Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 08:17 AM

7 posts, read 63,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creighgordon View Post
A lot of roads that look straight, like I-80 across Nebraska, are pretty straight but have subtle curves. I've never driven the stretch across Bonneville Salt Flats. US Hwy 54 from Logan to Liberal isn't even close to straight.
I see we share the same absolute, non-compromising definition of the phrase "straight road".

Merrium-Webster defines straight as " free from curves, bends, angles, or irregularities."

I mean, you can start allowing any old road that has a few bends and curves, but is "pretty" or "mostly" straight into this elite group. But before you know it, every road will think it can join.

(Ya gotta have some standards, ya know?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 09:57 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,036 times
How long do these roads get if you smoke a joint before heading out?

Old 10-16-2011, 12:30 PM

7 posts, read 63,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
How long do these roads get if you smoke a joint before heading out?
Depends on the quality of what you're smoking:

If it's real good stuff, it'll be a quick trip: you'll either be crashed in a ditch, or busted and sleeping it off in jail.

Not so good, it'll take forever: you'll be stopping every few miles to restock your stash of munchies.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:39 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
There is a long running active thread on the Travel forum about the most desolate highways in the nation that may be of interest. Long straightest is not the same as most desolate, but the two are certainly related, in fact, some stretches have been mentioned on both threads. Am quite fond of driving these types of roads and enjoy the isolation and remoteness. Top pick is still 93 from Twin Falls, Id to Las Vegas. Liked the relatively short trip on 80 from I-15 to Wendover the one time I drove it. The highlight was spotting a small herd of pronghorn close to the highway.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:22 AM

13 posts, read 21,437 times
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
There's a segment of the Pennsylvania Turnpike between Blue Mountain and Carlisle that's about 12 miles long with no curves.
To have a section of road run through the Appalachians and be anywhere near straight for any distance at all is no mean feat!

Actually this stretch of highway is in the valley between Blue Mtn. and South Mtn. It is certainly hilly but not going through any mountaineous terrain.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:36 AM

13 posts, read 21,437 times
stlouisan
Not a member
befriend
Also, from about Indianapolis to Breezewood, Pennsylavania, Interstate 70 runs straight for well over 200 miles

Not even close; I-70 doesn't even begin to be very straight until W. of Zanesville OH, a good 150 miles from Breezewood.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:43 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,167,859 times
For the Upper Midwest, the most infamous is the "Seney Stretch" in Upper Michigan. "Michigan's most boring route," 25 miles (40 km) of "straight-as-an-arrow highway" on "one of the longest stretches of curveless highway east of the Mississippi." I've been on it many times, and there isn't a single wiggle in the road, which also never rises or falls. This contrasts mightily from the usual beauty in the Upper Peninsula. And it truly does seem like an hour whenever you have to travel it. At least there are trees, I guess.

M-28 (Michigan highway) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-21-2014, 12:50 PM

275 posts, read 455,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Going west from St. Louis, Interstate 70 runs almost perfectly straight starting from about Wentzville almost all the way to the middle of Kansas. Also, from about Indianapolis to Breezewood, Pennsylavania, Interstate 70 runs straight for well over 200 miles. Interstate 80 from Omaha to New York is very straight given how far apart those two are. As far as straight transcontinental interstates go, the two straightest IMO would have to be I-70 and I-40. I-80 would be the straightest except it connects San Francisco to Salt Lake City, which in terms of latitude is far from a straight line. San Francisco in terms of latitude is roughly almost 300 miles south of Salt Lake City.
I'd have to say this is incorrect. I-70 "seems" straight quite a bit but it has enough minor deviations.

In addition, I-70 curves in and around Columbus a bit. It makes for more interesting driving than usual and makes for some good views of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.