Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 11:21 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times

Advertisements

So it appears that as of now, most of our homes are visible on the Street View feature on GoogleMaps.

Many people I have talked to think this feature is neat, but also find it to be an invasion of privacy. They don't like that anybody can just snoop around their neighborhood.

I do not share that opinion. I am 100% pro-Street View. The way I see it, unless you live in a gated subdivision (which aren't on street view to begin with) your house is open for prying eyes anyway. Anybody and everybody who cares enough can just go to your house in person if they want to see it so bad. I for one, feel more comfortable if the stalkers do their stalking from their computer screen several miles away instead of from the bushes in front of my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 02:00 AM

71 posts, read 340,649 times
I think that street view is a great service. The street is a public place, and whatever is visible from there is fair game for dissemination online. It is useful for privacy that Google blurs faces and license plates to protect privacy.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:37 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
As long as you cannot see the interior of the home, I don't see it as a true invasion or privacy. Anyone driving by or walking by the home will be able to see the same thing anyway. And Peeping Tom's will peer in the windows to see what they want to see. Street View does not have that capability, at least not that I can see.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:49 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
How old are some of those areas on Streetview? Just checked my location (not even close to having it), then checked where my Cousin has a business. It has streetview for the location, but his building still has the previous business signage out front. My Cousin has had that building and his sign out front for almost 5 years now.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:52 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
^^^True. I saw the Street View of my own location and it was a year old at the time that I viewed it.

I'd be more concerned about the live cameras that are being set up around the cities in our country. That to me is an invasion of privacy.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:38 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
So it appears that as of now, most of our homes are visible on the Street View feature on GoogleMaps.

Many people I have talked to think this feature is neat, but also find it to be an invasion of privacy. They don't like that anybody can just snoop around their neighborhood.

I do not share that opinion. I am 100% pro-Street View. The way I see it, unless you live in a gated subdivision (which aren't on street view to begin with) your house is open for prying eyes anyway. Anybody and everybody who cares enough can just go to your house in person if they want to see it so bad. I for one, feel more comfortable if the stalkers do their stalking from their computer screen several miles away instead of from the bushes in front of my house.
I agree with you If it can be seen in person from a public place (street, sidewalk, park, alley, etc.) then no way is Street View invading privacy.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:52 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Most of the views are years old and are NOT "live cam views". If they were live cam views it would be a different story, as people could literally watch to see who comes and goes from a home. But my home's view is a year old. A friend's home across town is 3 1/2 years old. Both easily visible from the street as you're driving by, so, no invasion of privacy.

If a google car actually stops at a private gate that has a "private property" sign posted on it, the driver opens that gate, and then drives up the road to take pics of the home beyond that gate, yes, they should be held at fault for it.

Google offers and "opt out" option on the page where you can request your home be removed, and they handle it quickly. So folks can't say they are "forced" to show their homes on it. You can have it taken off. Also, if people are in the view, their faces are blurred out by Google. My brother-in-law is actually ON it! He was working in his yard when they drove by taking snaps, and he's right there looking at them - but they blurred his face out.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:06 PM

241 posts, read 1,335,216 times
Fresh Logic Studios - Atlas

This is another service service that also offers satellite and close up views (called "Bird's Eye view," which appears in the toolbox in areas where it's available). It appears as though helicopter- or plane-mounted cameras were used. The Bird's Eye feature is available in most larger US cities and a few foreign cities.

Seems like this would be helpful for someone who wanted to remotely check out a neighborhood and plan an escape route before committing some crime.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:28 PM

95 posts, read 300,923 times
I agree.. Anyone can see your house regardless.
No one can pick your lock and watch you take a shower on google street view or anything

Old 05-14-2009, 02:19 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,460,840 times
I live in an area of Baltimore County that is very close to Lockheed Martin and also an Air National Guard. For obvious security reasons, my house (and the surrounding area) canned be viewed up close on Google Street View. I'm glad about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.