Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: did it?
Yes 160 77.67%
Not at all/didn't care 46 22.33%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 06:54 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Yes. I moved here because the ocean is nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 06:57 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,919,105 times
For myself, scenery is related to both the type of nature and urban scenery a place provides and not just nature.

And yes, the scenery around me does place a big role for why I would live in a particular place.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:01 AM

1,134 posts, read 3,190,909 times
For me scenery is why I want to move. There are some advantages to living in KS, but the lack of scenery kills me. Here is my problem here: Not only is there not much to do with the natural scenery, but the climate makes it almost impossible to landscape. I lived in SW Fla for a few years. It's not a gorgeous natural landscape, mostly swampland. However, you have the beautiful sunsets on the beach and a climate that will grow all kinds of flowers and trees. So although there weren't any majestic views, I was content looking at vegetation. Kansas...well I feel like our scenery is a double screw. Its flat and the climate isn't dry enough to get desert plants. We normally get heavy spring rains that tell the grass and trees, yes you can grow here. Then by mid June the rains are gone, the triple digit heat is here and by August is has killed everything. The trees here don't grow tall. And the wind and ice storms really deforms their shape. I don't hate the city of Wichita, but terrain depresses me. I can't imagine living in Amarillo, TX.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:45 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
I've lived here for a couple of years now and I still poke whoever is sitting beside me in the car and say "hey, hey, look at that, isn't it just gorgeous"!
It annoys my DD to no end, but I don't think I'll ever tire of seeing the mountains all around me. I mean even the view from the Walmart parking lot is nice.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:20 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
For me scenery is why I want to move. There are some advantages to living in KS, but the lack of scenery kills me. Here is my problem here: Not only is there not much to do with the natural scenery, but the climate makes it almost impossible to landscape. I lived in SW Fla for a few years. It's not a gorgeous natural landscape, mostly swampland. However, you have the beautiful sunsets on the beach and a climate that will grow all kinds of flowers and trees. So although there weren't any majestic views, I was content looking at vegetation. Kansas...well I feel like our scenery is a double screw. Its flat and the climate isn't dry enough to get desert plants. We normally get heavy spring rains that tell the grass and trees, yes you can grow here. Then by mid June the rains are gone, the triple digit heat is here and by August is has killed everything. The trees here don't grow tall. And the wind and ice storms really deforms their shape. I don't hate the city of Wichita, but terrain depresses me. I can't imagine living in Amarillo, TX.
It's one of the reason I left 25 years ago.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:57 AM

61 posts, read 197,330 times
no unfortunately -_-
the scenery here is very flat and boring, and our native trees are more like overgrown shrubs. all that we have is the crappy beach, with its 3 foot waves that aren't very useful. when i traveled from texas to california (by charter bus), the dramatic change in landscape shocked me. first time seeing a mountain, i must say
*hehe, someones defensiveness about hating palms made me lol, ive been around palms my whole life and i HATE them. like previously stated, they create no shade, are EVERYWHERE to the point of getting annoying. still, like i said, they're better than the trees that grow native to the area. i just wish we had beautiful, dramatic pines here like everyone else. you people take these kinds of things for granted

Last edited by social bunny; 07-12-2011 at 10:12 AM..

Old 07-12-2011, 01:22 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Wow, a lot of East and Northeast love in a scenery thread! I feel all fuzzy inside!

I moved to New Mexico from New York's lower Hudson Valley for the scenery. When I move back, it will be for the scenery (and family :-).

I just prefer the balance of lush forest, wide rivers, steep cliffs, everything pulsating with life. There is nothing like seeing a quaint church steeple and gambrel roofs poking up from billowing, leafy branches of greenest green with hills rising wild in the background shedding numerous unnamed creeks and unvisited gorges of vine-dressed rock, cool and damp in their mossy cloaks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...P8070113-1.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 05-08-2019 at 11:37 AM..

Old 07-12-2011, 02:15 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Yes. If Portland wasn't close to Mt. Hood and the rest of the Cascades, Columbia Gorge, Oregon Coast, and didn't have forested hills on the outskirts of downtown, there's no way I'd live here. If Portland was plopped down in the middle of the Great Plains(no offense to those from there), and was almost exactly the same with the same populace, it wouldn't be enticing to me at all.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:25 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
That is why I won't move back to Kansas. I prefer the coasts or a place with lots of woods and greenery.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:46 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,708 times
I don't think I could live somewhere solely on scenery unless I was filthy rich and didn't need a job. lol

But it helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.