Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 09:32 PM

686 posts, read 1,692,987 times

Advertisements

Which region of the u.s. will global warming affect most besides the southwest u.s.?

And also why do people think that people from the south will easily
migrate to the north, how no job, home and by looking at this map it looks like the south has more water than the north. http://www.geog.nau.edu/courses/alew/ggr346/text/maps/us_precip.gif (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 09:45 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,710,671 times
No, the South has more precipitation than the North, not more water.

1/5 of the WORLDS fresh water is in the North, in 5 little lakes: Superior, Huron, Michigan, Ontario,& Erie. Maybe you heard of them . Michigan alone has over 40,000 square MILES of surface water, more than most of the South combined.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:54 PM

686 posts, read 1,692,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
No, the South has more precipitation than the North, not more water.

1/5 of the WORLDS fresh water is in the North, in 5 little lakes: Superior, Huron, Michigan, Ontario,& Erie. Maybe you heard of them . Michigan alone has over 40,000 square MILES of surface water, more than most of the South combined.

true, but the south does have alot of coastline where they can put desalination plants like they have in many other states which would help alot with drought.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:49 AM

970 posts, read 2,939,233 times
Shhh! Global warming is a hoax......

Old 05-04-2009, 09:13 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,564,420 times
I'm hoping it will affect Michigan the most. If our average January temp could go from 28 all the way up to 29.5... this would be paradise, baby!! Bring it on!

Old 05-04-2009, 09:17 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,059,086 times
This is good news for those who are worried about Global warming as mother nature is too be blamed for this one.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...levels-to-drop

Old 05-04-2009, 09:52 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,768,716 times
I don't think the issue is necessarily global warming so much as it is global CHANGE in weather patterns. Warming does not necessarily mean every region will actually get warmer - it means shifts and changes in patterns and trends along with some warming in some areas.

Example: I've lived in Atlanta for 26 years. The weather today is only vaguely like it was when I moved here, and it more closely resembles the patterns of North Florida of the mid-1980s, today. Atlanta has always been a warmer climate, but droughts were not commonplace until recently. However the last couple of years, we've experienced close to violent Springtime seasons with tornadoes being very common - also something that was not at all common years ago, as the tornado types themselves are also changing from "hopping" low strength twisters to now more midwestern, on-the-ground, larger, more powerful tornadoes. They even recently shifted the tornado risk map that was years old, and the Atlanta area is now in a high-risk zone.

Whereas years ago we'd get typical showers or a thunderstorm here and there and then it would be gone, we now get what the weather people call rain "events" that can last for days - again, much like Florida weather than anything else. For instance, we are now in a cycle where for two solid weeks there are only a couple of days predicted with a low change of rain/strong storms - every other day - wet/stormy.

There will be shifts everywhere. Snow lasting longer in the West later into the Spring, ice caps melting at the Pole, etc. But I think in the Southeast you'll see one of the more dramatic changes regarding rainfall (drought or extreme rain), and strong storms (midwestern in style) that did not occur here before.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:47 AM

36,916 posts, read 38,838,960 times
South Florida would be hardest hit since it's projected to get more frequent and intense hurricane. Additionally, in the long run, the flatness of Florida makes rising sea levels a hell of a catastrophe.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:30 PM

12,595 posts, read 21,744,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I don't think the issue is necessarily global warming so much as it is global CHANGE in weather patterns. Warming does not necessarily mean every region will actually get warmer - it means shifts and changes in patterns and trends along with some warming in some areas.
Reps for you... a lot of institutions are trying to ween people off of the phrase "global warming" and switch them to "climate change" which is a more accurate description of what's happening.

That being said, well all feel the effects in one way or another. I worry about low-lying areas who may be affected severely by rising sea levels as a result of melting ice caps. However, this is just more evidence of how change anywhere can effect another part of the world entirely (i.e. if the ice caps melt entirely, low-lying tropical areas will be under water).

Old 05-04-2009, 04:06 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,942,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Example: I've lived in Atlanta for 26 years. The weather today is only vaguely like it was when I moved here, and it more closely resembles the patterns of North Florida of the mid-1980s, today.
Have you looked at weather records to verify that your memories match the official measurements from those 26 years? Anecdotal evidence is completely worthless as a measurement of climate variability and yet I'm always surprised how many people are absolutely convinced that the weather is radically different then when they first moved to (or were growing up) in a place.

I actually think that the only way we will come close to a conclusion about global warming is to measure the more directly-related variables such as sea-level, ice cap extent, and average global temperatures over time (correlated with measurements of greenhouse gasses). Instead we've got the idea of climate change rather then global warming which has introduced a much larger set of variables thereby further muddying the waters. If you blame any extreme weather event on increased greenhouses gasses then you've got a lot of fodder for concluding that climate change is real, but the problem is that you've then strayed a long way from the relatively basic correlation of increased greenhouse gases = increased temperature.

Check out NOAAs link about whether climate has gotten more extreme over the years: Global Warming Frequently Asked Questions
My interpretation is that we can't discern a pattern beyond random variation.

I believe that Americans are incredibly wasteful of all resources, and that there are hidden costs associated with making sure energy, water, oil stay cheap so that we don't have to practice moderation. As such, I am 100% in favor of anything we can do to reduce our resource footprint. However, we should do this irrespective of whether human-induced climate change is occurring (since we'll probably be arguing about that until the cows come home).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.