Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 07:58 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,585,093 times

Advertisements

I think you need to go to St. Louis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,784 times
Default superficiality in socal

Ah yes, more reports of superficiality in socal. How many threads can one person read about this in one day? For starters, let's consider what the word "superficial" means.

Superficial = without depth, detail

–adjective
being at, on, or near the surface: a superficial wound.
of or pertaining to the surface: superficial measurement.
external or outward: a superficial resemblance.
concerned with or comprehending only what is on the surface or obvious: a superficial observer.
shallow; not profound or thorough: a superficial writer.
apparent rather than real.
insubstantial or insignificant: superficial improvements.

Therefore, one could say that people in california are friendly on a surface level, but really don't care about anything else underneath that. Right?

Now that we have a basic defination of the word, let's consider why that might be. For starters, California has, for the better part of the 20th century, been considered a place to start a new life, a place to achieve your dreams, a place to meet laid back, like minded people, and so on and so forth. However, as can be seen by some of these posts, that doesn't happen for some. Therefore, for those experiancing those "problems" and "resentments" with others while they live here, let's consider the problem to be one of SELFISHNESS - manifesting care and concern for ones self and ones self only.
Most people are in california to live life for themselves, relax and chill and acheive what they want. Throw in a handful of people who aren't satisfied with what they have, and we have a nice little clusterf*ck that won't be going away for quite some time. It's like this everywhere you go. Get used to it.

Now, because California has a reputation of new dreams, hopes, success, life in the fast lane, some people have become very selfish and ruthless in going after what they want, mostly because they've been taught to do so at the expense of others. And no, it's not a perfect world. It's not practical to think that everyone will just drop everything they're doing and "make things ok." So there's your problem. Get away from people like that, and you're good. If you hang around trash, that's what you're going to find. Aside from that, some people are just dumb, and some people are just crazy. Don't over analyse that - just move on and find different people to hang out with.

People are people - there will always be people out there trying to drag you down or drive you nuts. To them, you're just another person to screw over and take advantage of. The problem here is not superficiality. It's a lack of respect.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,569 times
What, the girls aren't superficial? You sound just like the guy's you bash. Ok with gross, vapid girls as long as they're hot. Hypocrite much?!

Old 03-12-2011, 01:48 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,734,114 times
Goto the midwest of deep South. You'll be enveloped with the lameness you're looking for...from the second you land.

What's ironic about this post...EVERY other big/medium city out there wishes it had the LA stereotype..."everyone is so stylish, attractive, likes martini's" etc. In the midwest...they play it up so heavily in their local publications...i.e. Indianapolis' trendiest lounge..Omaha's biggest fashion show...etc.

It's better to have the LA stereotype than Chicago or Milwaukee. Most people are fat, drink beer only at the bar, are beyond fanatical regarding sports teams - but never fashion or style...so it's ok then. LA is so big, you can find people that belong in the midwest, and in the midwest, you can sometimes find people who belong in California...although it's not common.

In the midwest, they can hate you for not supporting their sports teams, think you're a weirdo if you'd rather spend money shopping on clothes than the latest, most high-wattage, brightest, downright bad-ass BIG screen plasma TV with surround sound. Too into counting calories in the midwest? Want Crest whitestrips? Well, you're the real superficial one then. It's free to count calories and whitestrips only cost $20.

For men, it's even harder...Wanna spend money on Nautica clothes? that's great and it's very plain so that's good. Wanna spend 1/4 that amount at H&M or Zara on clothes that actually fits well and looks stylish? Well, only gays do that to so many people in the midwest. It's kind of sad how backwards the region really is. You have areas in the bigger cities that aren't like this - but for the most part, it holds true.

The LA superficiality is completely different than what you'd see in other places. It's centered around looking good and staying in shape. Everything else matters too...but in other places it's a superficiality of..how big is your SUV? Do you have an Iphone 4? Newest computer? Stuff like that.

There's also this bizarre idea (which you agree with) that everyone who is "into themselves and cares too much about looking good" automatically has the worst personality imaginable, or possibly a mental disorder to top it off. All of this has produced a reverse effect - the non-superficial become superficial, for hating the superficial, usually without even knowing them.

The truth is, most people in the midwest wouldn't be considered attractive in California so they learn to hate it. They belong in the midwest where they can still hold onto their Chuck Norris jokes for the next 20 to 30 years.

Last edited by tollfree; 03-12-2011 at 01:59 AM..

Old 03-12-2011, 05:00 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,340,629 times
Fargo ND and Sioux Falls SD ! Very dynamic economically, very safe and not superficial at all

Old 03-14-2011, 08:01 PM

639 posts, read 1,284,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anterioramadeus View Post
I currently live in California in a city about 20 miles north of LA and I just can't take it anymore! There is so much emphasis placed on what kind of car I'm driving, how big my house is, how ripped I am, or what brand of clothes I wear. I even refuse to work out at the gym now because I can't stand being around all those shallow noobs. And the worst part is I've been stuck here so long now that I can feel myself starting to become more like them and think how they think!!!

I absolutely love the southern California weather, surfing the good waves here, and the beautiful girls. But I need more character, stlye, brains, and personality in my city/friends/lovers! To complicate things, I have a good job in LA, my family all lives within an hour driving distance, and I do have a couple good friends locally. But I just can't see myself spending the rest of my life here in such a fake place!

Has anyone ever felt this way and moved to a city that was less superficial? Is San Diego any better? I would like to stay as close to my family as possible but we'll see. I'm young and single so hopefully someone can factor that into the solution as well. And don't get me wrong...I'm not against all the beautiful girls down here in SoCal...I'm just against their culture of materialism, looks, and arrogance.

Note: Yes I know I generalized in my above statement several times. Ofcourse there are some people who don't fit into my above statements but I am referring to the culture and vibe at large.
Sounds like your a gym n00b, or just looking for an excuse to not work out.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:53 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,829,722 times
I have numerous friends who are from here in New England and tried living on the west coast and came running back. In New England, there is very little superficiality. You can just be yourself. The exception, however, would be Boston and Fairfield County, CT, where keeping up with the Jones reigns supreme. But most of the year its cold weather, so its impossible to foster a culture of getting ripped and going tanning and showing it off at the beach. Of course, some do that, but most do not.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:24 AM

562 posts, read 983,050 times
Consider some midwestern mid-sized cities:

Des Moines, Iowa
Springfield, Illinois
Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
Madison, Wisconsin
Minneapolis, Minnesota

Edit: Sorry I missed the wanting to stay in SoCal bit. That might be the issue period lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.