Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 01:07 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of smaller cities with a cosmopolitan flavor? By smaller cities, I mean those under 100,000 people and that stand alone(not suburbs of a bigger city). I know that many college towns would fit, but are there any other cities that would as well? In NY State, the only cities that might are Utica and maybe Binghamton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 01:32 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Does anyone know of smaller cities with a cosmopolitan flavor? By smaller cities, I mean those under 100,000 people and that stand alone(not suburbs of a bigger city). I know that many college towns would fit, but are there any other cities that would as well? In NY State, the only cities that might are Utica and maybe Binghamton.
My hometown of Waco.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
My hometown of Waco.
I thought Waco had over 100,000 people? In Texas, I would think that maybe a city like maybe Galveston or Odessa would fit the bill. I guess I could extend the requirements to cities close to a bigger city too. Some "suburban cities" fit the bill of stand alone cities in terms of infrastructure and environment too.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I thought Waco had over 100,000 people? In Texas, I would think that maybe a city like maybe Galveston or Odessa would fit the bill. I guess I could extend the requirements to cities close to a bigger city too. Some "suburban cities" fit the bill of stand alone cities in terms of infrastructure and environment too.
I was just talking and yes its over 100k.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:07 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,277,851 times
No such thing as a "cosmopolitan flavor". At least according to our self proclaimed "cosmopologist" residents on duty.

Cue up their smarmy response...

Old 12-24-2009, 03:15 PM

What I mean is in terms of culture("diversity", arts, festivals, etc...)

Old 12-24-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
What I mean is in terms of culture("diversity", arts, festivals, etc...)
Hmm....I noticed you stated Galveston, but that's part of the Houston metro area. I would say Charlottesville,VA is pretty cosmopolitan for a city its size. For a city its size; the residents are pretty progressive and open-minded. Their accents also remind me of DC.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Hmm....I noticed you stated Galveston, but that's part of the Houston metro area. I would say Charlottesville,VA is pretty cosmopolitan for a city its size. For a city its size; the residents are pretty progressive and open-minded. Their accents also remind me of DC.
That's why I opened it up a bit. I think there are many smaller cities near bigger cities that would fit the criteria. I know there are some near NYC that would probably make sense.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:14 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
very interesting question.

when you eliminate college towns, what exactly do you have left? It's like these, by their nature, break the mold: they attract intellectuals, draw a diverse staff, add a research component with related high quality businesses in need of a highly educated work force, are famous for keeping a number of their grads after graduation, and build an infrastructure in a smaller community like you describe (100,000, away from metro area, stand alone).

In short, at a time when the job market and the global economy is hitched to our largest cities and metro areas, our college towns hold out an exception to the rule.

And there aren't many other exceptions. Resort towns located in beautiful recreational and/or scenery related settings are special places that may have 100,000 people, but they lack the intellectual and cosmopolitan aspects of college towns.

State capitals work somewhat, but really are limited...unless they are that rare combination of state capitol/flagship public university

Thus if my thinking is right (and I'm not saying it is), than why not a college town? Yes, there may be negatives due to the extensive connection between university and town, but I think they are far outweighed by the positives.

Which ones fit the population range you have in mind and are truly special places? I'd say:

Charlottesville
Lawrence, KS
Iowa City
Bloomington, IN
Ann Arbor (satellite city of metro Detroit; definitely place of its own)
Boulder (ditto...to Denver)
Chapel Hill (although Research Triangle is somewhat of its own metro)
Athens, GA
Eugene, OR

If you don't mind stepping up another 200,000 and admittedly to a higher level of urbanity, you can't beat Madison.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:30 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times
Santa Barbara, CA

University of California Santa Barbara (ranked in top 50 undergrad universities in USA. Could you imagine an ocean front spot for college?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.