Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 11:36 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Why do you care what other people think or what they do? Live your life.
Humans are social creatures and it's quite unhealthy for individual members of the species to live in a vacuum. My life is inextricably tied up with the lives of others I interact with on some level or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 11:41 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
CarolinaBredChicagoan, you're right that we probably do ultimately agree (although I think he can find somewhere non-stereotypical Southern CA in LA); I think the OP will have to try to find a new kind of community wherever he moves, though. Maybe moving to an entirely different kind of neighborhood - even if in or near a new city - is the solution. He mentioned people comparing cars and size of houses; that, plus his location 20 miles outside of LA (although admittedly not necessarily an indicator of suburbaness, given LA's unique layout) suggests that maybe he should try out a city neighborhood for a change, or at least a drastically different kind of suburban area.
Right on. It's a good place to start.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:06 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
So Omaha is really LA-on-the Missouri ? who knew? I guess that could explain why y'all are so full of yourselves.

If the OP hadn't mentioned family I'd say for sure strike out for Portland or just about anywhere else (except NYC and, I guess, Omaha). With the family ties look for a more congenial enclave. Best to ask in the LA forum.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:02 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Try a city in Pennsylvania. People in that state are some of the nicest, most genuine people I have ever encountered. That's where I met my wife (yes there is a bias). In fact, if I were single knowing what I know now, I would spend some time in PA where there is an abundance of very sweet, good-hearted, beautiful women who would be by your side through thick or thin. Can't tell you how many women I met there who were understated in their dress but real, natural beauties. I lucked out because my first job out of college was there.

In my experience, PA is about as far from superficial as you can get.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:28 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,110 times
I think that cities and suburbia would have a higher percentage of this. Like stupidbicyclist, I live in Ohio in what used to be a small town(over doubled in the last 15 years). I actually am saving for an early retirement to go and live where there are no keeping up with the joneses mentality type folks, downeast Maine.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:09 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
^ I did not know that being attractive was a bad thing?
I've dated a model before...and I am not unattractive (above average, but not HOT). However, she and I are good people. Attitude is really independent of beauty. I've known ugly people with horrible attitudes.

With that said, LA is a great place. It's all about where and how you meet people. If you initially meet me at a bar, you might think I'm a hipster douche (skinny jeans, tight fitted t-shirt, black rimmed glasses). However, meet me at a volunteering event or charity run...you get the idea. In LA, like most places, context dictates content a lot of times. If you are interested in meeting great people in the city, volunteer, or go to charity events. Also, if in Hollywood or Sunset, you can use it as a talking point to gauge where people are at. When I worked with autistic kids, I would mention it in conversation and see their response. If it was some sort of platitude "That's great, I love children. Let's take a shot." I would change the subject. It was a good gauge.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:27 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
So Omaha is really LA-on-the Missouri ? who knew? I guess that could explain why y'all are so full of yourselves.

If the OP hadn't mentioned family I'd say for sure strike out for Portland or just about anywhere else (except NYC and, I guess, Omaha). With the family ties look for a more congenial enclave. Best to ask in the LA forum.
Lol, you do realize you are coming off as struggling very hard to make a valid point in that post. I was simply stating there are a few d-bags in Omaha. Thats it, bud.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:41 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
^ I did not know that being attractive was a bad thing?
One can be attractive but their personality can be nauseating which rapidly makes them very unattractive.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:59 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
To the OP, check out Topanga Canyon.

IMO, it's the most laid-back, friendliest place in SoCal. It's an easy 15 minutes to Warner Center, about 20 or so to Santa Monica. Go to Froggy's to check out the local vibe - you can thank me later!

Old 05-01-2009, 06:09 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
One can be attractive but their personality can be nauseating which rapidly makes them very unattractive.
Couldn't have said it better myself! I believe the reverse holds true as well. If someone is not particularly attractive, but is a kind and beuatiful person on the inside, they appear much more stunning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.