U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 06:31 PM

2,954 posts, read 7,302,975 times

Advertisements

Many of the "wasps" I have had the pleasure or sometimes displeasure to know are the high society with old money and sometimes mega money. They are definately a breed apart from the "noveau riche". Classy (but not always), snobby (again not always), often socially liberal and sometimes just plain liberal. Episcopalian or Catholic (I guess that kills the wasp part of the name) for the most part. Presbyterians to me are more middle class.

Many that I have known are heavily involved in the arts and live to travel. But again there is a family trust that outsiders will not know about. Many drive ordinary cars and live in older but fine homes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 03:02 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,252,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Basically wealthy, non-ethnic white people who come from old-money. As for the religion part, it's less important these days, but they tend to be Mainline Protestants: (Episcopalian & Presbyterian) I think the W is really the only letter that applies these days. Most people will label any wealthy white person as a WASP regardless if they have the ASP characteristics.

Here in Memphis WASPs are still very visible. They basically run the whole East side of Memphis, along with Catholics & Jews (both have very WASPy characteristics as well). They send their kids to private, single-sex schools that cost $15,000+ in tuition. The more conservative families are very active in the Presbyterian church, while the more liberal families attend the Episcopal church. Overall, they're socially moderate. They're not very Southern to me, despite having deep Southern roots.
Yep. Rich, well-educated non-ethnic white people, with lots of connections.

A lot of people who aren't white and/or Protestant, when they became wealthy, well-educated, and get into positions of power, they can be called "honorary WASPS."

San Francisco was once a WASP bastion, though their influence has declined.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:06 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,252,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Many of the "wasps" I have had the pleasure or sometimes displeasure to know are the high society with old money and sometimes mega money. They are definately a breed apart from the "noveau riche". Classy (but not always), snobby (again not always), often socially liberal and sometimes just plain liberal. Episcopalian or Catholic (I guess that kills the wasp part of the name) for the most part. Presbyterians to me are more middle class.

Many that I have known are heavily involved in the arts and live to travel. But again there is a family trust that outsiders will not know about. Many drive ordinary cars and live in older but fine homes.

Generally true, however there have historically been many wealthy, well-educated, and powerful Presbyterians in America. They were most likely Scottish in origin, since many Scots came over to the colonies.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 4,996 times
Default Protestant hierarchy

There used to be an old pre-WW2 saying which nicely summed up the social order of the major Protestant denominations in America: "An Episcopalian is a Presbyterian with a trust fund, a Presbyterian is a Methodist with a college education, a Methodist is a Baptist with shoes."

Don't know how the other prods (Lutherans, etc.) ranked in this caste system. Catholics were obviously excluded, as were other outsiders (Jews, Eastern Orthodox). Muslims and Hindus were miniscule in number throughout the country when this saying was applicable.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:21 PM

4,150 posts, read 5,960,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow_keys View Post
The largest Presbyterian denomination in the U.S. - The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) is, by most standards, liberal. By that I mean there are many open and affirming congregations (i.e. congregations that let gay people be gay), there is an ongoing struggle over whether to ordain openly gay people, women are ordained as a matter of common practice and the social gospel is still alive and well. At least one of the Presbyterians you mention (Kennedy) is of the Presbyterian Church in America which is very conservative. But that denomination is not considered mainline and is not what most people think of when they say or hear "Presbyterian."

If you take into account all the smaller presbyterian-type denominations, then the liberalness of that church label gets watered down some. But the PCUSA is by far the largest of the presbyterian denominations.

Rev. Billy Graham (of Scottish descent) was originally born into a Presbyterian family - but it was not the mainstream denomination, but a smaller sect.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:39 AM

2 posts, read 4,049 times
We tend to think all wasp have money. Thats what they are usually associated with but that is far from always the truth. You have wasp living in the back woods of georgia and west virginia who are poor but come from english stockIt is this grosd misconception to always associate the term wasp with money or the northest ruling establishment that has dominated much of america's politics in the past and still do but with much less influence as they once did. Wasp are just basically whites pf english protestant stock if you really want to be truly definitive to the term. Irrespective of money.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:14 PM

7 posts, read 13,722 times
Saxons are not celtic. I don't know where anyone got that from.

And Don't saxons come from Germany?

Old 01-28-2015, 01:15 PM

4,922 posts, read 5,636,037 times
Basically everyone at the Ivy League colleges that are not Jewish or Asian.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:02 PM

7 posts, read 13,722 times
I don't know a ton about the history of this stuff but aren't saxons basically germans? I mean there's a region in germany named saxon.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:52 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,495,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Basically wealthy, non-ethnic white people who come from old-money.
What is a non-ethnic white person? Doesn't everybody have an ethnicity of some sort?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.