Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 03:46 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,552,660 times

Advertisements

Yea i know what you mean about those darn red necks, sloppy sloppy sloppy, now my self i take real good care of except when i'm workin, i might get a lil grease on me from workin on my ol truck, it's a 1966 chevy runs like a top but the body's purty rough, gotta bucket in the drivers side strapped down so i gotta place to sit, makes it a lot easier ya know, before i got that bucket i had to use an old swing i found hung from the roof o the cab, worked purtygood except for sharp curves, those you had to be careful of since i ain't got doors and you swing out a bit if you goin too fast ya know.

Got an old john deere i use to plow with, even gotta seat mounted on it next to the fender so my old dog can ride along, i go about two rows then the dust starts buildin up on my skin so that keeps most o the sun off o me, natures own sun block ya know all natural, i tend to keep my hair tied up in a pony tail, looks a lot nicer since folks can see me from the road, me an old rebel that's my dog we try to eat healthy too, the doc told me that since we was eatin a lotta road kill that it contained too much o that saturated oil, i figure it's all them cars that keep runnin over it oil from there motors gets on it ya know and don't cook out so we just decided that it's best we just eat right outta the field, snakes, possums, catch a few fish outta my pond, we figure it's best to get the ones floatin on top the water ya know it's easy for ol rebel to catchem that way plus they cook faster since they been out in the sun kinda like that fancy pre cooked you see in them food stores.

Speakin o goin to a store, that's when we really get all gussied up, me an ol rebel we'll wander on down to the pond, ya know the one with the fish in it, we'll take a bar o soap with us an by golly take our baths right there, that's how we get our excercisin in too, then run on back to the house right quick, dip out a lil bacon grease and make my hair look all slick that way with it bein so long an not in a pony tail it don't fly around and make me look sloppy, folks in the city don't know the difference so i just tellem it's hair gel, got that idea from tv one time when i seen it was advertised, i keep an old muskrat out back i keep penned up, those city folk ain't caught onto that trick yet, ya gotta promise me know that you won't tell nobody bout this here trick, what ya do is take that there ol muskrat and squeeze him real hard in the belly but not too much or else he'll bite ya and you'll get muskrat excretement on your fancy clothes, then you get what they call musk oil out of that fella, it smells real pretty like too cause you don't wanna go to town smellin all offensive.

I usually wear my new house slippers to town to, can't wear my boots since they got manure all in em from tendin to the hogs, but them slippers they look just like indian mocassins real leather too i think, i keep a new pair o bibs just for goin to town too, you know that way part o my underweare shows when i leave em unbuttoned just like them kids do, i think it might make me look younger too you know more hip as they say plus they have that casual look you was talkin bout, yea when me an ol rebel show up in the town we'll look slicker than all get out, just like you i bet.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:59 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
This is another perceptive. I just traveled 2200 miles from New Mexico to Pennsylvania. I didn't see any rednecks, but perhaps it was still too chilly.

I saw very few people I'd say were ugly, fat or inappropriately dressed but perhaps I wasn't looking for them in TX, OK, MO, IL, IN, KY, WVA. And I sure didn't notice those folks when leaving NM, or on arriving in PA.

We must have been traveling different roads, at a different season, with different eye-wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I recently went on a cross country automobile trip. My wife and I spent over a month traveling through the South and Midwest. We wanted to make a special trip to Small Town America and visit the most rural and isolated parts of America. It was an eye opening experience. While I ran into many nice people and a cast of characters that I will never forget, I was shocked how many real nasty looking Rednecks we have in America.

If someone was home-bound and not able to get outside and only contact with the rest of America was via television, you would have a false sense of what the typical person looked like in America. On TV most folks are nice looking and interested in their appearance. Also most people are white. Get outside and a whole new America shows itself.

In my travels I was shocked what I saw. So many people are FAT, just plain fat. Also so many people are just plain UGLY. So many people are also quite SLOPPY in their appearance. I saw so many people who appeared to have no self respect. They wore clothes that was not fitting, needed a haircut or an style update, were so overweight, were smoking up a storm, and whose face and bodies showed a life of bad choices and neglect. I have no word for people like this other than REDNECK.

So, what State in America has the most REDNECKS?

Old 04-01-2007, 04:21 PM

15 posts, read 118,925 times
Poor rednecks!! I prefer THEIR company to materialistic people who look down on you for not wearing expensive, designer clothes or for letting yourself age "naturally." What happened to--it's what is inside that counts??

Old 04-01-2007, 04:32 PM

612 posts, read 2,778,365 times
LMAO! I wear designer clothes, live in a gorgoeous home, drive an expensive SUV, look ten years younger than I am, and dear me, I'm still a redneck at heart, born and bred in Upstate NY.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:07 PM

364 posts, read 526,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveJesus View Post
Poor rednecks!! I prefer THEIR company to materialistic people who look down on you for not wearing expensive, designer clothes or for letting yourself age "naturally." What happened to--it's what is inside that counts??
Since I have read so many posts from others saying they are "insulted" I will too. I find the idea that wealthy individuals are all "looking down on others" is insulting. That is not true. It is just something the lower class has come up with to rag on individuals for driving nice cars and wearing designer clothes. BTW, that's not a crime. You can look great on the outside and be a great person on the inside as well. It's not one or the other. I have driven luxury cars since I was 16. I have been voluntering on my weekends with several animal charitys since I had that nice car at 16. And let's not forget there are those who drive a crap car, look like crap and don't give a crap about others as well. It's not black and white!

Old 04-01-2007, 05:13 PM

786 posts, read 4,732,562 times
While I am interested in my appearance I buy most of my stuff at Walmart and Sears. I am not stuffy at all but have no respect for someone who tries to look dirty, ugly and fat. Have some self respect.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:39 AM

283 posts, read 1,193,613 times
Default LOL! I cried! That was very funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee View Post
Yea i know what you mean about those darn red necks, sloppy sloppy sloppy, now my self i take real good care of except when i'm workin, i might get a lil grease on me from workin on my ol truck, it's a 1966 chevy runs like a top but the body's purty rough, gotta bucket in the drivers side strapped down so i gotta place to sit, makes it a lot easier ya know, before i got that bucket i had to use an old swing i found hung from the roof o the cab, worked purtygood except for sharp curves, those you had to be careful of since i ain't got doors and you swing out a bit if you goin too fast ya know.

Got an old john deere i use to plow with, even gotta seat mounted on it next to the fender so my old dog can ride along, i go about two rows then the dust starts buildin up on my skin so that keeps most o the sun off o me, natures own sun block ya know all natural, i tend to keep my hair tied up in a pony tail, looks a lot nicer since folks can see me from the road, me an old rebel that's my dog we try to eat healthy too, the doc told me that since we was eatin a lotta road kill that it contained too much o that saturated oil, i figure it's all them cars that keep runnin over it oil from there motors gets on it ya know and don't cook out so we just decided that it's best we just eat right outta the field, snakes, possums, catch a few fish outta my pond, we figure it's best to get the ones floatin on top the water ya know it's easy for ol rebel to catchem that way plus they cook faster since they been out in the sun kinda like that fancy pre cooked you see in them food stores.

ADD NOTE:
Just information, I thought would be pertnant. I am a very neat and clean person, and even though I can't figure out what they like about me; I quess I'm not hurting too bad in the looks department; I moved to CA because modeling provided lots of extra cash for me when I was a kid and as I got older I found it harder to keep this cash flow coming in so far away from PT work. One of biggest things I have noticed. having this part time profession, is that most pretty people suck. Stuck on themselves so badly that no one and nothing else matters.

Speakin o goin to a store, that's when we really get all gussied up, me an ol rebel we'll wander on down to the pond, ya know the one with the fish in it, we'll take a bar o soap with us an by golly take our baths right there, that's how we get our excercisin in too, then run on back to the house right quick, dip out a lil bacon grease and make my hair look all slick that way with it bein so long an not in a pony tail it don't fly around and make me look sloppy, folks in the city don't know the difference so i just tellem it's hair gel, got that idea from tv one time when i seen it was advertised, i keep an old muskrat out back i keep penned up, those city folk ain't caught onto that trick yet, ya gotta promise me know that you won't tell nobody bout this here trick, what ya do is take that there ol muskrat and squeeze him real hard in the belly but not too much or else he'll bite ya and you'll get muskrat excretement on your fancy clothes, then you get what they call musk oil out of that fella, it smells real pretty like too cause you don't wanna go to town smellin all offensive.

I usually wear my new house slippers to town to, can't wear my boots since they got manure all in em from tendin to the hogs, but them slippers they look just like indian mocassins real leather too i think, i keep a new pair o bibs just for goin to town too, you know that way part o my underweare shows when i leave em unbuttoned just like them kids do, i think it might make me look younger too you know more hip as they say plus they have that casual look you was talkin bout, yea when me an ol rebel show up in the town we'll look slicker than all get out, just like you i bet.
Thank you so much for this post. We talked like this making fun of family, friends and neighbors like this as we grew up on the southside of ATL and SoGA. So glad to find someone with a similar sense of humor. It's only funny because people actually believe it. I was rich growing up and quite a snob myself but only in school and at work. Ya, know keeping up apperences. Doesn't last long though. The real world caught up with me and I realized I had be able to communicate with everyone. Looks are very decieving. Some of the greatest people I know are people that I at one time didn't even want to be seen with or near. All kinds of racisim are present here! People should revaluate this word. It is used too often for the wrong things but certainly fits here when true feelings of discontent and hatered are buried so deep in someones appearance that you could even dismiss them as scum of the earth simply because you don't think they are up to snuff. I think if you'll look at some of the inventors, or our leaders (past or current) undoubtedly some of the smartest, hardest working people; quite a few are very ugly indeed. Hollywood looks generally come with a price and Dr's bill. But according to purely racist, ignorate and uneducated fools (book smarts don't count) I would have to say California has the worst of them. I had never experienced the racisim til moving here. Maybe I had and didn't realize it but everything negative is taken in stride, dealt with and then laughed about in the south.

ADD NOTE:
Just thought this information would be pertnant. I consider myself to be a very clean guy & although I can't figure out why people like my look, I must not be lacking in the looks department to badly. I have modeled since I was a kid and just recently found it harder to keep this extra cash rolling in because of my location in GA but now in CA and have no problem making my part time profession work for me. I mention this because in the modeling industry I can safely say that most pretty people suck. No morales or at least actions speaking louder than words, says they don't. So stuck on themselves no one and nothing else matters. A nice country wife sounds real good to me and a couple country bumpkin kids. I can't wait to raise my own rednecks.

Last edited by pickleswanson; 04-02-2007 at 05:03 AM.. Reason: add note

Old 04-02-2007, 08:49 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
red·neck /ˈrɛdˌnɛk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[red-nek] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation Informal: Often Disparaging.
–noun 1. an uneducated white farm laborer, esp. from the South.
2. a bigot or reactionary, esp. from the rural working class.
–adjective 3. Also, red-necked. narrow, prejudiced, or reactionary: a redneck attitude.

Are these the people you met? Doesn't quite sound like your descriptions. And actually if you look at #3, "narrow, prejudiced, or reactionary", perhaps you would request deletion of this thread for fear of seeing the man in the mirror.
^Very well said FL_TN_Nana.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:56 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjbrent View Post
Since I have read so many posts from others saying they are "insulted" I will too. I find the idea that wealthy individuals are all "looking down on others" is insulting. That is not true. It is just something the lower class has come up with to rag on individuals for driving nice cars and wearing designer clothes. BTW, that's not a crime. You can look great on the outside and be a great person on the inside as well. It's not one or the other. I have driven luxury cars since I was 16. I have been voluntering on my weekends with several animal charitys since I had that nice car at 16. And let's not forget there are those who drive a crap car, look like crap and don't give a crap about others as well. It's not black and white!
It has nothing to do with wearing nice clothes, driving nice cars, or "taking care of your skin." It has everything to do with doing all of these things and looking down on those who don't fit your bill of "what's right" and judging others by how they look. I think a good dose of "walking a mile in another's shoes" might be in order here. You don't know what is involved in the day-to-day lives of those people who don't look or act up to your standards. Many people who are poor have had alot of stress on their lives and are working to survive (period). The last priority on their mind is what kind of lotion to use or which suit to take to the cleaners. Just because it may have been a relatively easy life for you doesn't give you the right to judge someone based on their looks or superficial behavior. And the same goes for those who might be considered "rednecks" judging someone such as yourself who has a nice car, nice home, or dresses nice. To each their own is what I say; live and let live.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:06 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjbrent View Post
I believe the term previously used was "materialistic" rather than wealthy. There's a difference. Nobody said all wealthy individuals are looking down on others. I know some very wealthy people who have given their lives to God and people. Some of them are very well dressed, drive luxury cars, have beautiful homes plus vacation homes, own commercial properties, a private school, etc.. Others look like they were working in the garden all day and drive a pickup truck. But NONE of these wonderful people look down on those with less and surely wouldn't go about calling other people derogatory names. That's because they are weathy and thankful, not materialistic and arrogant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.