Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 03:19 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,891,067 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from WI, but have been living in Las Vegas for the past 11 years or so. I like living in Vegas, but I've been here for so long that I kind of want to get out and try something new for a little while. Due to some obligations, I have to stay put until 2011, but after that, I'll have the opportunity to relocate for a couple years (or more, I suppose, if I end up liking my new location better).

I'm not 100% sure if I want to move or not yet, but I want to start researching some cities to see if there are any great fits out there. I was hoping you all could do your thing and recommend some places for me to look into.

Criteria:

-I prefer a more suburban environment. I'm used to living in clean, new, master-planned communities and I really like that aspect of where I am now. I'm open to considering denser cities, as long as the metro area includes some nice, well-manicured suburbs within a decent commute. (I know, I know, most of you are cringing right now, but urban living isn't for everyone!)

-There should be a good population of people in their 20s. I'm young and single and would prefer a place where it's easy to meet other people my age.

-Decent weather is a must. Although I prefer warm weather, I'd be willing to consider a 4 season climate. I just can't tolerate extreme cold. So I don't want anywhere with long, gloomy, frigid cold winters (so nothing like WI).

-I'm a pretty health-conscious person, so being in a place where people care about being healthy is a plus. Whole Foods type stores, biking trails, lots of gyms, etc. would be good.

-I want a total metro population of at least 500,000. No small towns for me. A healthy growth rate is good, but I'm not fond of overcrowding where they tightly pack in as many houses as humanly possible and force millions of people onto the same few highways. So I guess I'm looking for well-planned growth and good infrastructure.

-I don't care too much about political ideology for the most part. I'm not very political and can get along with almost anyone. That said, I have more moderate views and would prefer to avoid the absolute extremes.

-I prefer to drive, so public transportation isn't a concern. Schools aren't a concern either (no kids).

-Cost isn't a huge issue.

Any suggestions for places to research?

So far, I think I might like Denver and San Diego. I haven't researched them yet, but they sound like they could fit. Aside from those, I don't really know where else to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 03:12 AM

36,630 posts, read 67,178,829 times
I recommend checking out Austin, Texas.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:19 AM

6,023 posts, read 13,996,664 times
You may want to check out the Bay area of California. Downside is the high cost of living.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:29 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,772,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I recommend checking out Austin, Texas.
Beat me to it - exactly the place that came to my mind, too. Though it does exceed the 500,000 person limit, it's not an out of control large city, either. Younger folks/mindset. Funky. Strong music/entertainment scene. Warm climate, yadda yadda.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:16 AM

25 posts, read 72,099 times
Why start now? With the way the economy is I expect things to be much different by 2011. GM and Chrysler are going into bankruptcy. What other major corporations will disappear? Losing a major source of employment can be devastating for a city. Gas prices will probably by WAY up and that will have a major effect on where you choose to live. One thing I am sure of is your going to want to get out of Vegas before it dries up.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:24 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,846,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Beat me to it - exactly the place that came to my mind, too. Though it does exceed the 500,000 person limit, it's not an out of control large city, either. Younger folks/mindset. Funky. Strong music/entertainment scene. Warm climate, yadda yadda.
Texas isn't exactly very health-conscious.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
500,000 was actually a minimum metro size, not a maximum.

I don't mind large cities (my current metro is 2 million), I just don't like cities that feel super-crowded.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:19 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,529,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Texas isn't exactly very health-conscious.
You know this how? God, you're unbelievable.
(Note to OP: she has not been to Texas ever before.) You will find just as many gyms and healthfood stores as any other place. Austin is where Lance Armstrong does his training to give you an idea that biking is a popular activity somewhat.

Last edited by Westerner92; 05-19-2009 at 08:51 PM..

Old 05-20-2009, 02:23 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,756,441 times
Quote:
-I prefer a more suburban environment. I'm used to living in clean, new, master-planned communities and I really like that aspect of where I am now. I'm open to considering denser cities, as long as the metro area includes some nice, well-manicured suburbs within a decent commute. (I know, I know, most of you are cringing right now, but urban living isn't for everyone!)

-There should be a good population of people in their 20s. I'm young and single and would prefer a place where it's easy to meet other people my age.
Suburbs aren't generally known for young singles. Suburbs are known for families with kids who come home, park in their garage, and watch TV.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:22 AM

Yeah. That's what I was afraid of too. But then I actually looked at some potential suburban areas and it seems that many have a good 15-20% of the population in their 20s and a good 25-35% single. Not bad.

Additionally, I wouldn't be opposed to going downtown for nightlife and social stuff.

Anyway, so far San Diego and Denver are still looking good, and I've added Austin to my list to research. Any thoughts on Dallas? I know that it's a lot bigger than the other metros I'm looking at, but if things are planned out well so that it doesn't feel super crowded (I'm basically trying to avoid LA-type scenarios), that could be a possibility. What about Sacramento as an alternative to San Francisco (my budget is fairly high, but SF may be a bit too expensive)? And I think I'll stop there, because I have a feeling that I'm starting to get into questions that would be better for the local boards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.