Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 11:40 AM

18 posts, read 25,072 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, my name's Michael, I'm new to the forums.
I made a topic like this on a different site and I got laughed at, mainly because of my age and mainly because of my "decisions".

I'm 17, doing my Leaving Certificate examinations next year and then going to college. I know what I want to do, I know how to do it and I know how much it pays over here and in USA.

What I want to do is Software Engineering, now, I've never been to America so I've no idea what it's like to live there and what the cost of living is but I do know that they pay Software Developers a lot more than here.

I've got a couple of questions though.

What's the best location to move to the States? I'd be looking for a quiet place with easy access to groceries etc. I'll probably work from home (if possible but if not, I'd be looking for a low-crime place.

What's the standard of living of people? In here, people started to buy at cheap brands like LIDL, ALDI...

Are people in the States welcoming? I got really dissapointed when I arrived in Ireland. I came here when I was 11 and people were very rude and racist towards me. I'm Polish by the way if that makes any difference but since I've been here for over 6 years already, I want to apply for Irish citizenship.

How much does rent cost? I'd be looking for a studio or a 1 bedroom apartment.

How hard is it nowadays to get a visa if you have a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science? I was thinking about doing a Masters degree.

Thanks for answering all the questions and approaching to this topic maturely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 12:02 PM

4 posts, read 8,717 times
You need a green card to live and work in the U.S. , How are you planning on getting that?

At this stage it's absolutley POINTLESS for you to even think about what's the "best" location in the U.S. to move to or how much the rent is for a studio apartment and etc etc.... Get a greencard then think about all the other things.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velociraptor View Post
You need a green card to live and work in the U.S. , How are you planning on getting that?

At this stage it's absolutley POINTLESS for you to even think about what's the "best" location in the U.S. to move to or how much the rent is for a studio apartment and etc etc.... Get a greencard then think about all the other things.
Quote:
How hard is it nowadays to get a visa if you have a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science?
That was my question too... It's pointless? I've wanted my first car to be a BMW and whaddya know. I have a 1991 E34 520i.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobanek View Post
That was my question too... It's pointless? I've wanted my first car to be a BMW and whaddya know. I have a 1991 E34 520i.
It's easier and cheaper for an American employer to hire an American for that job instead of a European(without a green card). And there's more than enough Americans who are capable of doing that job.

And I also believe the employer needs to more or less prove that theres no American what so ever capable of doing the job if he is to hire a foreigner.

And I assure you, getting a Greencard is much much much harder than buying a BMW... Virtually anybody can buy a BMW if he/she wants to unless the person is a total failure at life.

Your best bet would be to join the diversity program, aka the Green card lottery.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velociraptor View Post
It's easier and cheaper for an American employer to hire an American for that job instead of a European(without a green card). And there's more than enough Americans who are capable of doing that job.

And I also believe the employer needs to more or less prove that theres no American what so ever capable of doing the job if he is to hire a foreigner.

And I assure you, getting a Greencard is much much much harder than buying a BMW... Virtually anybody can buy a BMW if he/she wants to unless the person is a total failure at life.

Your best bet would be to join the diversity program, aka the Green card lottery.
Quote:
hire an American for that job
Europeans have better educational systems and are therefore much more skilled.

Quote:
And there's more than enough Americans who are capable of doing that job.
Why's there so many job offers then?

Quote:
Virtually anybody can buy a BMW if he/she wants to unless the person is a total failure at life.
Especially a 17-year old, right?

Quote:
Do you need to be 18 to do that?

Old 05-05-2011, 02:06 PM

299 posts, read 642,123 times
Quote:
Having that type of thinking certainly won't land you a job here in the States.

But if you want more info on immigration to the US, check out the Legal immigration forum .

Old 05-05-2011, 02:35 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times
So you have a BMW at age 17... a lot of people do. Anyone can save up for a 20 year old car, even a BMW and yes, even a 17 year old.

Quote:
What's the best location to move to the States? I'd be looking for a quiet place with easy access to groceries etc. I'll probably work from home (if possible but if not, I'd be looking for a low-crime place.
There are literally thousands of places, if not more, which match that description. You have to remember that the US is geographically a MUCH bigger country than Ireland and you've just asked a very, very vague question that would be difficult to give a specific answer to.

Quote:
What's the standard of living of people?
It's going to vary greatly depending on location

Quote:
Are people in the States welcoming?
Well, you're not going to make many friends in the US if you go around claiming your education is superior to theirs. There's not much worse than a snobby European so if you come across to people as thinking you're better than them, they won't be very welcoming.

Quote:
How much does rent cost? I'd be looking for a studio or a 1 bedroom apartment.
Again, it's going to vary greatly depending on location.

Quote:
How hard is it nowadays to get a visa if you have a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science? I was thinking about doing a Masters degree.
Now you're finally asking the right questions. My understanding is that a bachelor's degree in most anything won't get you very far but the higher your degree, the better chance you have. So you should definitely go for your Masters if you hope to have a chance.

I'd suggest a student visa instead, so you can live and study in the US and won't have to wait for your masters... but I guess the US education system isn't good enough for you. But whatever you settle on, remember you need to first look into the logistics of obtaining a visa before you have your heart set on a specific location. You'll get better advice if you post in the Immigration section of this forum: //www.city-data.com/forum/legal-immigration/

Old 05-05-2011, 03:03 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,567,214 times
I think there might be less anti-Polish bias in the US than in most of Western Europe going by what I've read. Our Polish immigrants largely arrived 50-100 years ago so have settled in whereas Europe I think has gotten immigration far more recent and haven't adjusted. Plus Poland is closer to them so maybe they have more history there. So Poles are maybe to Western Europeans what Mexicans or Salvadorans are to us in the US. (Not that the majority of us dislike Mexicans, but I imagine many Irish are fine with Poles)

There are "jokes" in the US about Poles, but for many the characters in them have become almost mythical and not connected to the real Polish people. Also I think even anti-Polish jokes are comparatively rare among younger people.

South Dakota is the home of "Gateway" and some tech stuff. It's also low crime, outside the Indian Reservations, and I imagine being Midwestern being Polish is no thing. Although it's more of a Germanic population.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:11 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. Bachelor's - I wouldn't do it in the States, Masters - yes, that's better.
I'm not saying there's no good software developers out there but in comparison, Ireland & UK have been rated much higher in this specific area.

@Thomas R. - thanks, appreciate your opinion and tips.

@PA2UK - In the US maybe it's not such an achievement but trust me, in Ireland most young guys drive small hatchbacks like the Opel Corsa, Volkswagen Polo and the Toyota Yaris.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobanek View Post
Nope.

Quote:
Why's there so many job offers then?
If you(a European without a greencard) and an American, both with the same credentials and education applied for the same job, who do you think is gonna get it? I'll tell you who's gonna get it, the American 9 times out of 10.

Your line of work ain't "special" enough to get a visa on it, I guess it's possible though but I wouldn't count on it.

Quote:
Especially a 17-year old, right?
Maybe there's a difference of how it is in America and Ireland. But in America... a 17 year old owning a 20 year old BMW wouldn't be any special at all.

Quote:
Do you need to be 18 to do that?
Yes. And thats your best shot for sure, chances are if you apply every year... eventually you are gonna get it. Just a matter of time really.

Every country gets a number of Greencards, how much depends on how many have recentley immigrated from that country(I think... something like that anyway).

I'd say the chances are maybe 10%(MAYBE) that you'll get a greencard on the green card lottery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.