Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 11:05 PM

267 posts, read 1,118,572 times

Advertisements

Most of us who live here also have no idea what most of the states and cities are like.

I have lived in FL, OK, OR, IN, VA & LA. I'm not sure that I can tell you what those states are like. I can just tell you a little bit about my experience in each of them, which may or may not be at all helpful to you.

I would advise you to look for jobs and see what you find. Then investigate the cities and states where the jobs are. Once you take a job, yo don't have to stay there forever if you don't like it, but you will have a better basis for deciding what you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 4,308 times
hi, welcome to the states. I visited Moab Utah and called my three boys and told them they neededto come here. If I could move anywhere, it woould be close to the area. My sons are huge outdoor enthusiast, one of them hasbeen to moab twice and a friend of theirs has moved to salt lake, he loves the outdoors and the nightlife and is VERY happy there. Best of luck on your search

Old 04-13-2009, 02:26 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,601,478 times
One thing I learned when I was 18, 19.. you don't have to move far away to have a drastic change. Move from a small town to a mid-size city or big city nearby, and that oughta be a major adjustment. I think moving from British Columbia to New Orleans, for example, would be a pretty major culture shock.

That's not to say that you shouldn't move far away, though.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:09 PM

25,571 posts, read 21,753,969 times
Default As Someone Who Has Lived/Traveled

As someone who has been moving and traveling for over 30 years now from my home of Michigan, don't be fooled by the photos or movies on how a place is or looks as they are supposed to be attracting you. I often see those brochures from the individual states and although I saw most of the states I'm thinking "No way." You will want to find a job before coming here since unemployment is climbing everyday. I don't know how the health insurance from your country will work here if at all but medical costs here are sky high and emergency room visit could put you in debt for a very long time. Get a job with benefits and then make the move. If there were a Utopia, we would be there but everywhere has its good points and its bad points and you won't be told the bad points. Also, you must visit before making a decision. And never, ever pay attention to what the internet says the weather will be in a certain area because that just does not give you the full picture. There is no place like home and I wish I were there!

Old 04-15-2009, 03:03 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,489,188 times
Basically that is what many found in the coastal areas of california in the 50's and early 60's. But then the maddening crowds came in and ruin much of it. There are still some nice areas but like most such spots it takes real dollars to live a enjoyable lifestyle there now.Some people move and adapt well and other are just homeboys and homegirls from what I have seen. Never bad to see which you are when young but remember to give it some time to adjust. Its different that being on vacation and different form even traveling on business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.