Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:25 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times

Advertisements

i have lived in many plaes that are not ethnically diverse and many places that were. didnt find much difference except for food choices
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 11:43 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,082,901 times
Couldnt care less. Personally though I believe this whole diversity thing is way overblown. I dont need diversity in the work place or community to be happy. Its something people say they want so they can pat themselves on the back and appear "open minded".

Old 04-02-2007, 12:00 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
Native:

You are exactly correct. I lived in racially diverse cities, like the one i live in now, and it may be racially diverse but it is not racially tolerant. It is still segregated by race and economic backgrounds.

why is racial diversity important but class diversity not important for a healthy place to live?

why is not ideological diversity, political diversity, religious diversity not as important? Because the black caucus and leaders make white liberals so afraid of being called racist that they acquiesce to whatever the blacks say in order to get their vote.

meanwhile, they remain racially segregated but give them diversity as a crumb

Old 04-02-2007, 01:50 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,552,147 times
Isn't it fun playing with trolls guy's, such simple minded creatures they are

Old 04-02-2007, 02:06 PM

923 posts, read 3,512,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Why does race even have to matter at all? Have we learned nothing from the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s or the current Gay Rights Movement about treating others the way you would like to be treated? I truly wish some of you would STOP with the "naive, little kid" comments in reference to me as well just because I am able to look past such superficial differences in a person to try to see their "big picture." I may be quite young, but I'm learning a tremendous deal about the levels of compassion in this nation (or lackthereof). I was robbed in high school by a WHITE kid, so those of you who attempt to stereotype African-Americans as being criminally-intentioned are off-the-wall. I'm best friends with an Asian-American who isn't a "math standout" by any means. I'm gay myself, and, lo and behold, NO AIDS! Why do Americans have to be so ethnocentric when so many nations are apparently "ahead of the curve" in this regard?

Minorities are here to stay. You can either learn to treat them in the same manner you'd treat any other white person, or you should leave our nation. Nobody should feel threatened, ostracized, cast out, etc. just because they weren't "lucky" enough to be born into the mainstream. It's racial issues like these (that dominate the political forums), that make me embarrassed to tell others I hail from the U.S. They must think we're all a bunch of hate-filled, spiteful, ethnocentrics when nothing could be further from the truth for most of us!

I think you are "Projecting" these things Scranton...
"Fish, Inherently, Swim with their own...It is not "Evil" Nor "Demonic"...
Take a chill-pill, Virginia...

Old 04-02-2007, 02:23 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,343,459 times
I dont think diversity is as much on my mind as rural vs urban. I cant live in a small town anywhere USA. I get bored very quickly. I have to be on the outskirts of a city. Go wherever you're happy. I dont think race should determine where you live. Although if you were to say a place was to diverse and it makes the people there rigid and therefore the area less likeable I would definitely understand that. I also do not want to be an a very liberal area as they tend to be very anti-family places with very high prices.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:54 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
Since I live in an area that severly lacks diversity, I would prefer to live in an area with diversity. Funny though, the area is 99.99%white, about 45% of the children are on the reduced luch fee program, come from poor homes, yet the United Negro College Fund has managed to choose our town to plaster up billboards in various areas. Do they do any research before doing this?

Old 04-02-2007, 05:34 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,852,865 times
Default Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I recently visited Spokane Washington. This City has to be one of the Whitest cities in America. I saw very few ethnic minorities in the City or nearby suburbs. I thought the City was nice and very middle class. It reminded me of a place from the "good old days" It had kind of a old fashioned relaxed way about it. Though some would call it dull because there was limited ethnic diversity.

In 1960, 89% of America was White. (9% Black and 2% everything else). When I grew up in the Midwest in the 1950s and 60s I never saw any minorities, everyone was White. While life was not perfect, it seemed like people mixed better with each other back then because more people came from the similar backgrounds.

I now live in a City (Annandale VA) that is more like a United Nations. Our High School has people from over 50 different countries and there is some racial tension. I would not say there is alot of conflict but more isolation than when I grew up. So many people come from different ethnic backgrounds and speak English as their second language so they tend to only socialize with people from their own countries. Though exposure to people of varied backgrounds may have advantages.

I am not talking about liberal thinking or acceptance of gays, or people who chose an alternative lifestyle. I am talking about race (ethnic diversity) only. I think it is possible for a City like Spokane to be tolerant but not diverse but a City like Annandale to be ethically diverse but isolating and rigid.

What is a better type of community to live in, a place like Spokane, WA-- where most people are White, or Annandale VA where we have a United Nations of races and White people like me a now in a minority.??
There are several cities in the northwest that are mostly white but as far as I know it's not because we are keeping out other races. Anyone is free to move here. Yes Spokane and some of the towns in eastern washington and Oregon are mostly white. There are other towns that have mostly Mexicans. I don't know how all that happened.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:53 PM

101 posts, read 315,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
Native:

You are exactly correct. I lived in racially diverse cities, like the one i live in now, and it may be racially diverse but it is not racially tolerant. It is still segregated by race and economic backgrounds.

why is racial diversity important but class diversity not important for a healthy place to live?

why is not ideological diversity, political diversity, religious diversity not as important? Because the black caucus and leaders make white liberals so afraid of being called racist that they acquiesce to whatever the blacks say in order to get their vote.

meanwhile, they remain racially segregated but give them diversity as a crumb

I am surprised you did not mention your race in this post as it seems to appear in many of them. I have not noticed one other poster mention there race on this board. You state it constantly. "I'm a black man in a mostly white area" or "don't they know they are offending blacks". It can't be relevant every time you mention it. I have heard more blacks bring up blacks then I have ever heard whites. You are an example of that on this board when your race could easily come up at least half as often.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:55 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,433,651 times
I grew up in one and I think I turned out allright! Hee Hee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.