Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 09:10 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times

Advertisements

That's strange Highway 1 in California is on there. I've driven it, and while it was very beautiful, it was far from SCARY.

I thought Old Fall River Road in the Rocky Mountain National Park was the scariest drive I've ever taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 09:37 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
My personal nomination: I-15 from San Bernardino, CA to Las Vegas, NV. While not terribly challenging (except maybe the grade at Cajon Pass) the two problems I think qualify it:

Drivers headed TO Las Vegas are distracted by dreams of the big money they'll win. Drivers returning FROM Las Vegas are distracted by how much money they've lost...

Trucks (in CA) are limited to 55 mph while cars are allowed to drive 70. The difference in speeds is dangerous.

Other sorta-dangerous roads:

I-71/75 in Northern KY: The last few miles are a rather steep hill with curves. Gets very dangerous in inclement weather.

U.S. 68 between Harrodsburg and Lexington, KY. Absolutely scenic views of KY's horse country but trucks should be banned from this route. (I drove it in a truck)

There's also a fairly long list of mountain passes in the Western U.S. that are fairly exciting in inclement weather, too!

Old 04-18-2009, 09:49 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Many years ago I got lost one night on Gold Camp Road, a narrow gravel road that winds for miles in the mountains above Colorado Springs. Hairpin turns, lack of guardrails and steep drop-offs.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:59 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
50 in Nevada was a wonderful experience. I wouldn't call it scary in the least. I loved it. Also, 1 in California had some drop offs but certainly not scary. Also, the Tail of the Dragon is a great ride.
My scariest roads:
1. Climbing to the top of Mt Washington with my 75 year old half-blind granddad driving the car way to fast. I think my brother sh** his pants.
2. The freeway from LA to San Diego (can't remember the number but I saw the worst accident in my life on it and traffic was still wizzing by at 80)
3. 95 from Richmond, VA to Maine.
4. The Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. ( I drove over it on a very foggy day).
5. The Machinaw Bridge in Michigan. ( I drove over it during a fierce snowstorm).

This is a scary road: (Bolivia)

T

Old 04-19-2009, 07:01 AM

199 posts, read 800,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I thought Old Fall River Road in the Rocky Mountain National Park was the scariest drive I've ever taken.
really? It was just a dirt road at very high elevation. Was I not paying attention or something?

Old 04-19-2009, 08:46 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hymalaia View Post
really? It was just a dirt road at very high elevation. Was I not paying attention or something?
That was why. A one-lane dirt road with steep dropoffs all over and extremely sharp turns.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:24 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,561,398 times
most dangerous roads are when americans are driving in the UK.....you think its easy, its SCARY and CONFUSING as hell. Left on Left wtf is that lol

I lived in london for a year, and everytime one of my friends visited me i would have to walk behind them, just so i can pull them back when they try crossing the street and look the wrong way. it sounds simple but its not, its very confusing.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:56 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Nate14ri, that applies to the continent, too! Stationed in Germany, I always was extra cautious when I saw a U.S. Forces-plated vehicle. Even driving on the same side of the road as back home didn't help; right-of-way in Europe is a LOT different than in the U.S...

Old 04-20-2009, 11:23 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
US-75 north of Topeka up to Fairview is called the "Bermuda Triangle:" by the Kansas Highway Patrol. Perfectly straight and flat, good wide shoulders, and about once a month somebody kills themselves on it in broad daylight.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:59 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,584,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
The deadliest roads aren't always roads that are dangerous to drive on. Queens Blvd here in NYC is one of the most dangerous roads in the country to cross on foot. There are 2 express lanes and 2 local lanes. I always get nervous crossing this street. There have been so many deaths of people crossing this street, it's scary. It's really like a highway.

Maybe the city needs to look into installing pedestrian bridges over the road. We have here on the east side of Columbus Ohio ( Hamilton Rd.) just off the I 70 interchange. There is an elementary school where kids from the neighborhood across Hamilton Rd. attend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.