Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 04:32 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by umograd83 View Post
The only thing wrong with being a Yankee is wearing pinstripes. (Go Sox!)
You mean Red Sox. The "Sox" are the White Sox in Chicago, er, at least their hats say so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I can't believe this thread is still going, either. I also can't believe that after all this random discussion, that you still think this is about the Civil War.

When southerners talk about "Yankees", we aren't talking about the Civil War. We use that word in a modern context to refer to someone who wasn't born a southerner.

Now, there are an awful lot of southerners who are still interested in the Civil War, historically speaking. I can see how this seems strange to northerners, since New York and Chicago were never burned to the ground.
The post right above mine mentions the Civil War, so I also mentioned it. I didnt feel like reading the entire thread, so excuse me.

I love the Civil War and used to research it like crazy as a teenager, so Im well aware of Sherman's march and what he did. But cmon, that was over 140 years ago! Chicago burned to the ground and rose again, twice as powerful, we dont complain about the O' Leary's all the time and dwell in the past. History is history, it cant be changed. Let it go, ya know?

Old 06-06-2007, 01:58 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I love the Civil War and used to research it like crazy as a teenager, so Im well aware of Sherman's march and what he did. But cmon, that was over 140 years ago! Chicago burned to the ground and rose again, twice as powerful, we dont complain about the O' Leary's all the time and dwell in the past. History is history, it cant be changed. Let it go, ya know?
I just don't see how this is relevant.

The OP asks "What is wrong with being a Yankee?" I would've phrased it more like, "How are Yankees different?" - I find it amusing than a moderator would start a flamewar, but that's another story.

What I'm saying is, the Civil War isn't what the topic is about. When you say:
Quote:
we dont complain about the O' Leary's all the time and dwell in the past. History is history, it cant be changed. Let it go, ya know?
Quote:
South: you lost the war. Get over it. We did. No reason to argue about it.
Then it leads me to believe that you think the term "Yankee" is a reference to the Civil War. In reality, the average southerner's problem with the stereotypical "Yankee" is a difference of politics, philosophy, religion, culture, etc., and is only loosely related to the war of northern aggression.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:22 PM

I know Yankee is not a term that was spawned from the Civil War.

The way I see it, and the way you described it is, southerners like to stereotype us northerners. Thats ok, I do the same for rednecked, toothless hillbillies.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:58 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
I know Yankee is not a term that was spawned from the Civil War.

The way I see it, and the way you described it is, southerners like to stereotype us northerners. Thats ok, I do the same for rednecked, toothless hillbillies.
Try southern Michigan sometime, no where close to the south......yet , talk about toothless hillbillies,.........we got em in spades !
Have lived both in south and north, and , I would say , that part is worse here in Mi. Can't get em to mow their yard, they throw trash out the window, and have more jacked up cars and refrigerators in the front yard than I ever seen in NC............

Old 06-08-2007, 12:28 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,287 times
Quote:
That's fine, I agree that both sides stereotype each other. Not just north/south, but Hollywood as well. The difference also has a lot to do with urban compared to rural. There are plenty of rednecks in Michigan - and there are plenty of yuppies in Atlanta.

I realize that southern people are defensive and neurotic about 'being southern', and we don't explain it well on this message board. However, I really only disagree with the folks that say there's no difference.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:39 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,395,129 times
Nothing I can see being wrong with a Yankee except that Southerners hate you for it It all goes back to the Civil War...children, please, it was a crime to be a Yankee and Southerner almost 200 years ago...now shake hands and make peace, yes that's it go on you can do it, Robert E. Lee and General Grant did, do as they did

Last edited by ajf131; 06-08-2007 at 06:50 PM..

Old 06-08-2007, 06:43 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,395,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzer21 View Post
I'm originally from Illinois (30 mins south of Chicago) and I had no idea that I was considered a Yankee by people in the South until I moved to Tennessee and was called one. The first time that I was called one was by lady that I work with and I corrected (confused) her by saying, "No, I'm from the Midwest." To me, Yankees are from the Northeast. I'm just a midwest boy. I didn't even know the term "Yankee" was still being used in modern society without being in reference to the sports team.
I agree. Yankees are northeasterners, like for example New Yorkers and Bostonians. The terms Yankee and Midwest should never be used in the same sentence IMO...they mean two completely different things, well, to people from the regions anyway. I've been called a Yankee by people from Arkansas and texas many a time, and constantly had to remind them that there is a difference between being a Midwesterner and a Yankee. Yankees are from Pennsylvania, New York, and the New England region. We don't wear top hats, suits with black bowties and carry canes for starters and don't talk with an accent Yankees look like people in show business, well if you believe the stereotype hehehe Might as well be renamed Yankee business

Old 06-08-2007, 07:16 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
We don't wear top hats, suits with black bowties and carry canes for starters and don't talk with an accent Yankees look like people in show business, well if you believe the stereotype hehehe Might as well be renamed Yankee business
Whaaaat?!?!?!

Old 06-08-2007, 07:19 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Default Yankee go home !

The South survived a very nasty , bloody , conflict, only to be humiliated by " loosing" the war between the states. contrary to what a lot of people think , it was not about slavery .
Having beat , and burned some great southern cities , and plantations , the North added insult to anger , by sending in the carpetbaggers. The story is one of despair, fear , stubbornnesses, and survival. The South was never able to rise again, it was to be mostly made up of the poor, backward, low class peoples. The middle class had a very hard time climbing the ladder, it was Ford country, and , the Caddy was but a dream to most southerns .
Now , we wonder today why they call us Yankees ?.....and with disgust , a little, and with a non trusting eye , a lot . It ain't never gona chance , until all them folks born and bred in the south, under a live oak tree, are gone and buried...............then , only then , when every rebel flag waver is gone , and forgotten will , the conflict end...................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.