Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 08:28 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,958,881 times

Advertisements

Any sources to prove your case? I dont see how that is..? I live in Suburbs well in Albuquerque and it is the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 08:43 PM

4,552 posts, read 14,979,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Any sources to prove your case? I dont see how that is..? I live in Suburbs well in Albuquerque and it is the other way around.

actually its the suburbs of ABQ that give ABQ its high metro crime rate like Bernalillo,Belen,Los Lunas,Meadow Lake, and the South Valley, there are a couple good ones though.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:45 PM

362 posts, read 772,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Remember the good old days when the suburbs were a place you would move to to escape bad schools, crime, grime and urban density? Well those days are gone.

It seems like the suburbs have more urban density, less trees, more crime, poorer schools and more ethnic diversity than the inner cities.

Is there any old fashioned suburbs any more and where are they?
there's still institutional racism so you can't really say that the subs are getting raped over unless it's your neighborhood that's being abandoned by white people. don't get mad becuase you don't want to move out.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:56 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,856,863 times
Quote:

miami gardens, miami fl

homestead,fl,

florida city,fl

all suburbs of miami.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:56 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,772,690 times
Quote:
Again you should note, that just because the suburbs of Albuquerque are still safe or relatively safe and have less crime problems, this is not the case everywhere.

Gwinnett County is a suburban area Northeast of Atlanta. Over 750,000 people in that County alone. At one time (when I moved here in the mid-1980s), the suburb of "Norcross" was a highly desirable area to buy a home in. This is that same area today: Mexican drug cartels thrive in suburban Atlanta - CNN.com

Likewise, "Stone Mountain" which also in the mid-80s was a highly sought after place to live, is now experiencing a large crime and gang problem. Story: Local Gang Descriptions - Atlanta News Story - WGCL Atlanta

So while there are still plenty of cities and town in America where the inner city is the place where the "bad zones" are and the suburbs are still nice safe Utopias, there are others that have experienced a flip-flop, where some of the inner city areas are safer than some of the suburbs.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:00 PM

23,319 posts, read 43,781,735 times
Quote:
atlantagreg was right on the money about the 'suburbanization' of former housing project residents in Atlanta through the use of vouchers and public assistance. Consider also that the gentrification of formerly low-income inner city neighborhoods is pushing out the old residents as well as incentivizing the redevelopment of the ground below these housing projects. Suburban areas with a high concentration of apartment complexes and inexpensive sf homes are particularly susceptible.
It may not be the case in ABQ, but it is in many larger cities. I read an article recently about Memphis and the unintended effect that the movement of former housing project residents into the suburbs has had on crimefighting efforts. Memphis police have had major difficulties in that much of the criminal element is no longer concentrated in relatively small areas. They feel that they no longer have a handle on where they should concentrate their patrolling efforts.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:15 PM

37,743 posts, read 40,796,799 times
I don't think I heard either Presidential candidate mention "crime."

Old 04-17-2009, 12:43 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,772,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I don't think I heard either Presidential candidate mention "crime."
Couple of notes...

1) This isn't (and won't become) a political topics thread.

and as a final note to address it so we can say it's been answered...

2) It's probably because past and present Presidents consider crime a problem that most cities SHOULD, with proper city leadership, be able to handle themselves without some kind of National Police Agency.

Now. Topic: Crime in the suburbs today.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:10 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,337,289 times
Pittsburgh is opposite of the OP's premise. Most of the crime is in a few city neighborhoods. The suburbs aren't dense. The worst suburban school system (with one exception) is way better than the city. Although Pittsburgh is green overall, most of the trees, woods, etc., are in the suburbs. All but a couple of the suburbs are overwhelmingly white. Where diversity exists there are problems. Mostly the city and suburbs are the same as they were 50 years ago except where the state forced school mergers.

What happened to Atlanta won't happen here. When new housing is built in the city there won't be any vouchers or special section 8 placements. We went through that in the 1960s and the city has kind of promised that won't happen again. The near future (next few years) is well known and it won't be necessary.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:08 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,149,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Remember the good old days when the suburbs were a place you would move to to escape bad schools, crime, grime and urban density? Well those days are gone.

It seems like the suburbs have more urban density, less trees, more crime, poorer schools and more ethnic diversity than the inner cities.

Is there any old fashioned suburbs any more and where are they?
I sure don't understand this. The suburban/exurban area where I live does not suffer from bad schools, crime or urban density. Things are spread out with lots of open spaces, roads are wide, crime is low and schools are top notch. This is some type of a generalization that you are making that does not hold up in almost any case. People leave the city and move to the suburbs to escape the negative points you indicate. You wouldn't have the suburbs overloaded with people if they were like you described.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.