Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 08:01 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times

Advertisements

He says he wants to be near either lakes or the ocean. I know someone that lived right near Lake Allatoona and says the lake was big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 08:04 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
One lake doesn't compare to living on an island and having tons of different diverse beaches to choose from. Depends what he wants though.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:14 AM

18 posts, read 33,008 times
About Atlanta - yeah I appreciate it's a very different climate, but I think ideally I would like to be based on the Eastern coast due to work committments. Not sying I'm ruling Atlanta out, but the climate isn't really going to be the main thing. Also in relation to sea swimming, I swim in the sea in Ireland year round so wouldnt matter too much to be what the water temperature dropped to within reason. Like at the moment the sea in NY is about the same give or take as Ireland - 40-50F.

Again though, I appreciate the input and I'm definitely giong to be looking into Atlanta too!

Old 04-11-2009, 08:37 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Beach is 4 hours away though. He said he wants to be near water. The lakes aren't anything big or special around there.
What are you talking about? There are some very nice, large lakes around Atlanta including Lake Lanier which hosted several Olympic events back in 1996. In addition, there's canoeing, rowing and rafting available on the Chattahoochee, a national recreation area in the middle of Atlanta.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:46 AM

18 posts, read 33,008 times
looks great - again I think it might boil down to east coast though with work constraints, but will see how it pans out! defo one to consider!

Old 04-11-2009, 08:59 AM

Um, I don't think a few lakes can compare to about 82 miles of beaches.

Hamptons:

North shore beaches:

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/8366/newyorkstatelongislandn.jpg (broken link)

And you can't forget about the boardwalks, including Coney Island:

A different boardwalk, I think Long Beach.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:44 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Beach is 4 hours away though. He said he wants to be near water. The lakes aren't anything big or special around there.
[quote=Rachael84;8293475]Um, I don't think a few lakes can compare to about 82 miles of beaches.QUOTE]

I didn't say they were comparable to miles of beaches. I was merely responding to your above post saying that there lakes around Atlanta aren't anything big or special. They ARE big, and they are special to a lot of people.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:48 PM

Well if he/she likes the water, it's probably preferable to live on the coast of the country.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:55 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times
He says he wants lakes or sea. If he wouldn't settle for lakes, he would have said.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:33 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcom2005 View Post
Hi all - my girlfriend and I are going to be moving to America from Ireland in about 12 months time. The company I work for are looking to open an office in the US and I'm going for 12 months initially to try and help develop a market for us over there in advance of this. So I'll be working for them over there, and my girlfriend works from home running an internet business. So basically we are not tied into any specific area as in have to be based near an office etc.

However, like with most things there are a few things we do have to adhere to!

1) Location - We must be on the Eastern side of America. We can go as far inland as Chicago, but to do the work I'm going to be doing I need to be based on the East Coast this is where the main companies I will be trying to sell to are. I dont need to be an hour from them all, but based in this general area within a drive or a short internal flight to them would be best

2) Airports - We have to be close enough (within a 60-90 min drive) to one of the following airports to going back home, work / friends coming over etc
- New York (JFK / Newark)
- Chicago
- Boston
- Atlanta

3) Cost of living - We are looking for somewhere not too expensive to live - we should be able to rent a nice 2 bed furnished apt in a decent area for < $1500 per month. Also it should have a low enough cost of living in general, so we can afford to have a decent quality of life.

4) Climate - first off, we have to have a nice summer. Doesn't need to be 100F all the time! but just good weather that you can bet on for a few months a year. Also, if the winters weren't too harsh that would be nice too. Sometimes in harsh winters, people nearly go into hibernation! and thats not for us!

5) WATER! Now this is the key for me, there must be some sort of open water nearby - lakes or sea. I'm serious about my sea / open water swimming and love spending time out swimming, in boats etc. So somewhere near the water (doesnt have to be walkingn distance, but not a huge trek!) would be great

6) Irish Community - having a decent sized irish community nearby would be bonus. Again we don't plan to just talk to other Irish people but the internet site my girlfriend runs is something which is tailored specifically to that market, so if we could be near a community which might be more open to that sort of thing for advertising etc that would be a bonus!

7) Other Stuff - The sort of place we're looking for - we are looking for somewhere that is nice, safe, has things to do (beach / lake / mountains etc) and has friendly people. When we get to America we will know no-one. Also as we are both in essence self employed we wont have work friends, so need a way to meet other people. We are both active and play sports (swim, soccer etc) so think we will meet people that way.

We're sort of thinking at the moment (no reason, just from what we've read so far and this could all change!!!) maybe Boston , Chicago (LAke View Maybe?) or New York (Long Island maybe?). Again these are only ideas!

If you were us and could pick and state / city / area that fits the bill where would you go?

Cheers!
Syracuse, NY...Seriously! We have a strong Irish American community here and many live on Tipperary Hill in the city's Far West neighborhood. Actually, the current Mayor's last name is Driscoll and the County Executive's last name is Mahoney. We have a pretty big St. Patty's Day parade too. It's an area with a strong Catholic community as well.

We are within an hour or so from the adirondacks and many other beautiful state parks and lakes.

It is very affordable and generally safe too.

There are very cheap flights to the NYC airports from Syracuse's Hancock Internationa Airport too. It only takes no more than an hour to get there by plane.

Here's some information about the area for you and the spouse to take in:City of Syracuse

Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

Syracuse Hancock International Airport

Syracuse University

craigslist: syracuse classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Onondaga County Parks, Home Page

Greater Syracuse Chamber of Commerce: Chamber Information

Roman Catholic Diocese of Syracuse, NY - Welcome

Le Moyne. Spirit. Inquiry. Leadership. Jesuit

Welcome to Onondaga County, New York

New York State Parks :: Green Lakes State Park

New York State Parks :: Verona Beach State Park

New York State Parks :: Fair Haven Beach State Park

New York State Parks :: Clark Reservation State Park

New York State Parks :: Selkirk Shores State Park

New York State Parks :: Chittenango Falls State Park

New York State Parks :: Maps

http://www.sylvanbeach.org/

Syracuse St. Patrick's Parade

http://www.apartmentfinder.com/resul...&CSearchType=0

Tipperary Hill information:Tipperary Hill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tipperary Hill in Syracuse NY pictures from holidays photos on webshots

Tipperary Hill Neighborhood Association

Tipperary Homes for Sale & Real Estate | CNYREALTOR.COM

Coleman's Authentic Irish Pub Syracuse, NY

Can't forget spots like the Blarney Stone Tavern and Rosie O'Grady's, both of which are also in the Tipp Hill neighborhood. St. Patrick's Parish is a heavily Irish-American Catholic parish too. There's much, much more to the area and if you have any questions, just holler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.