Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 09:00 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
I tend to base regions off of geography, topography, etc. so I'll say it's because Oklahoma does not have the blanket of trees (except for parts of the eastern half) that the rest of the South has. Most of the area of the state that I associate myself with is in the equilibrium between forest and grassland that eastern Kansas, Iowa, etc. have. That's why I say that (most of) Oklahoma is Midwestern.

Based on culture, then most of Oklahoma becomes Southern and only the Panhandle and areas near the Kansas border become Midwestern.

I just define regions geographically. It's why I say that eastern Colorado is the Midwest - there are no mountains. Just farmland. Same goes with eastern Montana. Though I know that there are pockets of rugged land in that area.
Religiously,politically and culturally, I see OK as the South, but I'm willing to see western parts ( panhandle, etc) as Western; calling it Midwestern, well, I don't know..I think of it as an extension of the South, with some Western elements...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 10:37 AM

31 posts, read 155,143 times
Well geographically it's in the Midwest. Culturally, it's a mix of Midwest and Southern, and of course the Bible Belt is the main reason for making it culturally Southern. Politically, I'd probably say Southern too, but it's funny because most Oklahomans are registered as Democrat more than anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma

And I know that anyone can edit wikipedia but I also read this in the Tulsa World shortly before Obama was elected as the president.

Last edited by archer_22; 11-08-2010 at 10:46 AM..

Old 11-08-2010, 10:46 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,985 times
I've never considered Oklahoma part of the Midwest. I've always viewed it as a state that doesn't really fit into any region, or the mini-Texas.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:50 AM

Mini-Texas?

Ha, that will never happen.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:30 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer_22 View Post
Well geographically it's in the Midwest. Culturally, it's a mix of Midwest and Southern, and of course the Bible Belt is the main reason for making it culturally Southern. Politically, I'd probably say Southern too, but it's funny because most Oklahomans are registered as Democrat more than anything. Oklahoma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I know that anyone can edit wikipedia but I also read this in the Tulsa World shortly before Obama was elected as the president.
The thing is, on that one, Archer, is that the reason for so many -- particulary older -- Oklahomans being "registered democrats" is likely highly coorelated to it having been part of what was once the Democratic "Solid South." Many folks still vote democratic in local elections (this is true of most Southern states) because so many of the candidates are democrats, just like their own people had been a generation before and and a generation before that. And even a couple of regressions before that! LOL But these are generally conservative democrats on that local ballot.

Probably the best reason for Oklahoma to be considered -- at least more Southern than not -- is that it is one of 13 states where a definite majority of residents self-identify with the South more than the Midwest. The opposite becomes true when Kansans are surveyed.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:21 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,744,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer_22 View Post
Well geographically it's in the Midwest. Culturally, it's a mix of Midwest and Southern, and of course the Bible Belt is the main reason for making it culturally Southern. Politically, I'd probably say Southern too, but it's funny because most Oklahomans are registered as Democrat more than anything.

Oklahoma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

how is it georgraphically the Midwest? Why would one Midwestern state randomly be South of all the others?

Old 11-08-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
how is it georgraphically the Midwest? Why would one Midwestern state randomly be South of all the others?
I explained the math to that on page 9. I'd also like to add that since the earth is round, and Texas is so large, it makes it look like Oklahoma is dragged further south but it's just an optical illusion.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:45 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,018 times
Optical illusion? Draw a line from Oklahoma eastward and you'll hit Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina before exiting the continent. That's no illusion: Oklahoma is in the far southern part of the U.S.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:31 AM

Oh great, Kazoo's back. Read page 9 for the geographical part and just maybe you'll understand what I mean as I am talking about the MIDDLE part of the U.S.

Edit: Let me explain these points ONE MORE TIME. To get the correct center of the contiguous (48) states, you have to get the extreme points of the all those 48 states. The easternmost point is West Quoddy Head, ME which is 66.58° W and the westernmost point is the Bodelteh Islands, WA at 124.75° W. Add those two together, divide by 2 and you'll get 95.67° W. The southernmost point is Ballast Key, FL at 24.33° N and the northernmost point is Northwest Angle, MN at 49.25° N. Add those two together and, once again, divide by two and you'll get 36.79° N. The town that has the closest coordinates to that is Delaware, OK, thus, Oklahoma is geographically a Midwest state.

Got it? You can argue that it's "far southern", but GEOGRAPHICALLY, it's not.

Last edited by archer_22; 11-09-2010 at 12:54 AM..

Old 11-09-2010, 11:40 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,998,511 times
Um,

The Geographic center of the Continental US is Smith Center, Kansas.

That's near the Nebraska line.

According to the US Geological Service.

But I know from a few summers during my wayward youth spent with an uncle and cousins who favored the honky-tonks around Lawton and Altus, Ok., that Oklahomans (especially with a few beers in 'em) call Texas, 'Baja Oklahoma.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.