Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 12:45 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
You are so funny when you say that stuff is not in Louisiania where you live. Who are you trying to fool? Noone believes it.

Yeah, you won't find true religion and chisistian audiglier here. You will find rebel flags, nascar tshirts, wolf tshirts and american eagle. haha
I not only got the usual "Welcome to the Neighborhood" letters from shops, doctors, and dentists, I also got them from churches. Competing for business? "We hope to see you at services this Sunday and welcome you to the congregation". Huh? NEVER got anything like that up north.

Apparently, the Bible Belt is alive and well in Florida too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 12:48 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
How do you change RESORT culture?

Old 05-20-2009, 12:52 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
1) Hurricanes
2) Tourists
3) Unpredictable drawbridge over the ICWW is the only route out
4) 3+ hours from any other city I care to visit
5) Expensive
6) Salt water rusts your car
7) Police are freakin' Nazis
8) Parking is tight
9) Traffic is bad.
10) Dog poop must be picked up, even in your own yard, or $250 fine.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:56 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
I am counting down the days until i leave this hell hole called Columbia SC. Bye Ya'll
I thought you lived in Lexington?

Old 05-20-2009, 12:56 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i love where i live begged for 9 years to move here.
they have their shortcomings
so do i.
i am working on it.
its like CDF its not perfect but is my little window to the world i love my window.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 05-20-2009 at 01:57 PM..

Old 05-20-2009, 12:57 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,491,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I not only got the usual "Welcome to the Neighborhood" letters from shops, doctors, and dentists, I also got them from churches. Competing for business? "We hope to see you at services this Sunday and welcome you to the congregation". Huh? NEVER got anything like that up north.

Apparently, the Bible Belt is alive and well in Florida too.
the only place that you wont see it is miami.

i believe naples is about an hour away

you would have to live in miami not to get the bible belt culture

Old 05-20-2009, 01:11 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
Not here. I live in the deep south and no one really cares that much-- I'm not a churchgoing person. I've been in LR.. maybe I only know people in the nice suburbs but it really isn't so bad. (but then again they can live in a nice home and send their kids to private school.. so i guess its OK everywhere if you can do that) The people I visit in LR are Indian immigrants and they are doing very wel and enjoy LR.

Same thing with Columbia.. I know a lot of dynamic people. You're not going to find douchey things like True Religion jeans, Christian Audigier in mass but I guarantee its there. Heck, kids here wear that stuff but probably not like in the Northeast.

I've honestly only seen "rednecks" in one town in the South..
Sounds like your connections in Little Rock are married with children and high paying careers. Let me tell you that the difference between their experience and that of a young single guy like myself will be like night and day. Little Rock can be great for families wanting the Mayberry lifestyle.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:13 PM

806 posts, read 2,960,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Sounds like your connections in Little Rock are married with children and high paying careers. Let me tell you that the difference between their experience and that of a young single guy like myself will be like night and day. Little Rock can be great for families wanting the Mayberry lifestyle.
Alright.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:58 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
A small town in Central Kentucky

These ten are in no particular order of most to least irritating.

(1) Backwards, "good ol' farm country boy" mindset of local politics
(2) Very friendly people on the outside (generally), but very reluctant to truly accept "outsiders." I've been an "outsider" living within for almost 18 years.
(3) Working in retail, I've found that this particular group of people might well be the laziest, least intellectual and least motivated-to-do-anything-with-their-lives group of people I've ever encountered. Example: Customer: "Where's the...uhmmmm, discs with the country music awn 'em?" Me: "I believe they're called CDs, and you're staring right at them." Another example, and A TRUE STORY: Customer: "Hey boy, do ya'll got 8-tracks?" Me: "Uhmmmm...nooooo, we haven't sold them in fifteen years."
(4) Fewer than 50% of graduates from the local public school go on to any kind of postsecondary training--trade school, beauty school, military, university, etc.
(5) I'm 23. Literally 3/5 of the people I graduated high school with are engaged, married, divorced, have at least one child, or some combination.
(6) Driving EIGHT MILES to Frankfort is considered a big trip and people p*ss and moan about the "horrible" traffic. Frankfort, Kentucky's state capital, only has 30,000 people but is three times bigger than my town.
(7) University of Kentucky...Cincinnati Reds...Cincinnati Bengals. There is no dissent. You must cheer for all of these teams, or keep you mouth shut, or you're an "outsider."
(8) The planning and development patterns of the community are rather trashy, shall we say. Perfectly usable farmland is being usurped to place shoddily-constructed, Section 8-qualifying duplexes and barely single-family homes that will not be inhabitable by a normal person's standards in 20 years.
(9) The Southern twang. Just b/c one has a twang doesn't necessarily mean that they're trashy, unintelligent, undereducated or undesirable...but it sure is a very, very good sign that they are. And in this town, that adage holds true.
(10) The four-lane bypass, almost interstate quality, could be 65 MPH. Instead, it's 45 MPH, and much of it traverses farmland. Clearly this is a speed trap and not about safety. Yes, the cops really enforce it, too.

If I stay in Kentucky, it will be extreme Northern KY (where it looks like I may be moving to in a few weeks!!!) or a few select neighborhoods in Louisville. Even Lexington--and much of Louisville--have a lot of that redneck stuff that just irritates me.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:11 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I thought you lived in Lexington?
Lexington is a suburb of Columbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.