Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,672 times

Advertisements

I am a young (19) Swedish girl (if age and nationality is of any importance) who is contemplating living in the U.S for approx. 4 months (August-January). Since I hate snow and crappy weather, I’m looking for a city with an agreeable climate, preferably a big/lively city. A great nightlife is important too, so do you guys have any suggestions for me? As long as I don’t get killed or robbed every time a leave the house, crime rate is not very important. Good possibility to rent a cheap-ass apartment would be a plus. I also adore a heavy southern accent..heh. If I'm successful obtaining work visa, the possibility of getting temporary work is something to consider. Pole dancing, mowing lawns, walking dogs or whatever.

I’ve thought about:
Miami (I unfortunately don’t speak a word Spanish)
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
San Diego
SF- bay area (seems a bit too expensive for me, and a tad bit too cold)
New Orleans (might be cold in the winter? I’m still in love with the city though)
Houston

Any suggestions or comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 06:31 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,663,751 times
Miami,Atlanta and Houston sound about right for you.
San Diego would be great also but no accents and maybe to expensive.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:41 PM

18,967 posts, read 32,441,921 times
I'd try New Orleans or Miami. I think you would get by in Miami w/o knowing spanish. New Orleans is not that cold in winter and can get warm. What do you consider "cold" btw? NOLA is great though for what you are looking for and its a pretty cool city.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:41 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,875,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I'd try New Orleans or Miami. I think you would get by in Miami w/o knowing spanish. New Orleans is not that cold in winter and can get warm. What do you consider "cold" btw? NOLA is great though for what you are looking for and its a pretty cool city.
Depends... Are you hot? If not Maybe Wasilla, Alaska would be a good fit? jk

If your wanting to work, go to Houston. The other cities would be a bit tougher to find work.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:25 PM

128 posts, read 539,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swecherrypie View Post
temporary work is something to consider. Pole dancing, mowing lawns, walking dogs or whatever.
Pole dancing? Nice....anyways my suggestions for you, miami, nyc, sandiego

Old 04-23-2009, 09:27 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,393,659 times
I have a bedroom that gets pretty warm at night.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:10 PM

970 posts, read 2,939,909 times

Old 04-24-2009, 01:17 PM

210 posts, read 843,369 times
The bay area gets very hot in the months you mentioned.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:50 PM

1,126 posts, read 4,548,836 times
lots of europeans have made the move to Miami (Beach) its beautiful there, as are the people.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:42 PM

5,542 posts, read 9,444,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swecherrypie View Post
I am a young (19) Swedish girl (if age and nationality is of any importance) who is contemplating living in the U.S for approx. 4 months (August-January). Since I hate snow and crappy weather, I’m looking for a city with an agreeable climate, preferably a big/lively city. A great nightlife is important too, so do you guys have any suggestions for me? As long as I don’t get killed or robbed every time a leave the house, crime rate is not very important. Good possibility to rent a cheap-ass apartment would be a plus. I also adore a heavy southern accent..heh. If I'm successful obtaining work visa, the possibility of getting temporary work is something to consider. Pole dancing, mowing lawns, walking dogs or whatever.

I’ve thought about:
Miami (I unfortunately don’t speak a word Spanish)
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
San Diego
SF- bay area (seems a bit too expensive for me, and a tad bit too cold)
New Orleans (might be cold in the winter? I’m still in love with the city though)
Houston

Any suggestions or comments?
If the the Southern accent is really that important to you definitely choose Houston over New Orleans. Every time I go to New Orleans the folks talk like they're from the Bronx or something. Although, the burbs around New Orleans have a heavy Southern accent. Also, you won't get a Southern accent in Miami either.

Just FYI if it is really that big of a deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.