Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 04:56 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2007 View Post
I am not sure of the population stats on these cities to determine if they are truly classified as "Mid-Sized", but since leavingcali asked, I will take a stab at it (in no particular order):

1) Colorado Springs CO
2) Flagstaff AZ
3) Huntsville AL
4) Grand Rapids MI
5) Stockton CA
6) Riverside CA
7) Fort Myers/Sanibel/Naples FL
8) Boise ID
9) Santa Fe NM
10) Winston-Salem/Greensboro NC

Honorable Mention Mid-Sized "NEXT" Cities: Richmond VA, (Spokane WA/Coeur d'Alene ID/Post Falls ID), (Reno/Sparks/Tahoe NV)

If anyone wishes to provide an alternate view, be my guest. I based this list on a few things I've heard and the rest I gathered based on my perceptions after traveling to some of these areas.
I don't think Stockton belongs on this list unless you mean Stockton after it merges with Sacramento, and they become the newest Twin Cities. But in that case Sacramento will be the lead city... ala Dallas/Ft Worth, Minneapolis/St Paul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 05:55 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagus View Post
We may be seeing a current population shift to the south, but as global warming heats up over the next 50 years, those areas are going to be become too dry (as the southwest water supply dries out), too wet (more hurricanes/floods in the gulf) and way too hot for comfort. That's why in the long run, your real power cities are going to be back in the north (or even, dare I say it, Canada). I'm stayin' north of the ol' Mason-Dixon!
I tend to agree with this somewhat. IMO, cities like Phoenix and Las Vegas aren't sustainable over the long run because of their desert location and the future water resources being in question. Just my thoughts.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:35 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,856 times
Quote:
From 1776 through 1999, the following cities (areas) were -- in my opinion -- the predominant urban areas in the United States of America in terms of commerce, culture, social activities, music, arts, sciences and politics (in no particular order):

1) New York
2) Philadelphia
3) Chicago
4) Los Angeles
5) Detroit
6) Boston
7) Washington D.C.
8) San Francisco
9) Texas (Dallas & Houston)
10) Miami

Although I still feel that each one of these cities will continue to play major roles in the American scene (and always will), I would like to offer my projection regarding what the "NEXT" 10 major, influential urban growth and development areas will be for the next 100 years or more -- the 21st Century:

1) Phoenix
2) Atlanta
3) North Carolina (Charlotte & Raleigh/Durham)
4) Las Vegas
5) Orlando
6) Seattle
7) Austin TX
8) Nashville
9) Denver
10) Anaheim / Orange County CA

Honorable Mention For The "NEXT" 10 Cities: Louisville KY, Albuquerque, Memphis, Kansas City, San Antonio, El Paso, San Jose, Tampa / St. Pete

Notice the shift that I believe will take place (and is currently taking place) as more Amercans choose to live in warmer climates.

Anyone agree or disagree? Want to add your city and explain why? Remember, this list is not based on population. It is based on where I feel the best and brightest people will be moving to over the next century and the cities that may begin to influence American culture the most during that same period of time.

Honestly, doesn't it seem like whenever anyone mentions they are moving to a new city, isn't the new city they mention almost always one of the cities I listed as the "NEXT" 10 or one of my Honorable Mention cities? Truthfully, a lot of Americans are shying away from the historical mega-cities in favor of these newer urban areas.

Am I on target with this list?
I've done rankings of America's metro areas in the past, and I pretty much agree with your "NEXT" list. The only exception, I think, would be Anaheim/OC. The cost of living and of doing businness is very, very high. Still, a good list overall!

Old 03-30-2007, 07:02 PM

53 posts, read 307,903 times
Not sure why KC made the list. It's a pleasant "small" big city. Decent economy and a regional economic engine but I don't see a growth surge. Like most cities there's some downtown condo growth but that rarely makes up for population loss in traditional neighborhoods.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:59 PM

7 posts, read 18,776 times
Default A few suggestions

I can definitely see Denver as a major place, as well as Atlanta and Seattle. But I know a ton of people moving to Sacramento, and there is a really cool downtown area with restaraunts and beautiful old buildings. I totally agree that Las Vegas and Memphis should be off the list. Another city I might recommend is Minneapolis? Maybe?
And maybe consider Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Chesapeake-that whole area.
Its pretty nice!

Old 03-31-2007, 04:43 PM

653 posts, read 3,408,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
We'll see what happens to Vegas when the economy takes a downturn and pleasure/gambling trips are out of the question for many. Vegas is a gambling town, a tourist town. Take that away and its just another crappy southwest dustbowl.
YES Vegas is a gambling/tourist city. And that industry will ALWAYS be a part of Vegas. I doubt if it'll dry up. With 40 million people visiting there each year and nearly 7 billion people on the planet, the future of gamming and tourism in Vegas is bright. In addtion, more light industry is starting up there, Film pr oduction is ramping up, and it is probably the convention capital of the U.S. Geez, just the mass exodus of people from So. California alone, is enough to keep that place going strong. I would not be suprised to see Las Vegas as the 6th or 7th larget city in the United States in 10 - 15 years.

Old 03-31-2007, 07:46 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Huh? oh yeah, I was assuming that Scranton would be annexed by Oil City.
Technically, I think Scranton is now Oil City's newest "bedroom community." People are moving to Scranton for our low cost-of-living and commuting 3.5 hours west via I-80 to work each way to the financial services mecca that is Oil City. Some, however, are taking up residence in the trendy new loft apartments in Oil City's "Upper North Side." Then there's also Chinatown, Little Norway, and New Germany with their wide range of art galleries, ethnic cuisine, and independent theaters. Oil City is slowly becoming synonymous with "hip" and "trendy", and I'm proud that Scranton is now officially its newest suburb, which is soon-to-be connected to Venango County via monorail!

Old 04-01-2007, 11:26 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Technically, I think Scranton is now Oil City's newest "bedroom community." People are moving to Scranton for our low cost-of-living and commuting 3.5 hours west via I-80 to work each way to the financial services mecca that is Oil City. Some, however, are taking up residence in the trendy new loft apartments in Oil City's "Upper North Side." Then there's also Chinatown, Little Norway, and New Germany with their wide range of art galleries, ethnic cuisine, and independent theaters. Oil City is slowly becoming synonymous with "hip" and "trendy", and I'm proud that Scranton is now officially its newest suburb, which is soon-to-be connected to Venango County via monorail!
And don't forget Scranton has it's own TV hit "The Office"
Now what other city has that to hang it's hat on!

Old 04-01-2007, 12:51 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Quote:
9) Santa Fe NM
I would replace Santa Fe New Mexico with Las Cruces New Mexico as it is growing about a 2 to 1 ratio over Santa Fe and also the 200 million dollar Space Port is being built there. Also Forbes.com rated it #2 in the nation on its list of ''Best small places for Business''.....

Old 04-01-2007, 01:26 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
YES Vegas is a gambling/tourist city. And that industry will ALWAYS be a part of Vegas. I doubt if it'll dry up. With 40 million people visiting there each year and nearly 7 billion people on the planet, the future of gamming and tourism in Vegas is bright. In addtion, more light industry is starting up there, Film pr oduction is ramping up, and it is probably the convention capital of the U.S. Geez, just the mass exodus of people from So. California alone, is enough to keep that place going strong. I would not be suprised to see Las Vegas as the 6th or 7th larget city in the United States in 10 - 15 years.
I definitely agree that LV is riding the big wave right now, but like I said, if the economy crashes and people just dont have the extra income to gamble or take pleasure trips, LV is going down. Mark my words. W/o the gaming industry, LV is no better than, say, Santa Fe, NM... hardly a power player.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.