Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 09:39 PM

7 posts, read 99,200 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, from Canada here and planning on moving due to the super chilly winters.

I want to move somewhere where season changes aren't so drastic all the time. I get depressed in the winters, no matter how well things are going in my life. Yet when summer rolls around I finally feel like I'm living again. I can't picture the summers being any better here though, as its not too hot or humid (BC, nicest weather of canada usually, but still too cold for me!)

The weather doesn't have to be super nice year round or anything, I'm pretty much just hoping for winters where there is little to no snow. I'm fine with rain as long as it's not so often that it gets annoying, its the snow that drives me crazy.

Just comfortable (ex. mild) weather year round is all I'm asking.

Once I figure out the weather issue I can finally start narrowing things down social change-wise/love for the city. (Plan on moving to a city or in a town very close/easy access to a major city)

The only thing I have to say though is that for some reason California doesn't appeal to much to me, however it's probably just TV that's causing this preconceived notion (ex. spoiled beverly hills kids/LA people). I have no idea what it's really like though, so I could be convinced if people there are actually nice/more down to earth than I'm left with the idea of.

Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 10:54 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,023 times
Mild weather year round would be Coastal California. BTW, California is a huge state, more than just LA. Besides LA isn't like what they show on TV.

For mild 4 seasons type weather look to the south eastern states.

Hawaii, as you know, is constant tropical weather. Warm and humid.

Florida is humid and warm/hot also.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:03 PM

42 posts, read 262,613 times
You will most probably be looking at the northwest corner of USA. The weather there is very mild all year round. Winters are not that cold and summers are not that Hot.

Im basically the same. My mood really does change with the weather. i would go there but its too cloudy for my liking. occasionally when the sun comes out, it is the most beautiful corner of the earth IMO. look at places around Seattle. Or Vancouver if you'd rather stay in Canada.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:38 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,424,908 times
California and Oregon.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:42 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,249,400 times
Phoenix, AZ.

There's about 3 to 4 months out of the year that's pretty dang hot. If you can handle that, then the rest of the year is pretty much perfect.

We've got "Monsoon Season" in the fall but I've been through 2 of these and haven't once experienced anything monsoon-like.

I couldn't remember the last time we had heavy rain!

Old 04-07-2009, 12:18 AM

7 posts, read 99,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by levendis View Post
You will most probably be looking at the northwest corner of USA. The weather there is very mild all year round. Winters are not that cold and summers are not that Hot.

Im basically the same. My mood really does change with the weather. i would go there but its too cloudy for my liking. occasionally when the sun comes out, it is the most beautiful corner of the earth IMO. look at places around Seattle. Or Vancouver if you'd rather stay in Canada.
That's the sad part, I live right near Vancouver (Victoria, across the water on vancouver island) and the winters aren't even as bad as the rest of Canada at all (I'm pretty sure we're damn envied by the prairies etc lol). When I still lived in Victoria (just live 30min outside it now) it wasn't TOO bad as the snow sort of melts in the city, but any towns outside it feels lonely and snowed in.
I love Victoria in its own ways (safe feeling, not too big, not too small), but I've got to get out of here as I've spent my entire life here and only left the island twice!

Before starting this thread the cities/states I had in mind were:

-portland, oregon
-SLC, utah (I guess they get alot of snow though from videos I've seen)
-seattle, wa (probably not much better than vancouver etc. though)
-chicago, il

*I'm considering california now though, and yes I see it's a big state, no idea where to begin considering as I'm sure it's very diverse region to region. I'm assuming some parts are pretty expensive to live while others are for more average people.

I know nothing of the more northwestern states, but levendis mentioned it's pretty mild year round which is what I'm goin for. Only place that sort of intrigues me though is Illinois as I hear Iowa is boring as hell, while virginia, indiana etc. doesn't seem to jump out to me.

Super warm places like Florida, hawaii, texas etc. don't appeal to me either.

Out of the places I mentioned (or didn't in terms of the northwest), what do you think matches the whole weather thing the most? Portland/Seattle sounds a bit too much like BC as well (not sure if it snows often though). I guess Utah also snows which probably only leaves Chicago and California?

Basically it'd be very easy for me to move to all the places I mentioned except chicago as its far west of me. But if Chicago is worth it I'd think about it.

One last request is that there is a way to get back to nature for a weekend trip or whatever. Never lived in a big big city so no idea what it'd be like year round

Thanks guys (hopefully I'm not coming off too picky)

Old 04-07-2009, 12:32 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,023 times
Chicago is far from mild. I'd take it off your last, as well as Portland and Seattle since they have similar weather to Vancover. CA is expensive, the Central Valley of California is cheaper but the weather is HOT in the summer. Utah is snowy and cold as well. I'd really consider the South East, like North Carolina maybe. Also New Mexico is nice too. Phoenix is HOT as hell in the summer, a good 5 months of temps with 90 and above... but it is dry heat.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:49 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,605 times
California is very diverse and almost a country of it's own. It has more people than Canada!

You really think Vancouver winters are bad though? stay the hell away from Chicago....or most of the country for that matter (don't mean to be mean- Vancouver is cooler than most cities anyways. Just also warmer than most cities). Basically you can go to WA or OR but they won't be much different from BC

I'd look at California another time if you're willing cuz that would be perfect for you.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:49 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,004 times
Chicago winters are bitter and we can get dumped on with snow. I would looks SE USA, Charlotte area. We get snow here, but nothing like you are thinking. Youll get 8 months of awesome weather here.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:07 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,467 times
Anywhere along the immediate west coast from Alaska to Southern California.

The person who suggested Phoenix is wrong. Our average high temperature in January is 67 degrees and our average high in July is 106. That's a difference of almost 40 degrees between winter and summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.