Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 05:11 PM

25 posts, read 53,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
No, the problem is that he doesnt like the bible belt culture
I live in California and loved visiting the so called "bible belt". The problem is the individual in his case. There are many activities even in Little Rock that do not involve being pressured about religion.

I think the whole "push their religion on us" thing is a crock anyhow. All the time I spent in the South and I never had anyone do this to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 05:14 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaMonicaALEX View Post
I live in California and loved visiting the so called "bible belt". The problem is the individual in his case. There are many activities even in Little Rock that do not involve being pressured about religion.

I think the whole "push their religion on us" thing is a crock anyhow. All the time I spent in the South and I never had anyone do this to me
my 10 yr h.s. reunion has a whole day planned around a "christian heritage" event with breakfast at a buffet.

a guy I work with carries a bible around with him everywhere...

there are churches at a large strip mall w/ people handing out and soliciting pamphlets.

I get handed water by a church group when I walk around in a local park.

these are just things I have ran into in the last week. and this is just on the edge of it...

visiting places is different than living...you run into different things.

visiting the deep south w/o seeing religion is like visiting nyc without seeing taxi cabs. it is everywhere.

religion isn't in the bible belt?...yeah OK

Old 06-19-2011, 09:33 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,799,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
A small town in Central Kentucky

These ten are in no particular order of most to least irritating.

(1) Backwards, "good ol' farm country boy" mindset of local politics
(2) Very friendly people on the outside (generally), but very reluctant to truly accept "outsiders." I've been an "outsider" living within for almost 18 years.
(3) Working in retail, I've found that this particular group of people might well be the laziest, least intellectual and least motivated-to-do-anything-with-their-lives group of people I've ever encountered. Example: Customer: "Where's the...uhmmmm, discs with the country music awn 'em?" Me: "I believe they're called CDs, and you're staring right at them." Another example, and A TRUE STORY: Customer: "Hey boy, do ya'll got 8-tracks?" Me: "Uhmmmm...nooooo, we haven't sold them in fifteen years."
(4) Fewer than 50% of graduates from the local public school go on to any kind of postsecondary training--trade school, beauty school, military, university, etc.
(5) I'm 23. Literally 3/5 of the people I graduated high school with are engaged, married, divorced, have at least one child, or some combination.
(6) Driving EIGHT MILES to Frankfort is considered a big trip and people p*ss and moan about the "horrible" traffic. Frankfort, Kentucky's state capital, only has 30,000 people but is three times bigger than my town.
(7) University of Kentucky...Cincinnati Reds...Cincinnati Bengals. There is no dissent. You must cheer for all of these teams, or keep you mouth shut, or you're an "outsider."
(8) The planning and development patterns of the community are rather trashy, shall we say. Perfectly usable farmland is being usurped to place shoddily-constructed, Section 8-qualifying duplexes and barely single-family homes that will not be inhabitable by a normal person's standards in 20 years.
(9) The Southern twang. Just b/c one has a twang doesn't necessarily mean that they're trashy, unintelligent, undereducated or undesirable...but it sure is a very, very good sign that they are. And in this town, that adage holds true.
(10) The four-lane bypass, almost interstate quality, could be 65 MPH. Instead, it's 45 MPH, and much of it traverses farmland. Clearly this is a speed trap and not about safety. Yes, the cops really enforce it, too.

If I stay in Kentucky, it will be extreme Northern KY (where it looks like I may be moving to in a few weeks!!!) or a few select neighborhoods in Louisville. Even Lexington--and much of Louisville--have a lot of that redneck stuff that just irritates me.
I posted this over two years ago. By the way, after I left, the following incident happened in the very same town:
YouTube - ‪Man Eats Beard‬‏

Did you notice the victim's hat?

A follow up: I did move to Northern KY after all; thankfully, I'm about to leave Kentucky altogether for another region of the U.S. I'm looking forward to the adventure and change in culture.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:52 PM

191 posts, read 214,863 times
Well I like where I live (Philadelphia)

But if I chose 10 which I don't think I can then it will be
1. Lack of police when needed
2. Gas prices
3. Winters!

That's about it.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:22 PM

125 posts, read 333,588 times
1. It's too damn conservative.
2. It's obnoxiously segregated
3. It does almost nothing to attract a professional crowd.
4. There's a huge lack of jobs actually on the island.
5. It's not connected to the NYC subway system.
6. It's full of mall rats
7. The beaches are rather boring, and in a number of spots, trashy.
8. The nightlife here is only for the natives who live for drama.
9. The traffic and drivers here come from hell.
10. The island is riddled with the tacky, late 90s, "affordable housing"

Old 06-20-2011, 01:18 AM

260 posts, read 757,410 times
I'm not sure I can do ten, since I love where I live, but I'll do my best.

1) Anarchists
2) Hipsters
3) Mike McSchwinn/Bikin' Mike; whatever you want to call the mayor
4) Corrupt and violent police
5) Concert audiences give standing ovations to literally every performance
6) Some people dress in jeans/sweats/t-shirts to go to the symphony/opera/ballet
7) Dumb drivers

Old 06-20-2011, 02:06 AM

163 posts, read 376,581 times
For Omaha, Nebraska-

1. Winters are rough. Too cold, and the snow stays for too long.

2. Too many natives are convinced Omaha is awesome compared to anywhere else. If you criticize Omaha, they'll heap on whatever insult they can. Wherever you like is either too expensive to live, has horrible weather, the people are mean, unemployment is high, etc.

3. Huskers. I don't hate the Huskers, I have no feelings towards them at all, but people take their affiliation way too seriously. People here will buy anything with the big red N on it. Hot dog bun warmer, forest face, shower caddy, you name it. It'd be a small point, but during football season, the Huskers are front page news every Sunday. No ifs, ands, or buts. I feel that if that's the most important news of the day, the newspaper doesn't need to be a daily occurrence. It also irks me that the Huskers, from the University of Nebraska, Lincoln, receive such support, while the attention paid to the University of Nebraska, Omaha's Mavericks is anemic in comparison.

4. Conservative. I swear every word of this story is true, when I was working as a cashier this past January, I was at work when congresswoman Giffords was shot in Tucson. The store where I worked had TVs playing right by the registers, and one customer came up with his purchase and briefly turned to the TV to catch up on the breaking news. The reporter said something to the effect of "Giffords has been rushed to a nearby hospital." The customer responded, word for word "Pfft. Let her die. She's a democrat." I actually stopped ringing up the man's purchase, I didn't believe I had just heard him say that. He continued "We're in a lot of trouble because of them. No offense if you're a democrat." I was in a state of disbelief. All throughout the same day, customers would come in, see the news playing, and ask "Well, was she a republican or a democrat?" with honest to goodness anticipation in their voices. As if their reaction was contingent on my answer. This is obviously just anecdotal evidence (the worst kind) but I think it illustrates what I'm going for very well. There's only one acceptable way to think around here, and if you disagree, well, "no offense, but..."

5. The famous Midwestern friendliness. It's a crock. I'm used to people being critical or abrupt (I'm originally from the East Coast.) But I'm still not used to the friendly-to-your-face style a lot of people have out here. Perhaps I've just had a series of bad experiences, but far too many people I've met are easygoing and friendly, and then completely malicious behind your back. One or the other is fine by me, but it's very difficult to know where you stand with anybody. If you ask "Did I do something wrong?" the answer is invariably "Oh no, you're all right." But you can expect to be gossiped about and criticized when you're not around. I had a few supervisors at a job that were exceptionally guilty of this. New employees would start, and predictably be slower or less efficient than established workers. They'd ask for guidance from the bosses, and just be told "Oh you're doing fine." The supervisors would in turn talk about how useless the new people were, they need to shape up or they wouldn't be around long, etc. It's almost as if people are scared of necessary confrontation. Believe me, I loathe confrontation, but it's such an alien concept around here, unless people are screaming at their waiter about messing up an order, they have no guts to say anything to somebody in a position to defend themselves.

6. Drunk driving. It's a very specific issue to have, but drunk driving is just the norm in Omaha. It's an annoyance to get a DUI, and nothing more. I was really surprised by this. People get injured or killed, there's a piece in the local paper about it, and how we have to "crack down" on drunk driving, and it's then quickly forgotten. They have the laws on the books to do something about it, but it's a cultural issue, not a legal one. I'm sure a lot of the judges overseeing the drunk driving cases used to do it in their younger days and don't see it as much of an issue. So you need 3 or 4 DUIs before you see any serious repercussions.

7. Taxes. Specifically the new 2.5% "entertainment" tax that was on top of the Nebraska sales tax (5.5%) and the Omaha surtax (2%) raising the total to 10% tax on anything deemed "entertainment" which included prepared food. Again, this would be okay if the city was maintained properly, but the roads are still in horrible state. They'll get patched up around September or October, in time for the snow, again.

8. This is not a young person city. I'll admit, this one isn't Omaha's fault. There's a very specific type of person who would enjoy living here, and I'm very near the polar opposite of that person. Omaha is a "married with 2 kids" city, there's nothing to be impressed by, except for people who have never been anywhere else.

9. Car dependent. Outside of specific areas downtown, Omaha is very car-centric. Anything close enough to walk to doesn't have a feasible walking route. There are very few sidewalks outside of the self-contained residential paths. Bicycle lanes are non-existent, and drivers are particularly hostile to cyclists (not exclusive to Omaha, though.) Also, there are no buses that run into the Western part of the city. So, you can't walk anywhere, it'd be dangerous to try to commute via bicycle, and there are no buses. It's literally quite car dependent.

I'll leave it at that, I can't think of a 10th reason right now. Those are my complaints, some legitimate, some probably tainted by 4 years in a place I'm very at odds with, but that's it.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:17 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,518,426 times
some of these posts are making me cringe. yikes.

The only gripe I have with Pittsburgh that you can call "legitimate" is the poor quality of public transit. The rest of my dislikes are just personal preference/opinion that others may not agree with, which is cool.

1. I don't care much about the Steelers...or Penguins.
2. Although improving, the music scene in Pittsburgh doesn't impress me.
3. Many Pittsburghers have a "Pittsburgh is the best/be-all-end-all" and you don't need to move anywhere else and if you do you're insane.
4. I like larger cities. Pittsburgh is great for its size, but its just a personal preference of mine to enjoy larger cities.
5. There is still a decently large presence of red-neckish close minded Yinzers, especially as you get closer to the burbs.. but again this is slowly improving.
6. I hate PA liquor laws (granted this is not a Pittsburgh problem)
7. The roads aren't the greatest. The topography is partially to blame.

- All in all though, the burgh has treated me very well and I've enjoyed my time here. When I move, it will be a great place to go to "visit home"

Old 06-20-2011, 10:22 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
some of these posts are making me cringe. yikes.

The only gripe I have with Pittsburgh that you can call "legitimate" is the poor quality of public transit. The rest of my dislikes are just personal preference/opinion that others may not agree with, which is cool.

1. I don't care much about the Steelers...or Penguins.
2. Although improving, the music scene in Pittsburgh doesn't impress me.
3. Many Pittsburghers have a "Pittsburgh is the best/be-all-end-all" and you don't need to move anywhere else and if you do you're insane.
4. I like larger cities. Pittsburgh is great for its size, but its just a personal preference of mine to enjoy larger cities.
5. There is still a decently large presence of red-neckish close minded Yinzers, especially as you get closer to the burbs.. but again this is slowly improving.
6. I hate PA liquor laws (granted this is not a Pittsburgh problem)
7. The roads aren't the greatest. The topography is partially to blame.

- All in all though, the burgh has treated me very well and I've enjoyed my time here. When I move, it will be a great place to go to "visit home"

Second that! Though to give some credit the Chairmans Selections and wine selction has improved dramatically in the state over the last ten years and PA is actually today has some of the best prices on high ends wines anywhere. Oddly the State of PA is the largest single purchaser of Alcohol in the world. But the system is so out-dated overall

Old 06-20-2011, 11:33 AM

449 posts, read 1,132,300 times
I know this isnt a major city, but I'll still share:
Massapequa, NY (dont let my location confuse you, i just moved out and still have a lot of ties in massapequa.

10. Everyones so sarcastic! Its really annoying!
9. Everyone's Italian. No diversity at all.\
8. ^leads to constant racism.
7. This town hates every other town on Long Island. Half of the day I hear people bragging about this town and how pathetic the other towns are.
6. Everyone's so rich, and they always shove it in other people's faces.
5. Everyone's so sportsy. Sports are really boring IMO, and the other half of the day everythings sports, sports, sports.
4. 99.9% of long islanders are horrible drivers!
3. the school district is always bragging, even though its actually horrible.
2. Long island is so hard to get around! Everything's so spread out!
1. ITS SO EXPENSIVE! the STUDIO apartment in pequa i just moved out of was $1,300/month! and it was somebody's basement!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.