U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 04:20 PM

2,486 posts, read 4,582,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzerochill098 View Post
I don't know a ton about the history of this stuff but aren't saxons basically germans? I mean there's a region in germany named saxon.
Yes, the Saxons and the Angles were Germanic tribes who migrated to the island of Great Britain and conquered or displaced the Romanized Celtic inhabitants. There aren't any Angles left in their original homeland but the Saxons were a much larger tribe and plenty of them stayed behind on the continent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 04:48 PM

390 posts, read 714,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
What is a non-ethnic white person? Doesn't everybody have an ethnicity of some sort?
I think he meant people of British ancestry who just consider themselves American and nothing else. Their assimilated quickly into the American society and left their home culture behind. They didn't create ethnic neighborhoods like Germans, Irish, Italians or Polish.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:49 PM

7 posts, read 13,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
I think he meant people of British ancestry who just consider themselves American and nothing else. Their assimilated quickly into the American society and left their home culture behind. They didn't create ethnic neighborhoods like Germans, Irish, Italians or Polish.
Maine and Alabama have vastly different cultures, and politics. I guess it depends on what you mean as "american." Which can't be defined just by ancestry.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:59 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,643,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haver View Post
I think a lot of it is constrained to English-ancestry regions. In Minneapolis there's never been any discussion about it (on a personal/local talk radio/blogs) basis. It just seems to be something that belongs to another part of the country. There is also an element of elitism to that which is violently at odds with our native populism and Scandinavian leveling instinct.
It is a phenomenon of New England and to a lesser extent Chicago.

Doubt me? Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton were both white Protestants of largely British extraction, and yet none would consider them WASPs because they're Southerners. George W. Bush on the other hand only fails to me the WASP test if one considers his choice to adopt a culture foreign to his father, a definite WASP. JFK was to a large extent America's introduction to Catholicism as an acceptable practice, but the Kennedys themselves had been the prototypical WASP family ever since JFK's grandfather went straight after making a fortune as a bootlegger,

Ultimately, it is sort of a fast and loose definition of a culture as to some extent white Catholics and Jews from The Northeast could penetrate into WASP society to an extent someone from the Plains or South never could. An Ivy League education, the right hobbies and friends, and certain world views make a person a WASP far more than being white, Anglo-Saxon, or Protestant ever could.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:22 AM
Status: "I'm not young enough to know everything." (set 21 days ago)

58,926 posts, read 47,592,133 times
My ancestry is 100 percent European (English, Scottish, French, and German) but nearly every ancestor we can trace has been in America since the late 1600s - early 1700s. We're predominately Protestant. I'm the whitest person I know. And yet in the past two generations, our family has gone from totally WASP to amazingly diverse (AA, Korean, Czech, Panamanian, Italian and still counting). Fun, fun, fun - even if our ancestors are rolling in their graves.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:26 PM

1,149 posts, read 913,646 times
The over-riding DNA of Britain and even Eastern England, ( Norfolk, Essex, Suffolk ect) has recently been found to be Brythonic,( Same as Wales, Brittany, Scotland ,Eire). I think between 70-83%, and even higher into Wales and the west of England. There was little Jute, Norman, even Viking blood, more Saxon in Kent and South East England, but even that came back at 70%. I guess the local British population ( pre-Roman), didn`t up sticks and go to Wales and Cornwall but stayed. ( Boudica came from what is now Norfolk). The invaders didn't bring the women, but named the lands and added bits to the language. The Lake District in Cumbria has names ` Beck` Germanic for stream and a mountain called Blencathra,a Brythonic name. The Thames is alsoan ancient tBrythonic name, as is London and Kent.
Celtic blood is actually from the continent, Belgians, Germans have bundles of it, not so much the British. I think, as an outsider, if this guy who coined the term in 1964, was probably referring to, I`m being careful here, a club that barred, Italians, African Americans, Jewish ect:
I think Germans, Dutch ( all would have intermarried with British blood by 1964,I guess). The Irish would also been in that club as they became dominant in politics and are Northern European. If there is no pure Anglo-Saxon populace in Britain, ever, I cant see how the US could have one. So Anglo-Saxon does not mean English, it is so much more complicated than that.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:38 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,068,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzerochill098 View Post
I don't know a ton about the history of this stuff but aren't saxons basically germans? I mean there's a region in germany named saxon.
there was also an 80's hair metal band named saxon.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
Well they didn't create ethnic neighborhoods, cos they were the first ones here and created the country.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
It is a phenomenon of New England and to a lesser extent Chicago.

Doubt me? Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton were both white Protestants of largely British extraction, and yet none would consider them WASPs because they're Southerners. George W. Bush on the other hand only fails to me the WASP test if one considers his choice to adopt a culture foreign to his father, a definite WASP. JFK was to a large extent America's introduction to Catholicism as an acceptable practice, but the Kennedys themselves had been the prototypical WASP family ever since JFK's grandfather went straight after making a fortune as a bootlegger,

Ultimately, it is sort of a fast and loose definition of a culture as to some extent white Catholics and Jews from The Northeast could penetrate into WASP society to an extent someone from the Plains or South never could. An Ivy League education, the right hobbies and friends, and certain world views make a person a WASP far more than being white, Anglo-Saxon, or Protestant ever could.
This term has been misused for decades now.

If you are not of 100% Anglo-Saxon heritage and protestant religion, you are NOT a WASP. You don't have to be wealthy to be a WASP. Just the other 2 requirements. And yes, there are many WASPS in the south, it's WASP central.

Kennedy was not a WASP.. he was a wealthy Irish Catholic American.

Just because Vanilla Ice raps doesn't not make him BLACK.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:52 PM

8,013 posts, read 10,423,523 times
Everywhere but you should know that already. All white americans are white until they tell you their life story.

Google it or look up a census tract, if that makes you feel better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.