Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 11:53 AM

395 posts, read 1,375,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I lived in Indianapolis for a time and despite a rather high crime rate and being a little uncomfortable because I am not used to being in close proximity to minorities, I really, really liked the city itself. It's easy to get around it, having been a planned city, and it has some really beautiful buildings and public areas. The climate is not severe and what is really nice is that the farms and rural areas surrounding it are very beautiful.

If I HAD to move back to a large city, it would certainly be on my list. (I have been to both St. Louis and Kansas City, which are in my home state of Missouri, and frankly, I was not impressed. Perhaps if I had lived there and gotten to know my way around I would feel differently, but it would take a lot for me to like them better than Indianapolis).

20yrsinBranson
in all of my observations, those in MO who don't like KC or STL are white people who don't feel comfortable around minorities. These are the same people who like Indianapolis (i know you lived next to minorities in Indy, but indy isn't a very minority/international friendly place from my personal experiences. and please, don't talk about black expo which is one event. i'm talking about in general and the amount of actual diversity). I am convinced that your personality dictates what kind of city you like.

KC and STL IMO blow Indy away in terms of cultural amenities and substance. But of course, if you're not aware of what "cultural" is, you will be blind to this fact and think a city like Indy is great.

I cannot stress how much I dislike Indy, but it's because "Indy" and the whole state of Indiana, stands for the opposite of what I stand for. My personality clashes (and often with people from indiana - not everyone obviously, but a lot).

So, clichely speaking, it's all a matter of preference. I would thrive more in cities like stl, chi, new orleans, kc baltimore much more than Indy, charlotte, jacksonville, columbus etc.

On a side note, I encourage other chicagoans/ north shore peopolz to expand their view of the midwest to look farther south. Often, we only "know" cities around the great lakes and fail to acknowledge cities like Cincy, or KC. They aren't lake cities, but IMO blow MIL and CLE away, in all seriousness. Plus, the weather is soooo much better. Really cool.

Last edited by chitownwarrior; 05-04-2009 at 12:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 12:00 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,786,263 times
Not to say the Midwest is horrible, but to me there are no real standouts. I'd flip a coin or spin a wheel with all the cities' names on it or something. I can't imagine having to live in the midwest. I don't mean to offend but really the cities end up all being so much alike. Only Chicago stands out and with the big city benefits of Chicago come the big city headaches as well. I'd seriously be unable to choose and would leave it to chance.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:36 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
But of course, if you're not aware of what "cultural" is, you will be blind to this fact
Or maybe, just maybe, they will *gasp* have a different opinion than yours.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:13 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Not to say the Midwest is horrible, but to me there are no real standouts. I'd flip a coin or spin a wheel with all the cities' names on it or something. I can't imagine having to live in the midwest. I don't mean to offend but really the cities end up all being so much alike. Only Chicago stands out and with the big city benefits of Chicago come the big city headaches as well. I'd seriously be unable to choose and would leave it to chance.
Eh, since the Midwest includes cities as wide-ranging as Detroit, Ann Arbor, the Twin Cities, Duluth, Cleveland, St. Louis, Omaha, Fargo, Madison and Chicago, I would say there's enough differentiation to choose one over the others depending on what you like.

Maybe you'd go for a quaint, but semi-bustling college town like Madison or Ann Arbor.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:18 PM

395 posts, read 1,375,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Or maybe, just maybe, they will *gasp* have a different opinion than yours.
Right. And opinions are normally formed based on personalities. Someone who is timid and shy and hates crowds probably won't like new york. They will probably have a negative impression of the city.

Someone who loves adventure and traveling and loves absorbing him/herself in a diverse area with history, different types people with numerous different backgrounds, walks of life, and creeds...more than likely won't like Indianapolis ... and will more than likely like Chicago.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:41 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
On a side note, I encourage other chicagoans/ north shore peopolz to expand their view of the midwest to look farther south. Often, we only "know" cities around the great lakes and fail to acknowledge cities like Cincy, or KC. They aren't lake cities, but IMO blow MIL and CLE away, in all seriousness. Plus, the weather is soooo much better. Really cool.
I think people tend to focus less on the cities that are at the edge of the Midwest region. Kansas City is at the crossroads of three different regions: Midwest, Great Plains, and Ozarks. Cincinatti is at the far southern extent of the lower Midwest and has some stronger southern influences due to its proximity to Kentucky.
Cities like Kansas City, Omaha, Des Moines, Sioux Falls, Fargo, Wichita, Lincoln, etc have absolutely nothing in common with the cities in the Great Lakes for the most part. Also, the general populace in the Great Plains states are more inclined to be influenced by states further to the west and south instead of the Midwest core and points off to the east.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:50 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I think people tend to focus less on the cities that are at the edge of the Midwest region. Kansas City is at the crossroads of three different regions: Midwest, Great Plains, and Ozarks. Cincinatti is at the far southern extent of the lower Midwest and has some stronger southern influences due to its proximity to Kentucky.
Cities like Kansas City, Omaha, Des Moines, Sioux Falls, Fargo, Wichita, Lincoln, etc have absolutely nothing in common with the cities in the Great Lakes for the most part. Also, the general populace in the Great Plains states are more inclined to be influenced by states further to the west and south instead of the Midwest core and points off to the east.
Kansas City is not anywhere close to the Ozarks. It is at least 70 miles away from the northernmost extent of the "geographic range, and technically those are only the foothills. The Northern Ozarks lack the Ozark culture for the most part. It is at the confluence of the Great Plains/Midwest...though I consider Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, and North Dakota to be the "western Midwest." As far as places in the Midwest go, since I've lived in St. Louis for a very long time, I would look at Chicago, Cincinnati, and the Twin Cities as other possible options for me. As far as Des Moines having nothing in common with the Great Lakes cities, I beg to differ. It is not part of the Great Plains. It's not a Great Lakes city either, but that's the only difference between it and Chicago as far as I'm concerned. It just feels smaller. Kansas City I just wasn't impressed with. I don't know why, it's just not the place for me.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:21 PM

33 posts, read 66,074 times
Chicago

Old 05-11-2009, 11:05 PM

10 posts, read 22,854 times
Chicago is Fantastic, Madison is great- as is Milwaukee, Minneapolis! I tend to prefer the Northern Cities as opposed to St.Louis or Indianapolis.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:22 AM

322 posts, read 800,380 times
ehhh maybe Chic or Des Moines ...i dunno

its the midwest afterall...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.