U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 12:28 PM

4,268 posts, read 10,647,304 times

Advertisements

In eastern PA, those who are not Amish are "English".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 02:34 PM

505 posts, read 1,295,113 times
I don't think that the term can really be applied to people these days. Maybe very very few, but everyone has such mixed ancestry and the WASP way of life has disappeared so much. I think people just like to hold onto it, but 99% of the people who claim to be WASPs really aren't.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:49 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,784,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
I don't think that the term can really be applied to people these days. Maybe very very few, but everyone has such mixed ancestry and the WASP way of life has disappeared so much. I think people just like to hold onto it, but 99% of the people who claim to be WASPs really aren't.
Maybe their way of life has disappeared where you live, but here in the South, they are still very visible. If I ever want to see a lot of WASPs in one place, all I have to do is drive past 2nd Presbyterian church on Sunday when church is getting out. There's a lot of them and their culture is still alive.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:53 PM

505 posts, read 1,295,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Maybe their way of life has disappeared where you live, but here in the South, they are still very visible. If I ever want to see a lot of WASPs in one place, all I have to do is drive past 2nd Presbyterian church on Sunday when church is getting out. There's a lot of them and their culture is still alive.
While I have never been to the South, I think that most people are probably imitating WASP culture and aren't truly WASPs themselves. That seems to be the general rule. Here in Massachusetts, which has traditionally been a WASP stronghold, there are plenty of preppies, but I would be hard pressed to find someone who did not have mixed ancestry and is still a Protestant with money. Those people are just extremely hard to come by.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:48 AM

142 posts, read 468,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
You're arguing denotation vs connotation. The denotation is just what the poster you quoted said. The connotation tends to refer to those who are somewhat more privilaged and educated, but is often more broadly applied to anyone who's white, doesn't appear "ethnic" in any way (e.g. darker skin, hair, etc.) and isn't a stereotypical hillbilly. (Though I've heard of the NASCAR crowd referred to as WASPs, too, so it depends on who you ask.)

The connotation of this particular term is pretty nebulous.
True. A person can be white, Anglo-Saxon in ancestry, and Protestant and not be a WASP. Sociologist E. Digby Baltzell came up with the term as a convenient acronym in his 1964 book The Protestant Establishment.

Last edited by arrow_keys; 05-01-2009 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-01-2009, 11:50 AM

2,743 posts, read 3,806,111 times
IMO the term is more cultural rather than ethnic or religous. The exact definition has lost some meaning since in more rescent years the culture has become more inclusive because many Catholics, Jews, and people of all racial backgrounds are culturally very WASPy.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 05-01-2009 at 12:13 PM..

Old 05-01-2009, 11:57 AM

17,731 posts, read 21,010,960 times
1."non-ethnic"?

Everybody is ethnic just like everyone has an accent. If you describe someone as 'non-ethnic', you are either of the same ethnicity (thus blind to it), or you are a cultural chauvanist.

2."The Scots-Irish are Celtic."

The Scots-Irish are anglophone protestants. Having escaped most of the Norman-French influence felt in Southern England, one could argue they are more Anglo-Saxon than the English. Also, They are mainly Presbyterian with a lot of converts to Baptist in the American South.

3."WASPs are conservative and religious."

Not, really. The people to whom the term is generally applied are usually mainline protestants and socially liberal and residents of the liberal strongholds of the Northeast, Upper Midwest, and West Coast cities and suburbs. A lily-white descendant of Oliver Cromwell who dances with snakes in a trailer-hauled church in the Appalachins may be white, Anglo-Saxon in heritage and a protestant, but he ain't a 'WASP'.

FUN FACT: 'WASP' actually stands for: We Are Satan's People!

ABQConvict

Old 05-01-2009, 12:57 PM

10,629 posts, read 24,926,169 times
By "non-ethnic," at least in my case, I meant someone who doesn't relate to any particular ethnic identity. The people who consider themselves just "American" if you ask them. A person wearing a "kiss me, I'm Norwegian" apron (or Polish, or Italian, or German, or whatever), for example, would be "ethnic" through self-identification. (and I do think you have to be white to be a true WASP, just by definition.)

I agree, though, that WASPs are not conservative or particularly religious.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:59 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,784,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
By "non-ethnic," at least in my case, I meant someone who doesn't relate to any particular ethnic identity. The people who consider themselves just "American" if you ask them. A person wearing a "kiss me, I'm Norwegian" apron (or Polish, or Italian, or German, or whatever), for example, would be "ethnic" through self-identification. (and I do think you have to be white to be a true WASP, just by definition.)

I agree, though, that WASPs are not conservative or particularly religious.
Yeah even in small Southern towns, the wealthiest families are usually the most liberal and do not attend the same church as the majority of the town's residents. Where my dad grew up in Oklahoma, it was the Methodist church that had all the wealthy people, while the majority of the town went to Baptist, Pentecostal, or Church of Christ. In my town in TN, the Methodist church is where the wealthier families went, and it was probably the most liberal church in town.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:28 PM

907 posts, read 693,178 times
One has to be of either English, Scottish, or Scandanavian descent. And protestant. And culturally "monied" that is having old money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.