Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 12:49 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,394,538 times

Advertisements

I think Austin would be a terrific choice for many of the same reasons others have outlined. It's a very unique city with it's own identity and character, a very large population of young people, fairly low cost of living, plentiful jobs, and warm and sunny weather for a large portion of the year (although summers are uncomfortably hot and humid).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 01:42 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Chicago
Philadelphia
Portland
Seattle
As far as cities with character I chose these. Yes I did put Seattle on the list. Yes its real estate is expensive but no where near SF, LA, NY, Boston or San Diego.
Portland & Seattle the cloudiest but tempertures are quite moderate in winter and summer.
Chicago and Philly are surprisingly reasonable to live in with all the big city amenities.
Seattle is where I live and I love it. Dense, walkable, clean, pretty safe and very scenic with plenty to see and do. Quite liberal too.

Portland is one of my favorite cities in the U.S. Quite a surprise. Found the people quite friendly. Its downtown is quite nice and very walkable. Great neighborhoods with easy access to public transportation.
http://www.teridanielsbooks.com/States/Oregon/Portland,%20Oregon,%20downtown,%20trolley.jpg (broken link)

http://www.travelportland.com/portland_resources/photos/images/max_downtown2.jpg (broken link)

[IMG]http://www.archnewsnow.com/features/images/Feature0001_04x.jpg
[/IMG]

Old 04-08-2007, 01:47 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,593 times
I have a lot of family that just up and moved to Portland. So far they said they loved it but they ended up going to Seattle for more work.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:16 AM

73 posts, read 403,206 times
I've lived in Austin and I'd like to live there again. It's seems to have many more local shops than chain places and the people seem pretty liberal, socially. They have a saying. It's, "Keep Austin Weird". That about sums it up.

The pictures above me are making me want to move to Portland, though. Wow, hills and green stuff...and houses on the hills. I would love to move out of Texas, but it's so cheap here!

Old 04-08-2007, 06:30 AM

112 posts, read 615,809 times
Those pics of Portland are beautiful. I am just going to have to visit some time during the winter months and see what it is all about.

Seattle has always intrigued me as well, and I have never thought of living in Philly, so I will ahve to give that a look.

I have heard good things about Austin, but have mostly heard that it is a college town. Although maybe it is growing up a little more now.

As for Denver, doesn't it get a lot of snow and have a fairly long winter? I like some winter, but if I am going to move somewhere with a longer winter than Indy, I am moving to Toronto.

Old 04-21-2007, 02:25 PM

942 posts, read 1,392,653 times
As far as Portland, if its mountain views and cool damp weather, and a vibrant downtown, Portland has that to offer as well as an extensive public transit system. You mentioned gay friendly type communities, I have never really understood that about here, its not very visible like the homelessness and drug useage. It does have a large gay woman population, both here and in the state as a whole, but none of this is as visible as other large cities, I would say. Portland is not all that inexpensive anylonger, is well on its way to trying to catch up with seattle, although that is much higher cost. I think you are basically in a a lower cost region, I have been hearing alot about Pittsburgh, you might look into that. Atlanta is just too much of a mess traffic wise, and Austin also I hear good things about, you definitely might want to research Austin. Good Luck.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:16 PM

793 posts, read 3,122,300 times
I was a bit disappointed with my visit to Portland recently. Downtown at night is dead! I love Washington park, I love the location of the nearby ocean and mountains, but the city itself was a bit of a letdown from my perspective. Plus, the far-left politics I've been reading about frequently are a big turn off for me on a few fronts. Seattle too is much the same. I love the location and what the region around Seattle has to offer. The city itself I like by day. But by night, downtown has really seen a big decay. In fact, I'd go so far to say that it isn't safe in alot of places. Pioneer Square? Why does the Seattle tourism board actually still try to promote this drug haven?

Old 04-21-2007, 05:34 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Just by looking at the title of this thread (before I even opened it), Pittsburgh and Providence were the first places that came to mind for "Big Cities with Character and Affordability." I see many other people had the same thought. Also, look into Philadelphia. It's one of my favorite cities and it's still MUCH more affordable than most Northeast Corridor cities.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:51 PM

413 posts, read 2,561,024 times
Birmingham, Alabama - going through some major revitalization too, but nice downtown lofty parts. Pretty burbs area

Old 04-22-2007, 10:10 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxMarcus View Post
See people keep saying Portland is nice, I would definitely like there...if it were sunny more than 3 months of the year. That is what I am a bit scared of. I don't require UV light therapy in the winter or have a vitamin D deficiency, but I still like the sun. Although, I have heard that most of the cloudiness is in the winter, and winter in the midwest is pretty gloomy too. So is it really that bad?

I feel like Portland has a lot going for it, but the weather scares me a bit. (Although weather isn't my main consideration, my partner wants somewhere with better weather than Indiana.)
The weather here in Portland does truely affect some people (natives and transplants.) That is why the country's leading seasonal depression disorder research is done at OHSU. BUT it really is not that bad.

I moved here from NC years ago and LOVE Portland! The rain doesn't bother me. The mud gets to me (I now have a 7 year old and 4 year old) thus I'm always doing laundry. But life pre-kids the mud or rain never bothered me.

Portland does truly have it's own character. If you like a mix of urban savy and friendly outdoor activities this is the city for you.

If you are looking for something slightly smaller with a few more sunny days (snowy but sunny) try Bend, Oregon.

BTW, Portland is still the most affordable Metropolitian City on the West Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.