Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 02:48 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times

Advertisements

Fairly meaningless rankings

Know many wealthy guys in US who are considering relocating to Geneva for tax reasons; has smooth roads and proximity to Germany for great driving, but crappy weather vs SF/LA

QOL in commie places like EU is arguably best for those who are lazy and want a well-paid government job from which one cannot be fired (or have a large inheritance)....sort of like the many $100K+/yr government employees in City of SF

If middle-income, would argue QOL is highest for guys who live and work in places like suburban Dallas or Chicago or Silicon Valley; these guys have co.-paid healthcare (and US has most of world's most talented and highly paid doctors); live in a newer house w/modern HVAC on plenty of land; drive a new Accord/Camry to office in a nearby suburb...and kids can pursue entry to world's leading colleges (and industries) which are all mysteriously based in CA or Northeast

US is land of upward mobility; most of today's wealthy (see Forbes 400 rankings and bios) in US grew up in middle-income households...Switzerland is a great tax haven and playground nr Paris, German autobahns and Monaco area for those who already have lots of bucks and are semi-retired/retired
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 10:28 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Fairly meaningless rankings

Know many wealthy guys in US who are considering relocating to Geneva for tax reasons; has smooth roads and proximity to Germany for great driving, but crappy weather vs SF/LA

QOL in commie places like EU is arguably best for those who are lazy and want a well-paid government job from which one cannot be fired (or have a large inheritance)....sort of like the many $100K+/yr government employees in City of SF

If middle-income, would argue QOL is highest for guys who live and work in places like suburban Dallas or Chicago or Silicon Valley; these guys have co.-paid healthcare (and US has most of world's most talented and highly paid doctors); live in a newer house w/modern HVAC on plenty of land; drive a new Accord/Camry to office in a nearby suburb...and kids can pursue entry to world's leading colleges (and industries) which are all mysteriously based in CA or Northeast

US is land of upward mobility; most of today's wealthy (see Forbes 400 rankings and bios) in US grew up in middle-income households...Switzerland is a great tax haven and playground nr Paris, German autobahns and Monaco area for those who already have lots of bucks and are semi-retired/retired
Yeah I stayed with a host family in Geneva, the people there I met aren't too wealthy, live pretty frugal and just have a nice city. The guy I stayed with actually sold high end bar equipment. I also dated a girl from Bern, same thing... not too wealthy, just very nice very clean cities. The swiss has always been concentrated on quality over quantity like Japan...they are both very clean and modern. Overall they put U.S. to absolute shame. Geneva I didn't see as really a SUPER rich area in the city proper, only around the lake, then you get into some very rich zones... Zurich yes, they have diamond encrusted bears just sitting all around city center... these might get stolen anywhere else. Monaco... oh yeah, same with Nice, Marseilles, etc. Munich and Salzburg have some very rich zones too.

I can't find the diamond guys, but here are some of the other ones and some cool shots of the city I just googled.

http://community.webshots.com/album/...HrKNVr?start=0

Street parade was also good that year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.