Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 09:08 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,255 times

Advertisements

I find this thread to be politically incorrect, and rather mean too, Rednecks are people too, even if we are not like them, we shouldn't bash them, that is their way of life! GEEZ.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:18 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times
if that is your description Dingler of Redneck, you should add the urban ghettos too where people dress sloppy with baggy pants, big cheap white teeshirts, live in poor housing and dirty trash strewn neighborhoods.

why are you just talking about rednecks--how about all poor people??

lots of rednecks in NY, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Vermont, Massachuessetts
Oregon, Idaho, California, Ohio, Indiana.

but there is nothing wrong with people being poor, they dont need to be callled names.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:40 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,255 times
I hope someone closes this thread and reports it, it is very insulting to the overweight population of America...and is very un PC. I think the person who started this thread should educate himself and take a course on human compassion and respect maybe, and learn some manners as well.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:42 AM

786 posts, read 4,732,562 times
Being grossly overweight and sloppy is not to be proud of. It is a form of mental illness regardless of ones financial standing. Is my post Politically Correct, I guess not.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:44 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
Most of the OPs threads have a negative bias, but it is his/her privilege, I suppose--although frankly I find them all offensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
I hope someone closes this thread and reports it, it is very insulting to the overweight population of America...and is very un PC. I think the person who started this thread should educate himself and take a course on human compassion and respect maybe, and learn some manners as well.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:08 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,475,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Being grossly overweight and sloppy is not to be proud of. It is a form of mental illness regardless of ones financial standing. Is my post Politically Correct, I guess not.
A form of mental illness? What are you, an armchair psychologist?

The people we're talking about just don't know any better. They aren't 'mentally ill', they just live by the social standards of their family and friends, who all have similar values.

To me, this entire discussion is akin to a group of billionaires sitting around, saying, "Well, I just can't understand why these disgusting middle class people have to work in jobs. They have to stand in lines and use public restrooms. Some of them even have to ride public transportation. These people should have some self-respect! Some of them don't even play the cello or speak fluent French. I'm just embarassed to be an American."

In other words, this whole 'anti-redneck' point of view is just a sad, sick way of making upper-middle class people feel good about their pedantic social mores.

Last edited by anonymous; 04-02-2007 at 10:16 AM..

Old 04-02-2007, 10:16 AM

66 posts, read 377,274 times
Dingler: GET A LIFE! Maybe you need to get out more - there are people like this in every state and country in the world. But the way you describe these people could apply to people in all walks of life. Your post is so insulting and ignorant, it just proves my point. You are no better than anyone and why would you generalize a whole population?? Besides, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:25 AM

364 posts, read 526,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Most of the OPs threads have a negative bias, but it is his/her privilege, I suppose--although frankly I find them all offensive.
If you find them all offensive why the heck are you on here?

Old 04-02-2007, 10:30 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times
[quote=FL_TN_Nana;523131]Often Disparaging

–noun 1. an uneducated white farm laborer, esp. from the South.

2. a bigot or reactionary, esp. from the rural working class.

–adjective 3. Also, red-necked. narrow, prejudiced, or reactionary: a redneck attitude.

Are these the people you met? Doesn't quite sound like your descriptions. And actually if you look at #3, "narrow, prejudiced, or reactionary", perhaps you would request deletion of this thread for fear of seeing the man in the mirror.[quote]

To add to FL_TN_Nana's post, redneck is also referred to as offensive slang and used as a disparaging term for a member of the white rural laboring class, especially in the southern United States, a white person regarded as having a provincial, conservative, often bigoted attitude.

Other than the decription of the attitude of the rednecks, they seem to be hard-working people. That's more than I can say for so many stealing from the government with their welfare checks and really working the system to their advantage. Then there are the people who collect disability checks and have no disabilities. How about the weathly who try to cheat a little on their taxes?

Dingler, FL_TN_Nana has a great question for you. You pretty much fit the redneck attitude of a bigot. Does that make you a redneck too?

Once again, a redneck is not a person who drives a pickup truck (might though ~ I do and love it, but I'm not a redneck), ruins the English language (might though, just like the materialistic or wealthy can do and even many of the highly educated act like they never learned grammar), and takes from the government. I know if they'd just rid themselves of bigoted attitudes, they'd be just like you are (less the bigotry) as long as you, as well, are hard working.

And why in the world do you care that people are fat and sloppily dressed? If they want to ruin their health, so be it. On a selfish note, I'd rather see a fat person that be around someone who is blowing their disgusting smoke in my face to help ruin my health or the fool who drinks and gets behind the wheel and endangers me and my loved ones. At least the overweight can't ruin my health and either can the sloppily attired.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:30 AM

364 posts, read 526,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
It has nothing to do with wearing nice clothes, driving nice cars, or "taking care of your skin." It has everything to do with doing all of these things and looking down on those who don't fit your bill of "what's right" and judging others by how they look. I think a good dose of "walking a mile in another's shoes" might be in order here. You don't know what is involved in the day-to-day lives of those people who don't look or act up to your standards. Many people who are poor have had alot of stress on their lives and are working to survive (period). The last priority on their mind is what kind of lotion to use or which suit to take to the cleaners. Just because it may have been a relatively easy life for you doesn't give you the right to judge someone based on their looks or superficial behavior. And the same goes for those who might be considered "rednecks" judging someone such as yourself who has a nice car, nice home, or dresses nice. To each their own is what I say; live and let live.
Your talking to the wrong person. I was responding to someone generalizing this "looking down on crap". Don't dare tell me to walk in someone elses shoes. You know nothing about my life or how much stress I have had. I wasn't the one calling someone a redneck on this thread or judging others. You as well as the person I was responding were the ones judging others. I was the one trying to dismay the generalazations. Again, do not dare tell me anything about my situation you know nothing about. I believe you should be arguring and telling Dingler the OP what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.