Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: did it?
Yes 160 77.67%
Not at all/didn't care 46 22.33%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 03:04 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
How and why do you hate palm trees? I can understand if one doesn't like living in a climate where they are found but I don't get how anyone can actually "hate" a palm tree or any tree for that matter. Did you have a bad experiance with a palm tree or something? Sorry but that is just weird to "hate" a tree imo.
and they purposely go around knocking down the native trees to put up palm trees because the TOURISTS want to see palm trees. I have both on my property. Not crazy about the palm, but at least I have a "normal" tree too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 03:54 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,822,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
How and why do you hate palm trees? I can understand if one doesn't like living in a climate where they are found but I don't get how anyone can actually "hate" a palm tree or any tree for that matter. Did you have a bad experiance with a palm tree or something? Sorry but that is just weird to "hate" a tree imo.
Oh yes, when I was 3 years old one fell on top of my mom and, well... She was okay, but that was when I knew that Mr. Palm Tree and I could never be friends again...

No, not really. I just think they're HORRENDOUSLY ugly. And plus they're not native to a lot of areas and just don't belong in many places where they are. People here in Oregon plant palm trees in their yards and it looks tacky and stupid. They don't look any less tacky when they're planted somewhere where they're the norm (and also non-native), in my opinion.

That said, palm trees alone wouldn't be enough to keep me from enjoying the fabulous California coast or even living there.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:13 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,063,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadinaFromJerz View Post
Just wondering.
Honestly, I moved to where i live now because the rent was cheap for its location and the area was fairly on the safe side... I have yet to own a home yet, so scenery might be another must on my checklist when i do my home hunting.

How important is it to you?
Would you be in your home if the scenery was bland?

The scenery here plays a role on where we live. Lots of hills,greenery, lovely greenway system, beautiful tall mature trees, and lots of open spaces.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:33 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default From what I have read on this forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Oh yes, when I was 3 years old one fell on top of my mom and, well... She was okay, but that was when I knew that Mr. Palm Tree and I could never be friends again...

No, not really. I just think they're HORRENDOUSLY ugly. And plus they're not native to a lot of areas and just don't belong in many places where they are. People here in Oregon plant palm trees in their yards and it looks tacky and stupid. They don't look any less tacky when they're planted somewhere where they're the norm (and also non-native), in my opinion.

That said, palm trees alone wouldn't be enough to keep me from enjoying the fabulous California coast or even living there.
Southern California seem to be a much better place to live than South Florida, palm trees and all.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:42 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Scenery is too expensive. All other things being equal, it costs quite a lot more to live in a place that has scenery.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:07 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,688,474 times
People are arguing about palm trees?
who cares if someone hates palm trees. or loves them.. who cares.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
This is a thread about scenery.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:43 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,822,511 times
Quote:
Exactly. I don't even care that much and I'm the one who hates the damn things. But it IS a thread about scenery so...

Old 05-20-2009, 09:51 PM

559 posts, read 1,757,840 times
the scenery has nothing to do with me living here; its flat.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:40 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
I was just curious why someone would hate palm trees and I got my answers and now I know why some people do not like palm trees, didn't think it was such a big deal. WTF does it matter to you anyways? Like that is the dumbest thing people on here have argued about too. Get over yourself....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.