U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 03:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,079 posts, read 47,693,288 times

Advertisements

The definition is in the name. Anglo-Saxon = of English or at least British ancestry
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 08:13 AM

29,995 posts, read 29,921,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The definition is in the name. Anglo-Saxon = of English or at least British ancestry
Though the Wiki definition is more inclusive than that.

Quote:
The term WASP has many meanings. In sociology it reflects that segment of the U.S. population that founded the nation and traced their heritages to...Northwestern Europe. The term...has become more inclusive. To many people, WASP now includes most 'white' people who are not ... members of any minority group.
White Anglo-Saxon Protestant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-15-2015, 08:23 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,079,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Though the Wiki definition is more inclusive than that.

White Anglo-Saxon Protestant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is false. I am 3rd generation Polish-German heritage originally of Catholic faith, and our community which lived for generations in Yorkville upper east side Manhattan have never considered ourselves WASPs. We have also never been considered WASPs either, Wiki isn't very accurate of the realities of the world. I have since converted to Protestantism and attend local services with WASPs and non-WASPs but the distinctions are clear within that community.

Recently, in past 10 years, I've observed movements, especially amongst working class ethnic white groups to aggregate "whites" into a singular heritage, but this is totally bs.. ie Stormfront.com which tries to propaganda a singular white identity and generalize the WASP term. That simply does not exist.. I'm 3rd gen and still have different cultural differences from other whites, ie Irish, Scots, Anglos.. and by genetics, I have no anglo blood. I've experienced alot of different "white" culture in NYC, and believe me, an Irish Christmas is very different from an Episcopalian one.

To generalize all whites as WASPs would be an analogy like, saying Koreans, Japanese and Chinese are all Chinese.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:28 AM

Um, okay.

That's not Wiki's definition. Wiki was quoting two sociologists.

It's not clear an Irish Catholic would be considered a WASP per their definition. I'm inclined to say no. A German-American, particularly one of protestant background, probably would.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Um, okay.

That's not Wikis definition. Wiki was quoting two sociologists.

It's not clear an Irish Catholic would be considered a WASP per their definition. I'm inclined to say no. A German-American, particularly one of protestant background, probably would.
Well I'm German-American and we do not consider ourselves WASPs.. to a non-white minority, we may be perceived as such. I don't consider myself WASP because I'm not of Anglo Saxon heritage. It's that simple.. If you were English, and I called you Italian, it'd be inaccurate. You could generalize people in Europe as European, but not all inhabitants as English for example.

I believe the generalizing the term WASP only applies from perspective of non-white minorities who consider all whites the same. Within the aggregate white culture, there are definitely distinctions and groups who guard them with extreme pride.

My grandfather used to tell me about Lou Gehrig, a famous Yankee star who was of 1st gen German heritage. Interestingly, we Germans in the 30's and 40's were considered immigrant minorities from the perspective of the WASPs.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:41 AM

Don't you think it's a bit difficult to speak for all 46,173,091 people who reported German as their ancestry? It is the most common ancestry in the U.S., and for all intents and purposes, is as plain vanilla as you can get (aside from English perhaps).

And yes, from a minority perspective, it is practically all the same. Italians and Jews stand out. Irish communities stand out, not so much individuals. Germans? No. I can't speak on how people in 1929 NYC viewed Germans.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Don't you think it's a bit difficult to speak for all 46,173,091 people who reported German as their ancestry? It is the most common ancestry in the U.S., and for all intents and purposes, is as plain vanilla as you can get (aside from English perhaps).

And yes, from a minority perspective, it is practically all the same. Italians and Jews stand out. Irish communities stand out, not so much individuals. Germans? No. I can't speak on how people in 1929 NYC viewed Germans.
First of all, all these "Germans" in America can trace roots further to other ethnicities. Let me explain:

There were three different waves of German immigration and classes of Germans who arrived to America. The ones you speak of in the 1800's were during the shift from agrarian to industrial era, especially in the midwest when the US imported lots of the poverty class from Germany, mostly of slavic heritage in East Germany. There were and are still large contingents of German citizens who are considered of a different heritage in Germany (Polish, Slavic, Hungarian, etc) but have Germany citizenship. We all know about this in our history of the Third Reich and ethnic cleansing. This was the core immigration group to the United States from Germany in the 1800's who were alot of the cheaper labor above the African slave labor that existed then. These German immigrants worked in textiles, factories, steel mines, in the midwest.

Next, there was another wave of Germans in the early 1900's, along with the other ethnic white groups such as the Italians and Irish into the 1920's, still mostly of poverty class and escaping the continent for various reasons such as persecution.. The German citizens who left were those persecuted by the rising Nazi party, in fear of persecution of their non-pure German heritage.

My family arrived in the 1940's after WWII, along with the "duetscher Adel", which is the educated class, the likes of Wernher von Braun the father of modern rocket technology along with thousands of scientists and the upper class after the war. Our heritage is very different from those "Germans" who arrived in boats in the 19th and early 20th century.

Within the history of German culture, there were many different ethnicities which existed, it was called Prussia at one point. The rise of the Nazi party was an attempt to ethnically cleanse the nation to it's original state.

Last edited by ControlJohnsons; 04-15-2015 at 09:37 AM..

Old 04-15-2015, 09:11 AM

729 posts, read 806,372 times
I always assumed WASP included but was not limited to:

Quakers, Puritans, Boston Brahmin, Southern Aristocracy, Evangelical Christians (they're the lower & middle class), etc.

Irish, Italians, Greeks, and Spanish (Spain) folks typically aren't WASP because they aren't Anglo or Protestant (Catholic, Orthodox).

However if a White person is a Protestant they can sometimes be considered WASP. I live in a predominately White Area but it isn't predominately WASP.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:53 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,756,405 times
For me:
  • You obviously have to be white.
  • You absolutely have to be Protestant.
  • You absolutely have to carry yourself with a reserved air of "high class" (LL Bean and Orvis meets Patagonia).
  • Old money
  • Educated
  • Strong work ethic----that means if you're a gardener, your garden is absolutely meticulous from your constant care.
  • You don't necessarily have to be of English descent (which multi-generational American really is nowadays?), but it helps if you have an English sounding name......obvious Eastern Euro names seem out of place.
  • The last great, stereotypical WASP's are mostly in the Northeast---places like Boston, NH, CT, and parts of NYC. I believe The Country Club near Boston famously won't admit any Kennedy because of their religion---is the epitome of a WASP bastion.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
For me:
  • You obviously have to be white.
  • You absolutely have to be Protestant.
  • You absolutely have to carry yourself with a reserved air of "high class" (LL Bean and Orvis meets Patagonia).
  • Old money
  • Educated
  • Strong work ethic----that means if you're a gardener, your garden is absolutely meticulous from your constant care.
  • You don't necessarily have to be of English descent (which multi-generational American really is nowadays?), but it helps if you have an English sounding name......obvious Eastern Euro names seem out of place.
that's stereotypical upper class WASP.
however, if you live in south carolina, in a shed and u are of anglo saxon heritage, white and protestant you are still a WASP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.