Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 10:44 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times

Advertisements

Grand Tetons and Niagra Falls.

Lincoln Memorial and the Mackinaw Bridge.

I guess I'm in the minority here but I was disappointed with both Mount Rushmore and the Alamo.

Mount Rushmore was much smaller than I expected and it seemed odd to me that the sculpter blasted and hammered away all that rock and it just sits in a pile at the base. I guess I thought it would have been cleaned up a bit.

The Alamo it's self wasn't disappointing but the area around it was. I thought it was supposed to be a historic landmark and it was SO commercialized it seemed offensive. Ripley's Believe it or Not steps away, street preachers yelling at me, etc. etc. I found the missions southeast of town much more enjoyable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 12:07 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
-Natural Landmark: Grand Canyon

-Iconic Landmark: St. Louis Arch

-Bridge: Golden Gate

-Sky Scraper: Chrysler Building in NYC

-Best collection of landmarks: National Mall in DC

-Best historical landmark: Old North Church/Paul Revere Mall in Boston

-Best kitschy and glitzy landmarks: Las Vegas Strip

-Most nostalgic sports landmark: Fenway Park in Boston

-Most symbolic landmark: Statue of Liberty

-Best 18th century landmark: Independence Hall in Philadelphia

-Best 19th century landmark: Brooklyn Bridge

-Best 20th century landmark: Seattle Space Needle

-Best 21st century landmark: still waiting for American ingenuity to make a comeback....

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 11-07-2013 at 12:21 PM..

Old 11-07-2013, 12:22 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
The Empire State Building!!!! Went up there for the first time last October! It was surreal up there! Such a beautiful and handsome skyscraper!

These are my pictures

Old 11-07-2013, 12:25 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Honorable mention is the Washington Monument

Old 11-07-2013, 01:19 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post

I guess I'm in the minority here but I was disappointed with both Mount Rushmore and the Alamo.

Mount Rushmore was much smaller than I expected and it seemed odd to me that the sculpter blasted and hammered away all that rock and it just sits in a pile at the base. I guess I thought it would have been cleaned up a bit.

The Alamo it's self wasn't disappointing but the area around it was. I thought it was supposed to be a historic landmark and it was SO commercialized it seemed offensive. Ripley's Believe it or Not steps away, street preachers yelling at me, etc. etc. I found the missions southeast of town much more enjoyable.
I just noticed I insulted the Mighty Mac. I must have had a brain fart. I meant the Mackinac Bridge.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
My own personal favorite? The statue of Chief Black Hawk, that we'd watch for on car trips down to visit our family every year, visible from across the Illinois River.

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-ge...tue-804470.jpg

I guess I could also say the iconic "End of the Trail", since I grew up a few blocks from it and fished in the shadow of it.

http://www.jeffraflik.com/end.of.the...1511.0915a.jpg

Old 11-07-2013, 01:39 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,157 times
The LA Memorial Coliseum is my favorite. i absolutely love going there.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:54 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post

I like Mount Rushmore, but other parts of the Black Hills are much better...Harney Peak (I love the hike to the top), Little Devil's Tower and the Cathedral Spires, Needles Highway and the Needle's Eye, Iron Mountain Road and the pigtail bridges and tunnels, Spearfish Canyon, Sylvan Lake. I'm not a huge fan of Deadwood and don't spend much time there, but I do enjoy walking the Mount Moriah Cemetery.

I absolutely love the Tetons and can't wait to go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.