Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2020, 11:18 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Have you seen what most of these government employees dress and look like? DC isn't known for the vast wealth a few hold. DC is wealthy because it has a very large middle class. DC has it's flashy populace but it's far from being one of the most materialistic.
Also tend to drive very ordinary cars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 02:14 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,051,613 times
DC is probably one of the least "image-conscious" areas in the way that we normally think about it. For such a wealthy population, people there aren't flashy or "look-at-me" in the least. The posters that have made that case are 100% correct in my view.

The four most image conscious metros in the country are NYC, LA, Miami, and DFW imo.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:18 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
DC is probably one of the least "image-conscious" areas in the way that we normally think about it. For such a wealthy population, people there aren't flashy or "look-at-me" in the least. The posters that have made that case are 100% correct in my view.

The four most image conscious metros in the country are NYC, LA, Miami, and DFW imo.
Agree with just about every part of this post.

Old 03-23-2020, 03:25 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
Quote:

I'd add Atlanta.... look at the reality shows based there. It's all about flaunting wealth and/or the "attitude/appearance" thereof.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:00 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
I thought this article would add a little humor at a time we can all use some.

https://www.miamiherald.com/miami-co...241332261.html

Old 03-24-2020, 09:06 AM

2,228 posts, read 1,401,312 times
Quote:

In terms of wealth, yes, but in terms of power or "importance", not at all. DC is pretty much equal to LA in that respect. My experience is that a conversation over 5 minutes long in DC ends up being a name-dropping networking snooze fest.

Old 03-24-2020, 12:52 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,051,613 times
Quote:
I'd add Atlanta.... look at the reality shows based there. It's all about flaunting wealth and/or the "attitude/appearance" thereof.
I forgot about Atlanta, but totally agree - it rounds out the top 5 nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
In terms of wealth, yes, but in terms of power or "importance", not at all. DC is pretty much equal to LA in that respect. My experience is that a conversation over 5 minutes long in DC ends up being a name-dropping networking snooze fest.
Yep, I lived there for 8 years and this was one of the most irritating parts of the DC experience. With that said, in terms of exterior image, most people in that area are still pretty low-key overall (minus the Capitol Hill and K Street types).

Old 03-24-2020, 01:04 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
True but that's not the same thing as being image conscious in a physical sense wherein the point is to convey status visually. That requires zero personal interaction. What occurs in DC is something of an exaggerated version of what occurs in more provincial cities where someone might be asked what high school they attended.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:52 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Washington DC
New York
LA

DC is more about power, wealth, and status than physical appearance but people are obsessed about these things though.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:04 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times
Quote:
Have you seen what most of these government employees dress and look like? DC isn't known for the vast wealth a few hold. DC is wealthy because it has a very large middle class. DC has it's flashy populace but it's far from being one of the most materialistic.
Admittedly, I simply looked at the median incomes for the DC suburbs, saw they were even higher than Silicon Valley, and simply assumed that the DC area must all be about that gold rush, get rich quick, Maserati-driving, become a billionaire by age 30 mentality that pervades Silicon Valley. Should have known government workers are worlds apart from your tech startup worker.

I think you could be right. Sounds like DC is my kind of town, then. People aren't into cars; they're into economics and policy. That's right up my alley.

As a visitor I found the people in DC more approachable than people in San Francisco or even NYC--two cities I've also only visited. Of course DC is literally built on and for the universally dreaded slow, incompetent government bureaucracy but there are still interesting people.

People say that in DC, everyone's identity is their career. But that's also just men everywhere. Men define themselves by their career, be it in NYC, Boston, Chicago, Miami, Atlanta, Dallas, Los Angeles, ...just everywhere. I think the biggest difference is WOMEN in DC also being career-oriented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.