Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 02:28 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Anyone who says that you can avoid hurricane damage by going 30 miles inland obviously hasn't lived in the Southeast. A hurricane is a huge amount of energy and it doesn't dissipate easily. It's common for areas 100+ miles inland to get heave flooding and moderate tornado damage from a storm (taking it to an extreme, my inlaws in south-central Michigan had about $10K worth of basement flooding damage from the remnants of Hurricane Ike last year) I'd rather take my chances down closer to the coast- once the winds die down it's not as bad since the sandy soil drains a lot better than the clay you find further inland.

Having said that, most tropical storm and minor hurricane weather is more of annoyance than anything else. More than 80% of the time a tropical storm is the Southeastern equivalent of a snow day.

We're in a low property tax part of Florida. Admittedly we got in before the boom, but we pay $1200/year in property taxes, and we'd pay more than three times than that for a similar value home in the Grand Rapids area if we'd stayed in Michigan. Insurance costs can vary hugely, but if you're not on a barrier island, at least 30 feet above sea level and your area doesn't have drainage or sinkhole issues, it's not too bad.
I was thinking more along the lines of Atlanta; much further inland than just 30 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 02:38 PM

943 posts, read 3,159,854 times
Have you checked out the unemployment rates in the Southern State? Georgia and NC and SC have unemployment rates almost as high as Michigan.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:34 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhw2 View Post
Tampa was were I was thinking, is Clearwater similar to Tampa. I have heard it's a really nice area, but what about crime and things like that? Are there any affordable condos/homes in the area(lower than 200,000)? Are there any other areas that I should look into around the Tampa area as well?
There is crime in FL, make no mistake. However, a lot of it is way overhyped by the media, and as long as you pick a nicer area and stay smart you shouldn't have any problems. Plus there is way more law enforcement in Florida than I remember there being in Michigan. The "dangerous" parts of the state are mostly confined to South Florida and the inner parts of the other cities, so just be careful about the City of Tampa itself, otherwise you should be fine...

You probably can find something in that range in a nice area, Tampa Bay does not have the outrageous cost of living that Miami does. But I must admit I don't know details...perhaps you should check out the Tampa Bay forum on CityData?

Clearwater is in Pinellas County....closer to the Gulf, so it'll probably be more crowded and more expensive than Hillsborough... but I've been there several times, and I really think Pinellas is a nice place..

Specifically, I have heard good things about Tarpon Springs, Dunedin, Clearwater, Largo and some other cities in Pinellas County..

Other than Pinellas County... Hillsborough, Pasco and Manatee are pretty close....and if you want something a little less crowded and little more rural/conservative but still close, check out Polk County...

Where at in MI are you from? Just a fair warning....some of my friends from rural MI have had "trouble" adjusting to the big urban areas, so if your from rural MI you might want to look at a mid-size county like Polk or Pasco instead of a very crowded one like Pinellas or Hillsborough..

Old 04-22-2009, 04:54 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Have you checked out the unemployment rates in the Southern State? Georgia and NC and SC have unemployment rates almost as high as Michigan.
Michigan tops the list with 12.6%, but SC is 3rd with 11.4. NC is almost 11%. In fact, the state with the lowest unemployment rate in the Southeast is Louisiana, with 5.8%.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:14 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,490,725 times
Try Dallas, Houston or Atlanta.

People are moving to those cities for a reason...... The reason is because those cities have good jobs

Old 04-22-2009, 05:21 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
Try Dallas, Houston or Atlanta.

People are moving to those cities for a reason...... The reason is because those cities have good jobs
Well.... had good jobs. And are still doing okay. However, no place in the nation is immune to the soft economy. Atlanta lost 82,000 jobs between Dec 07 and Dec 08. I don't know about Houston and Dallas.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:37 PM

24 posts, read 44,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
There is crime in FL, make no mistake. However, a lot of it is way overhyped by the media, and as long as you pick a nicer area and stay smart you shouldn't have any problems. Plus there is way more law enforcement in Florida than I remember there being in Michigan. The "dangerous" parts of the state are mostly confined to South Florida and the inner parts of the other cities, so just be careful about the City of Tampa itself, otherwise you should be fine...

You probably can find something in that range in a nice area, Tampa Bay does not have the outrageous cost of living that Miami does. But I must admit I don't know details...perhaps you should check out the Tampa Bay forum on CityData?

Clearwater is in Pinellas County....closer to the Gulf, so it'll probably be more crowded and more expensive than Hillsborough... but I've been there several times, and I really think Pinellas is a nice place..

Specifically, I have heard good things about Tarpon Springs, Dunedin, Clearwater, Largo and some other cities in Pinellas County..

Other than Pinellas County... Hillsborough, Pasco and Manatee are pretty close....and if you want something a little less crowded and little more rural/conservative but still close, check out Polk County...

Where at in MI are you from? Just a fair warning....some of my friends from rural MI have had "trouble" adjusting to the big urban areas, so if your from rural MI you might want to look at a mid-size county like Polk or Pasco instead of a very crowded one like Pinellas or Hillsborough..

Yeah I was thinking Dunedin as well as Spring Hill, I'm not really looking fora smaller city. I'm from Sterling Heights, about 12 miles north of Detroit, so the transition will not be difficult. Thanks for the information on everything it is appreciated. After looking into the south I feel very shaky about it, I'm not to sure what to think. This is a much harder decision then I thought it would be. What about Colorado, does anybody have any information on Colorado, that seems like a pretty stable state to me, although it is completely different as far as weather than the southern state, but I feel it would be wise to look into it as well.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:58 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
This is true, but up here we hear more success stories of people finding jobs that left our state to move down there then if someone stayed living in our own state.

For the OP, I remember hearing on HGTV's House Hunters that Austin, TX is a hip place for young professionals (28-30 somethings.)

Last edited by Jwo85; 04-22-2009 at 08:11 PM..

Old 04-22-2009, 09:31 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,062 times
Why North Carolina for Michigan residents

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...high-tech+jobs

Old 04-23-2009, 08:55 PM

278 posts, read 1,001,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhw2 View Post
Yeah I was thinking Dunedin as well as Spring Hill, I'm not really looking fora smaller city. I'm from Sterling Heights, about 12 miles north of Detroit, so the transition will not be difficult. Thanks for the information on everything it is appreciated. After looking into the south I feel very shaky about it, I'm not to sure what to think. This is a much harder decision then I thought it would be. What about Colorado, does anybody have any information on Colorado, that seems like a pretty stable state to me, although it is completely different as far as weather than the southern state, but I feel it would be wise to look into it as well.
My sister lived in Denver for 7 yrs.. origionally from Battle Creek, Mi. Depends where you live. Right now Loveland and FT Collins area is rated one of the best cities in the country to live in. The winters are pretty mild with the exceptionally snow storm every now and again.. It can litterly be 70 one day then 10 the next day with 5" of snow.. East of the mountain ranges usually get less then half of what the mountains do in snow falls... Since you are 5,000' above sea level you are closer to the sun and the sun melts all the snow off the streets/sidewalks unlike MI. Summers are mild with temps in the 80s usually... Cost of living is about twice what MI is. Lots of young people and TONS to do outside. My sister loved it but moved to Kansas after her car was broken into every 6 months in a denver neighborhood..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.