U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 01:10 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,882,318 times

Advertisements

They are those who are:
1. White.
2. Of Anglo-Saxon heritage.
3. Belong to any of various Protestant denominations.

Glad I could be of help...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 01:15 PM

481 posts, read 1,716,900 times
I just had to laugh at this Google ads which are showing up in this thread, "Terminix Wasp Control" and "Get Rid of Wasps"

Last edited by Haver; 04-29-2009 at 02:08 PM..

Old 04-29-2009, 03:28 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,785,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
They are those who are:
1. White.
2. Of Anglo-Saxon heritage.
3. Belong to any of various Protestant denominations.

Glad I could be of help...
That's way too broad. I always hear it associated with wealthy people, and they're usually Mainline Protestant rather than Evangelical.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:44 PM

7,297 posts, read 14,340,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
That's way too broad. I always hear it associated with wealthy people, and they're usually Mainline Protestant rather than Evangelical.
You're arguing denotation vs connotation. The denotation is just what the poster you quoted said. The connotation tends to refer to those who are somewhat more privilaged and educated, but is often more broadly applied to anyone who's white, doesn't appear "ethnic" in any way (e.g. darker skin, hair, etc.) and isn't a stereotypical hillbilly. (Though I've heard of the NASCAR crowd referred to as WASPs, too, so it depends on who you ask.)

The connotation of this particular term is pretty nebulous.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
You're arguing denotation vs connotation. The denotation is just what the poster you quoted said. The connotation tends to refer to those who are somewhat more privilaged and educated, but is often more broadly applied to anyone who's white, doesn't appear "ethnic" in any way (e.g. darker skin, hair, etc.) and isn't a stereotypical hillbilly. (Though I've heard of the NASCAR crowd referred to as WASPs, too, so it depends on who you ask.)

The connotation of this particular term is pretty nebulous.
Well if it's that broad then it really just includes the W and nothing else because you can't tell any of those things on a person except for white. There are Irish people that look just like Anglo-Saxons. And you usually can't look at somebody and tell what religion they are.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:58 PM

681 posts, read 2,880,788 times

This man is a WASP. He is the best example I can think of. White, old money, Episcopalian, north easterner, can trace his ancestry back to Plymouth Colony.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:51 PM

7,297 posts, read 14,340,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Well if it's that broad then it really just includes the W and nothing else because you can't tell any of those things on a person except for white. There are Irish people that look just like Anglo-Saxons. And you usually can't look at somebody and tell what religion they are.
Yes. That's true. Then again, for the vast majority of those with Irish, German, French, or other Western European heritage, their culture has become such a minor part of their lives, it hardly manages to be a part of their identity.

Furthermore, using English v. Irish or Protestantism v. Catholicism as a cultural indicator isn't nearly as clear-cut a process as it used to be. Now that I think about it, for most people in most of the country, the term WASP itself is pretty much moot.

That's homogenization for you.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:03 PM

90,377 posts, read 111,451,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
or even Non-Hispanic Euro Americans (incl Catholics)
I believe this is what Anglo in Socal refers to
That is what "Anglo" means in Colorado as well.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Yes. That's true. Then again, for the vast majority of those with Irish, German, French, or other Western European heritage, their culture has become such a minor part of their lives, it hardly manages to be a part of their identity.

Furthermore, using English v. Irish or Protestantism v. Catholicism as a cultural indicator isn't nearly as clear-cut a process as it used to be. Now that I think about it, for most people in most of the country, the term WASP itself is pretty much moot.

That's homogenization for you.
Yeah, the lines are really blurred now. There's an elite country club in Memphis that used to not let Catholics join, but now I know many Catholics that are members. They're basically apart of that "WASP culture" or what's left of it. A lot of WASPs send their kids to Catholic schools here. A lot of Jewish families and some Catholics send their kids to the non-sectarian "WASP schools." Those 3 groups, the white Catholics, the WASPs, and the Jews are very much intertwined in East Memphis.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:44 PM

681 posts, read 1,943,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That is what "Anglo" means in Colorado as well.
yeah I think Anglo is used in places with a large%age of Hispanics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.