Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 04:59 PM

486 posts, read 1,030,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Well it's probably just because a vast majority of the illegal immigrants in our country are hispanic. It's so much easier for a Mexican to walk across the border en-mass than for people from the rest of the world to come over on planes or boats. Plus there are pretty large economic reasons that are driving people from latin america here for work, and there are also well established networks.

Most estimates all agree that around 80% of illegal immigrants are hispanic/latin american. I don't think everyone is hating. I mean people can't deny that illegal immigrants do make things a HELL of a lot cheaper for the rest of the population - especially food products. The loss of taxes paid by them, medical and enforcement money spent is far outweighed by the injection of cheap labor.
I understand ekarl17's point. Just because a person looks like they may be from Mexico, it doesn't mean they're illegal. The title of the thread is places with the fewest undocumented immigrants. Even if they are Mexican (or from some other place south of the Rio Grande), there are many who have legal documentation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 08:09 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,502,674 times
Also is this question about absolute numbers or percentage of population? Also isn't the total number of illegal immigrants lower now as well since many just went home due to both enforcment and immigration? I remember last time I heard a number is that the total number has dropped at least 20% from the peak around 2007 or so, but that number I heard was over a year ago since if I'm not mistaken a large number of illegal immigrants only are here temporarily for a period of around 3 years.

I do remember from where I am from that the St. Louis area has a rather small percentage, partly due to smaller percentages of legal immigrants from the same ethnic groups than most metro areas so they don't blend in as much.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:44 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,642,719 times
Texas and California, definitely.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:59 PM

15,952 posts, read 20,911,244 times
When did we start hatin' on Canadians?
Always the last to know, nobody ever tells me nothin'!

Old 03-22-2010, 10:26 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,057,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
I understand ekarl17's point. Just because a person looks like they may be from Mexico, it doesn't mean they're illegal. The title of the thread is places with the fewest undocumented immigrants. Even if they are Mexican (or from some other place south of the Rio Grande), there are many who have legal documentation.
Well no, of course not, that wasn't my point. I have a dozen good hispanic friends, and they're all perfectly legal and were born in this country. I was just saying that of the illegal population, a large majority of them (for pretty clear reasons) tend to be hispanic in origin.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:23 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,145,451 times
Quote:
Well no, of course not, that wasn't my point. I have a dozen good hispanic friends, and they're all perfectly legal and were born in this country. I was just saying that of the illegal population, a large majority of them (for pretty clear reasons) tend to be hispanic in origin.
Agreed

If Mexico was way in the middle east or Asia, then there wouldn't be that many illegal Mexicans. Mexico is very close to the US and all they have to do is cross the fence. Europeans, Africans, Asians, amd Middle Easterns have a much harder time trying to get here illegally since their country of origin is so far away from the US. There are some illegal Europeans, Africans, Asians, and Middle easterns in this country too, but they are less of them and more from Mexicans and Central Americans.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:57 PM

363 posts, read 1,039,290 times
Fewest undocumented? New Mexico - it's a travel thru state to somewhere else. Besides most native born New Mexican's already have their families here.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:37 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,057,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsman48 View Post
Fewest undocumented? New Mexico - it's a travel thru state to somewhere else. Besides most native born New Mexican's already have their families here.
Well I think there are 15 or so other states that have less than New Mexico just based on population and where they are geographically - but I agree that in most ranking New Mexico has far less illegals than other border states.

I think this is probably due to the lack of very large cities, the lack of agriculture, and the lack of low paying/unskilled jobs where illegals normally start out like housework, yard work, hotels, food processing, etc.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:34 PM

363 posts, read 1,039,290 times
Quote:
but I agree that in most ranking New Mexico has far less illegals than other border states.

I think this is probably due to the lack of very large cities, the lack of agriculture, and the lack of low paying/unskilled jobs where illegals normally start out like housework, yard work, hotels, food processing, etc.
That's not the reason - Albuquerque is one of the largest cities in the SW, but it doesn't have the high number as do Salt Lake, Phoenix, Denver or even Dallas. The state has I25 running straight up to Colorado, Wyoming & Montana - which is where many of them end up. Yes, they follow the AG route, but also, b/c they know they won't be arrested. Many of our largest companies hire them and get away with it - because they are TOO BIG to fail.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:37 PM

18,929 posts, read 43,234,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekarl17 View Post
1 question PLEASE...how do you know who is illegal and not? Come on guys don't do racial/ethnic profiling. Probably, Cleveland and Pittsburgh + other metioned have undocumented illegal immigrants that tend to look more European but you never know. I know most of these comments are cater towards the Hispanic population. Please, Mexico is our closer friendly neighbor, don't hate, as we already do it to Canadians.
If you can't see that the vast majority of illegals in this country are hispanic/latino you are blind or very naive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.