northwest. Maybe even Vancouver, but then I'm on the wrong forum.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleJ View Post
But I liked Seattle so much
Dude, it sounds like you've got your mind made up. There's no point to persuade you.

P.S. Vancouver is really really nice. Loved it there.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
If you want a milder climate then Atlanta may work for you.

Atlanta Travel Guide - Atlanta, Georgia Attractions, Dining, Events, Packages & More
I have read about it before.
I don't think that's going to fulfill the nature aspect. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm looking for mountains and vast wilderness areas.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Dude, it sounds like you've got your mind made up. There's no point to persuade you.

P.S. Vancouver is really really nice. Loved it there.
Well say you'd come to Belgium and you'd only see one city. Still, that would put you in a better position than me cause it would mean you've seen about half of it since it's so small.
But if you like that, there's no way of telling if there's other places that appeal to you just as much. See what I mean?
All I want to know is (given the fact I liked Seattle so much) if there's any other cities that I will probably like?

Old 03-30-2009, 08:04 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleJ View Post
Well I think I'd exclude the desert zones and Midwest. Not sure why, just a feeling...
Let's say the places with a normal climate, not too harsh winters and not too hot summers. Rain doesn't really bother me, I have had plenty of it here.
So, I'll narrow it to: the entire West Coast + the northern part of the East Coast. The South doesn't appeal to me, neither does North/South Carolina. Don't ask me why though, if you have any good reasons why I should consider them please tell me!
But I liked Seattle so much that I think it would become something out there in the Pacific Northwest. Maybe even Vancouver, but then I'm on the wrong forum.
Pittsburgh may also be an excellent choice for you:

Pittsburgh Hotels, Attractions & Vacation Packages : Pittsburgh PA CVB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.