Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:33 AM

3 posts, read 7,425 times

Advertisements

this may sound deragatory, but if u can plz answer: where are hilbilies in the u.s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 10:36 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
I really don't know where those are, but Hillbillies are found everywhere.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:47 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Appalachia. Anyplace that's rural with lots of hills.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:43 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatownrenegade View Post
this may sound deragatory, but if u can plz answer: where are hilbilies in the u.s
In the hills.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:22 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Right here:

http://www.porpitude.com/uploaded_images/hillbilly-758774.png (broken link)

Old 05-13-2009, 12:27 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,686,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I really don't know where those are, but Hillbillies are found everywhere.

TRUE

The whole Appalachian region has them in every state the mountain range runs through... And a lot of the west has them.

Even CA and NJ has them in a decent amount.

There's just not one state that doesn't have them.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:38 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,919 times
I was born and raised in Los Angeles, Ca., My husband was from Tennessee. The funniest thing I ever heard my mother in law say was "We ain't rednecks" "We're hillbillies"
I have to tell you in my mind I was thinking "HUH?"

Old 05-13-2009, 01:01 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Default The difference between...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
I was born and raised in Los Angeles, Ca., My husband was from Tennessee. The funniest thing I ever heard my mother in law say was "We ain't rednecks" "We're hillbillies"
I have to tell you in my mind I was thinking "HUH?"
There's a very distinct difference between the two (though both are technically derogatory words).

I am from central West Virginia... "hillbilly country". I now live in the outer suburbs of Atlanta... "redneck country". Yes, there are vast differences between the two.

But to sum it up as short as possible: Both groups are typically seen as backwards and less educated by other more "mainstream" groups in America.

Hillbillies typically are very private, quieter, less social, and tend to isolate themselves a lot more, keeping to themselves and have a "you leave me alone and I'll leave you alone" type of mentality. Most commonly run into throughout the Appalachian areas (Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, Western-Virginia, and Western Pennsylvania.

Rednecks on the other hand, are typically louder, more "in your face", and have a, "If we don't like it, we'll hunt it down and get rid of it", type of mentality. Most commonly run into in the South (Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisianna, Carolinas, and into Texas).

A third slang, "Hicks" is sometimes used to describe one and/or the other, but it's typically much more generic, as I've heard that word used to describe "backwards folks" in any number of States from New York state to rural Michigan, Oklahoma, etc etc.

Again, they are considered derogatory words, unless used by "their own" (though they should be considered bad no matter who uses them). In other words, two guys in Kentucky can call each other hillbillies and it's used in jest, but if a guy from New York City called them a hillbilly, there would be a problem.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:07 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
There's a very distinct difference between the two (though both are technically derogatory words).

I am from central West Virginia... "hillbilly country". I now live in the outer suburbs of Atlanta... "redneck country". Yes, there are vast differences between the two.

But to sum it up as short as possible: Both groups are typically seen as backwards and less educated by other more "mainstream" groups in America.

Hillbillies typically are very private, quieter, less social, and tend to isolate themselves a lot more, keeping to themselves and have a "you leave me alone and I'll leave you alone" type of mentality. Most commonly run into throughout the Appalachian areas (Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, Western-Virginia, and Western Pennsylvania.

Rednecks on the other hand, are typically louder, more "in your face", and have a, "If we don't like it, we'll hunt it down and get rid of it", type of mentality. Most commonly run into in the South (Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisianna, Carolinas, and into Texas).

A third slang, "Hicks" is sometimes used to describe one and/or the other, but it's typically much more generic, as I've heard that word used to describe "backwards folks" in any number of States from New York state to rural Michigan, Oklahoma, etc etc.

Again, they are considered derogatory words, unless used by "their own" (though they should be considered bad no matter who uses them). In other words, two guys in Kentucky can call each other hillbillies and it's used in jest, but if a guy from New York City called them a hillbilly, there would be a problem.
Agreed -

but I would add, it is a matter of perspective. Where I'm from people think North Georgia is hillbilly country.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:11 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,164 times
Also, to add to the "rednecks" you need to add West Virginia. They are rednecks because during one of the miner's strikes a huge group of miners declared war against the Baldwin Felts agency that was doing horrendous things to miners. In order to avoid shooting their own people, the miners said that they would wear red hankerchiefs around their necks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.