Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 09:35 PM

427 posts, read 367,672 times

Advertisements

Interstate 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 10:10 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
Go here for the current snowfall coverage in southern Canada and the lower 48 of the United States.

Intellicast - Snow Cover in United States

As you can see. The only places with snow left are in the Cascade/Coast ranges of Washington/BC and oregon, and the Northern rockies of the western states.

Additionally there is a small spine going down the Sierra Nevada range into California.

I would say its a pretty good bet that this is where the majority of snow is most consistent in the continental U.S. and Canada. Theres probably snow on the ground in many of these spots 9-10 months out of the year.

Map below shows the places with the highest percentage of a white christmas. Areas marked in white are a good bet =)
Is this updated? I thought Minneapolis' chances for a white Christmas were more like 25% on any given year, not 75%-90%.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:10 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,759,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasape View Post
This is a great map of mean annual snowfall and mean # of days with snowfall of one inch or more.
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/natio...0/ca000076.jpg
As you can see, only Hawaii, southern Florida, and part of the Sonoran Desert get no snow on average.
You should also add Coastal Southern California and extreme south Texas, based on the link you provided.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:47 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Is this updated? I thought Minneapolis' chances for a white Christmas were more like 25% on any given year, not 75%-90%.
There are only a couple of times I remember there not being snow for Christmas in the Twin Cities. However, I believe the requirement is for there to be at least 1" on the ground, which probably was not the case on many of those years.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:57 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
Go here for the current snowfall coverage in southern Canada and the lower 48 of the United States.

Intellicast - Snow Cover in United States

As you can see. The only places with snow left are in the Cascade/Coast ranges of Washington/BC and oregon, and the Northern rockies of the western states.

Additionally there is a small spine going down the Sierra Nevada range into California.

I would say its a pretty good bet that this is where the majority of snow is most consistent in the continental U.S. and Canada. Theres probably snow on the ground in many of these spots 9-10 months out of the year.

Map below shows the places with the highest percentage of a white christmas. Areas marked in white are a good bet =)
Wow, the percentages seem very low on that little map for the entire recorded weather history of the US. I'm shocked. Seems more like from year 2000 on.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:09 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
They're not perfect, but I think these maps below are pretty good layman depictions.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:23 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Almost the entire country receives some snow. I live in Tennessee and snow does happen here but not often. If it happens it’s usually light, even more rarely it sticks and Always melts within 24 hours if it does. However big snows can happen, about 5 years ago we got a 7 inch snowfall. This past winter we received almost nothing but to our east the north and South Carolina coast got around 6 inches of snow. My point is that southern snow happens every year somewhere in the South. It does get cold down here, obviously not northern cold but cold snaps happen every year.

That being said I think the OP wants to know where one expects cold and snow every year. Places where people own snow shovels and snow blowers etc. I would say his definition of above Maryland and west to the Ohio river is a good line to use for a division between the snowy parts of America and the milder warmer region. I will note however that the really hard core snowy region is much further north. The places that look like Christmas cards during winter are more or less northern New England, upper New York, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Montana and the Dakotas. Obviously add all high elevation places in the west and some high elevation places in the east. (Especially West Virginia) There are places in some of those states that receive 150 to 200 inches a year and snow lays on the ground for months and months.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:26 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
They're not perfect, but I think these maps below are pretty good layman depictions.

The top map is a good one. I would remove Kentucky and Virginia from the snow area though.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:19 AM

11,062 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonJad View Post
I know that CO and ... get snow in their mountains but everything underneath gets nothing.
Completely untrue. The entire state gets snow, on a regular basis in winter. Even TX - not normally considered a place with snow, especially along the coast - occasionally can get snow.

That map above with snow belt and sun belt is a lie.

Nature doesn't transition in clean and definitive lines of transition like man thinks and wants.

Maybe only in Hawaii and parts of Florida is snow never seen? That's a guess though.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:37 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Completely untrue. The entire state gets snow, on a regular basis in winter. Even TX - not normally considered a place with snow, especially along the coast - occasionally can get snow.

That map above with snow belt and sun belt is a lie.

Nature doesn't transition in clean and definitive lines of transition like man thinks and wants.

Maybe only in Hawaii and parts of Florida is snow never seen? That's a guess though.

The volcanos in Hawaii get snow

the florida peninsula mostly doesn't especially south of Orlando

elevation plays a big role too obviously

maybe its best to see what places get more than 10 inches on average on something

or might be interesting to see areas with snow cover greater than 10 days on average per year or something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.