U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 08:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,435 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am currently living in the high dessert of California and want to leave before my eyeballs melt away! I am originally from Michigan and I want to go back to that type of atmosphere again. I am considering [not in any particular order] Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, and Tennessee. Any ideas to help narrow it down would be helpful!

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2006, 09:27 PM

14 posts, read 44,961 times
Default Don't like the heat?

If you don't love the beautiful Mojave Desert and you can deal with freezing rain, snow drifts that last for months and tempratures at 21 below zero, then you'll love Indiana or Michigan.

My family live there and I miss them dearly, but 21 below zero is just too crazy for me.

To get an example of Indiana weather, stick your head in your freezer...that's just a little bit warmer than an Indiana winter.

To experience the Indiana summer, stick your head in your oven, then add 99% humidity to it.

If you don't freeze to death there in the winter, the humidity of the summer will surely kill you.

Best of luck to you.

R.H. aka "Bluesstringer"

Old 07-01-2006, 09:38 PM

138 posts, read 742,648 times
Default Tell us a little more ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrbird
Hello, I am currently living in the high dessert of California and want to leave before my eyeballs melt away! I am originally from Michigan and I want to go back to that type of atmosphere again. I am considering [not in any particular order] Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, and Tennessee. Any ideas to help narrow it down would be helpful!

Thanks!
Do you like a city or a rural setting? What type of employment do you do? Do you still have family in Mich that you want to be close to? What type of $$ do you intend to spend on a house - or do you plan to rent? etc. etc.

Old 07-01-2006, 10:23 PM

I can go for either rural, or city. I am an electrician with a bachelors in Aviation Management. I am mechanically inclined and looking for anything to support my family for the moment. I have family in MI, but that is not a major decision maker. My house in MI was $126,000. Can’t even buy a doghouse in CA for that! We will be renting first with the hope of buying a house in the future. Would it be possible to get a house for less than $200,000?

Thanks for any info!!

Old 07-01-2006, 10:36 PM

Hey I like the winters in Mojave, the 105-degree heat is not much of a problem either. But the searing sunlight that singes my retinas everyday is getting a little bothersome. Not to mention that my skin is turning to jerky… It’s easier to stay warm than it is to cool off… I lived in MI and CO most of my life, so I think my body needs a little refrigerator cold now and then… Thanks for your input!

Old 07-01-2006, 10:48 PM

138 posts, read 742,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrbird
I can go for either rural, or city. I am an electrician with a bachelors in Aviation Management. I am mechanically inclined and looking for anything to support my family for the moment. I have family in MI, but that is not a major decision maker. My house in MI was $126,000. Can’t even buy a doghouse in CA for that! We will be renting first with the hope of buying a house in the future. Would it be possible to get a house for less than $200,000?

Thanks for any info!!
I'm partial to Ohio since I grew up there. Columbus is nice but if you want to be away from Ohio State fanatics (being from Mich), you may want to try Cincinnati. Either area has relatively cheap housing and a lot of entertainment options.

I'll get back to you tomorrow with more info - off to bed now (church in the morning).

- Matt

Old 07-17-2006, 10:56 PM

7 posts, read 20,900 times
I would personally say Ohio. I'm from the Cleveland area, so I think it is amazing. Depending how close you are to Lake Erie, you will get snow. A lot of it. I suppose it is semi-cheap.
But you face the challenge of utter boredom.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:26 AM

262 posts, read 1,956,107 times
Post some ideas

East Tennessee would be my 1st choice - you'll still get the 4 seasons but no sweltering heat, you can get a nice house for under $200K, and since both Knoxville and Asheville, NC are college towns with decent populations there are respectable job possibilities. The Smoky Mountains are beautiful and the people are friendly.

Second choice - in Ohio, go for the Cleveland area - the suburbs of Hudson and Solon are very nice, but probably more expensive than you're looking for in terms of home prices. Maybe go just a little farther out of the city? Cleveland isn't the most exciting but certainly more culture than Columbus or Toledo. Closer to Kentucky, Cincinnati is safer and cleaner and there are still some nice burbs.

Good luck!

Old 07-31-2006, 08:33 PM

35 posts, read 216,331 times
I know what mean about that searing heat and sunshine melting your eyeballs. lol. I live near the So. Calif. desert area myself. I also am originally from Michigan and would like to move somewhere less expensive with milder summers and cooler winters and more greeness. Michigan is beautiful but I cannot handle those winters. I don't mind a light dusting that melts the same day but thats about it. Wish I knew where my dream city was.

Old 08-15-2006, 05:44 PM

27 posts, read 148,583 times
Check out Grand Rapids MI-Lakeshore area.......wonderful Spring...summer and fall....Cold in WINTER....But bearable.....Lot of things to do all year round....!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.