Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 02:49 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times

Advertisements

School systems have gotten more diverse across the country, but it seem like the white student population in public schools are decreasing 1-3% points every year. In Chicago, whites(non hispanics) are a small minority of the CPS, though 33% of Chicago's population are white non hispanic.

2010 CPS demographics:

Black- 45%
Hispanic- 42.1%
White- 9.1%
Asian- 3.7%

2010 Illinois school demographics

White: 52.8%(61.1% in 2000)
Hispanic- 21.1%(14.6% in 2000)
Black- 18.8%(20.9% in 2000)
Asian- 4.2%(3.3% in 2000)

Someone on here said whites typically have kids at a lower rate than blacks and hispanics, which is true. However, I think there are many white parents whom are uncomfortable sending their children to schools where minorities(particulary blacks and hispanics) are abundant. Many schools have shift demographics in such a short period that it has to be the obvious.

Here is one example

Thornton Fractional South H.S. in Lansing, IL

2010 vs. 2000 demographics

Blacks- 59.4%( 22.2% in 2000)
Whites- 24.5%(70.6% in 2000)
Hispanics- 11.8%(5.9% in 2000)
Asian- 0.8%( 0.8% in 2000)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 06:10 PM

614 posts, read 1,764,509 times
I know of a highschool thats gone from 75% white and now its nearly 60% hispanic and all the grades have dropped to crap.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:24 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Most schools in Memphis are a warzone. This kinda stuff is perfectly acceptable and normal. This was a concert for the students with good conduct:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1-w_jKeAf4

Gotta admit, the first part looked awfully fun. I guess that's the Memphis in me.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:55 PM

321 posts, read 1,125,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding Berry View Post
Any white parent who sends his kid to a white-minority school is committing child abuse. All-white public schools are bad enough. They are vile, dehumanizing meat-grinders.
Really? I'm white and every public school I ever attended was predominately black, and I turned out just fine. The 30% white "dehumanizing meat grinder" high school I attended prepared me just fine for college. University of Maryland is the only school I've ever gone to that is majority white.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:04 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,900 times
It has to do more with socioeconomic status than race. Think about it.

The NW suburbs of Chicago have high Hispanic populations in many of the high schools and they still perform very well. Homewood- Flossmoor in the south suburbs has a large black population and the school is just fine.

If you were to go to a school with a large poor white population in rural Tennessee, the learning is just as bad as if you went to an inner city school.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:33 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
It has to do more with socioeconomic status than race. Think about it.

The NW suburbs of Chicago have high Hispanic populations in many of the high schools and they still perform very well. Homewood- Flossmoor in the south suburbs has a large black population and the school is just fine.

If you were to go to a school with a large poor white population in rural Tennessee, the learning is just as bad as if you went to an inner city school.
True. I went to a semi-rural school in TN, it was half black half white though. Even though it was all-around bad education, the black kids were far more likely to graduate and go on to college than the white kids.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:40 AM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
True. I went to a semi-rural school in TN, it was half black half white though. Even though it was all-around bad education, the black kids were far more likely to graduate and go on to college than the white kids.
That is interesting, because here in NY State you can find predominately or highly Black schools, where the Black graduation rate is higher or the same as the White graduation rate within the same school. I'm not talking about bad schools either, but schools that range from a Long Island suburban SD like Malverne to Buffalo City SD magnet HS's like Emerson, DiVinci, Visual Performing Arts and McKinley that have above average graduation rates. You also have the schools where the Black student population is lower, but noticeable, but the grad rate is still higher(Rome Free Academy and Oneonta are a couple of examples). You can check it out here: https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/Home.do?year=2009 (broken link)

Old 11-30-2010, 05:09 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,922,658 times
I went to Cleveland, Lorain, and Elyria public schools at different times.

All 3 of those school districts have seen large losses in population of kids attending the public schools and corresponding number of schools in the district. This happened mainly because of population loss in the city and people have less kids on average today, but also because the school districts are bad and people send their kids to catholic or private schools, or home schooling. All 3 are rated among the worst city school districts in the state, especially Cleveland and Lorain which are the 2 worst city schools in Ohio (in cities of over 30,000 residents).

All 3 of these districts have seen large losses in White % of the schools, and gains in Black and Hispanic. Lorain and Elyria have large Mixed-race populations as well. Also, the percent of economically disadvantaged kids in the schools have increased a lot over the years, as has the poverty rate in the cities themselves. Cleveland and Lorain have poverty rates over 1/3rd (33%+), Elyria is around 23% now, very high as well.

Demographics for all 3:
Cleveland - 56,030 students, 108 schools
15% White, 70% Black, 12% Hispanic, 3% Other
84% economically disadvantaged
Lorain - 8,382 students, 16 schools
31% White, 28% Black, 30% Hispanic, 11% Other
81% economically disadvantaged
Elyria - 7,144 students, 17 schools
61% White, 22% Black, 5% Hispanic, 12% Other
59% economically disadvantaged

Cleveland had forced busing (attempt to achieve balance and fairness in the schools) from the late 70s to 1996 I believe, this caused many people to leave the district, or city all together. The district lost many schools as the population dwindled. Cleveland is also going through a complete district reconstruction plan now, where many of the main schools will close or merge, and many will be torn down and others built. Lorain also went through something similar over the last 5 years, many of the schools were demolished and new ones built in the same place or near them. The 2 high schools have merged and a new high school will soon be built. Up until 1995 Lorain had 3 public high schools and 1 catholic high school, now there is only 1 high school with 3,000 kids going to it (this is 1 high school in a city of 70,000, similar sized cities normally have 3 or more). Elyria closed it's relief High school in 1995, 4 of the 11 elementary schools have closed in the last 2 years, along with several other elementary schools and junior highs in the late 80s and 90s. Elyria is currently building it's new high school, about 3/4 of it is already completed with students attending it. The oldest portion of Elyria high (Washington building) was built in the 1800's and it was the 1st high school built west of the Appalachian mountains/Pennsylvania, the Washington building is restored (not demolished like the rest) and will be part of the new high school structure.

So despite the effort for improvement, all 3 districts continue to get worse. The cities and districts are losing population, the poverty is increasing, schools are aging, etc. There is not much funding for the schools, nearly all improvement is from grants. Lorain for example has not passed a school levy in 18 years, they have to work with the same amount of money they worked with in 1992, and the school district was already bad and in trouble at that time. In Cleveland the district reconstruction plan will be nearly as drastic as what Kansas City did (which closed literally 1/2 the schools overnight). Hopefully things will improve for these districts soon.

Last edited by BelieveInCleve; 11-30-2010 at 05:18 PM..

Old 01-26-2011, 05:52 PM

614 posts, read 1,764,509 times
From a childhood friend who went to a hispanic majority highschool he said life there was hell and wishes he could take that chapter of his life away and highschool is usually the funnest time of a persons life. He did not like that everyone was in a gang or just an a**hole to him while i went to white majority and anyone new to the school whatever race was treated equally. Because he was white all the hispanics picked on him and i really feel bad for him and think its wrong that a whole race can move to an area and destroy it.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:12 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,238 times
I went to a fairly large Catholic high school in San Francisco (about 1,500 students) that's about 70-75% white. I was the last kid in a family of four. My older sisters and brother went to public high schools but by the time I was ready they sent me there. If it hadn't been available I'm almost sure they would have sold their house and moved out of The City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.