Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 03:09 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,020,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Made for the South View Post
I didn't even know about the risk for earthquakes in South Carolina until recently. I found out about the risk in New York and Montreal through your links! I guess that finding a place with architecture built for earthquakes is more important than finding a place that isn't earthquake prone.
Well even though Ny is not know for earthquakes we have them often, well small one where people feel it a little. But we havent had a major earthquake in a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 06:02 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times
^^^ New Jersey had one a few months ago. I believe in the North Central part of the State. NYC could have one. Well, more like it will. It is only a matter of times before that happens.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:09 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,968,861 times
Is there anywhere in the US that doesn't have them?

Old 04-29-2009, 08:03 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,383 times
New York State can have earthquakes centered in the Adirondacks or in the Laurentians of Canada. There was a 5.1 in 1983, and a 5.2 in 2002. (This does not sound too big to a Californian probably, but the bedrock structure in NY is such that these are felt over a very wide area and can knock things off shelves, or damage roads close to the epicenter.)

There was a 6.0 during World War II that produced a lot of damage in the town of Massena close to the Canadian border.

Of course, earthquakes in NY do not produce fear so much as "Whee! that was COOL..."

Old 04-29-2009, 09:23 PM

5,036 posts, read 4,350,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
Is there anywhere in the US that doesn't have them?
The Gulf coast area doesn't have earthquakes very frequently, and the rare ones that occur are small. There was one earthquake a couple years ago in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico that was felt in Florida. I think that it was around magnitude 6.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:28 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaf623 View Post
The Gulf coast area doesn't have earthquakes very frequently, and the rare ones that occur are small. There was one earthquake a couple years ago in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico that was felt in Florida. I think that it was around magnitude 6.
Houston has over 300 active faults though.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:05 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,968,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Houston has over 300 active faults though.
SERIOUSLY?!! OMG...give me a hurricane anyday...you can plan for those and RUN!

Old 04-29-2009, 10:51 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaf623 View Post
Exactly. Florida rarely gets earthquakes. All other areas of the country are susceptible to quakes. Southern California, coastal central and northern California, western Arizona, Nevada, portions of Washington, and Alaska having some of the highest risk.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:55 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
SERIOUSLY?!! OMG...give me a hurricane anyday...you can plan for those and RUN!
Just because faults are active, doesn't mean that they're capable of producing a large earthquake. Most earthquakes on Earth don't cause any damage.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:27 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Made for the South View Post
Do you live in an earthquake prone area? If so, does the threat of earthquakes mean anything to you? If not, would you mind living in one?

I really would like to move to the Puget Sound area, but the threat of earthquakes has the potential of being a deal breaker. I'll have to sort out my priorities and get different perspectives before I make a decision. However, I assume that being in a 7.0 earthquake in parts of Seattle would have less of an effect on the number and severity of casualties than a 7.0 in Memphis because of the architecture and sense of awareness.
I just felt an earthquake about a month ago. I was having a hard time falling asleep at about 2 AM and then BAM! It felt like my bed came alive and was jumping for maybe 15-20 seconds. It was just a little guy though... 4.1. I don't live near a major fault though and have never felt a larger earthquake. But even so, they don't scare me all that much.

It's really not too big of a deal. As long as you're not in an unreinforced masonry building (we have wood houses rather than brick for a good reason... thank goodness for the former timber industry here), or not on the Alaskan Viaduct in Seattle, or not on or underneath some big, OLD bridge/overpass then you should be fine.

Plus earthquakes don't happen all that often. "The Big One" happens once every 300-500 years. The 6.0s and 7.0s only a little more often. Hurricanes and tornadoes happen EVERY SINGLE freaking year. Multiple times even. That would be harder to live with in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.